EVE portraits - share tricks, and share yours!

2 Likes

I wanted to create semi-brown cute girls portrait a while ago.
Frederique Osterreich was a first attempt for that. She enlisted the Japanese communities annual portrait contest “Ms.Eve” in 2019, then took the second place in the “cute girl” division.
https://5th-mr-and-ms-eve-jp.wixsite.com/mr-and-ms-eve-jp/2018-1

She was enough cute though, she looked a little bit over weighted from my perspective.
She was doomheimed and I tried to make her reborn again.

Sosogu Hoshihuri is the 2nd.gen of Frederique. Mostly taking over Frederique’s genetics, a little less weighted and boyish.
She looks pretty much similar to Frederique at some degrees.

She won the third place for the “cute girl” division of the Ms.EVE in 2021.
https://missevejapanese6.wixsite.com/mr-and-ms-eve-jp/結果発表

3 Likes

Our friend and colleague would like to throw their image in. @solecist_project

I don’t know if its any kind of advice, but when i make portraits i think about my characters background and what i want them to look like when they are done (usually inspired by some pop culture or perhaps something i just saw in passing). Its the only time i roleplay, when i’m creating an avatar.

Daichi Yamato was originally conceived as an old-blind Japanese shop keeper because i always knew he was going to be my business/industry alt. He was made in 2010 though with the old portraits and the new portraits didn’t quite capture the same ‘feel’. I was never going to get near to what i had.

Instead i had to re-imagine him for incarna and since by this time he had been doing quite a bit of warring (and sabotage) along side all that industry and trading i decided to go for something with a villainous feel. And thats what made me think of The Hood…

7 Likes

Do you have the original portrait? Just curious.

Here are a few of mine!

5 Likes

I don’t. There used to be a website where you could look it up but it is no longer active. There is a large download somewhere, however characters are sorted by character ID, rather than name. I think it would be like searching for a needle in a hay stack.

Chribba has a ton, though i don’t know if he has them all.

Character ID is easy to get, yours is 815492084 @Daichi_Yamato

(https://evewho.com/character/815492084)

I too am in a role playing modus while creating the characters.

Not to specifically create a character that I have in my head - as you have noticed the character creator offers a lot of freedom but not that much freedom - but I often try different options and think about what the character would do and what would fit with the idea of the character that I have in my head.

I usually let the ingame options steer the direction I’m going, they’re the constraints I can work in after all.

And I often revisit older portraits to see if I can modify it further.

1 Like

Thanks for that. I had no idea it was that easy. If i ever manage to download the file that has all the old portraits I’ll try to put the old image here.

1 Like

What’s this?

A Portrait Party to share tips and tricks… and I wasn’t invited?

Best tip in my opinion is to have the slider for the light level set mid way to low. Most of the portrait backgrounds are dark so subdued lighting really helps to add realism to the portrait.

The light level slider is located on the left side of the light placement options row, there’s also numbers above the slider to select various hues, tints and even a ‘Spot Light’ effect as well.

Try to make the lighting on the character match the lighting on the background. Meaning if the background is brightly lit, then the character should be brightly lit and if the background has little light on it then the character should also be the same.

Also try to Incorporate shadows on your character to help present a specific look that goes along with the background. Sometimes the character may need to be turned or posed a certain way to make the lighting effect on the character match the background which will make the entire portrait look more lifelike. Having the view looking up or down with the character looking away will help make the portrait look more like a candid action shot.

Lastly, don’t be afraid to tick all the boxes and add Tattoos, Augmentations, Piercings, etc. With the right lighting and background, your character portrait can look really great and completely different from your normal look. Course as Gerard said, sometimes less is more, meaning a little can go a long way.

The main thing is to experiment and try out different combinations… of everything…

Colored Hue Lighting

Shadowed Lighting

Spot Lighting

Subdued Lighting

Angled Viewing

All the Boxes Ticked

Less Is More

Completely Different Look

6 Likes

Nice to see you here @DeMichael_Crimson , wondered when you would show up! :yum:

I’ve noticed the same and usually have my light slider far on the dark side.

However, not always. Especially when you try to create sharper contrasts between shadow and light for a more intimidating picture it can be good to have your light intensity way to the right as I did in portrait #4 and #6 in the opening post.

And portrait #3 as well, but then for the reason that I wanted a good contrast beteen the background and the character.

1 Like

Yeah, I have some portraits done with bright light, especially if the background is brightly lit, course then again it depends on the situation or picture you’re trying to portray.

Like this portrait below. I wanted to show my character watching Fireworks exploding in the sky above him. For lighting I went with a bright spot and turned him so there was a slight shadow effect on his side. I think the lighting effect and the glare on his sunglasses as well as his pose and the background does a pretty good job of portraying that.

3 Likes

When I first created Von DeMoreno, I was a bit tired and thought I was going for something French, in a nod to the Gallente’s predecessors. What I ended up with, as far as the name, is something more vaguely Italian.

Of course, I had already created the name and couldn’t change it. What to do? That’s when I thought he might’ve changed his name. He started out looking rather formal, like Simon Tam from Firefly, almost like the son of an important politician.

Maybe he’s on the run, I thought. For a while he grew out a beard, before trading in his jaw all together. Blue was all he could find, in spite of the red torso rig. My tendency toward prosthetics for Von told me he had endured something horrible. Something maimed him, and not just physically. While he could’ve had a whole and wholesome body, he chose not to.

I eventually got it out of him. His name was Jean-Renard Delafaux, a politician’s son. While in Capsuleer training, he fell in love with an Amarr woman, but she was permanently killed in a tragedy for which Jean-Renard was blamed.

Using older methods, a group brought Jean-Renard back to life as much as they could. His chest, arms, and jaw were all prosthetics. The group sought to use Jean-Renard’s memories against the Gallente, but he escaped and took the name Von DeMoreno.

After much trouble, Von recovered his beloved’s body, kept in a laboratory for research into the incident where she and others died. Von smuggled her body back home to her family, where they carried out her funeral.

From there, Von set out on a quest for revenge against those who framed him and killed his beloved. It’s a quest with notes from Edmond Dantes, Kaiser Soze, and John Wick, where Von will take years to position himself appropriately for the perfect strike.

Creating a story around my character has helped me to develop him and his look. I’m not well-versed in the lore, nor do I tend to roleplay very well, but I did take some time to develop the character’s portrait based on the story he told me.

(I couldn’t equip the torso rig and the arm simultaneously, and I’ve never liked how the torso rigs look around the throat, so I went with the one arm I could afford.)

As for the specific story of the photo, I thought maybe the authorities or an enemy had boarded his vessel unexpectedly, and I wanted to portray a look in his eyes and posture that doesn’t bode well for the intruders.

6 Likes

I’ve always thought it was a bit amusing when EvE players contemptuously sneered “I don’t roleplay”. Umm…yes you do…we all do…everyone playing EvE is roleplaying as a semi-immortal spaceship pilot in a pretend grimdark galaxy…hate to break it to ya…

Would you be interested in a blue torso rig with the blue jaw thing that came out recently?

3 Likes

Yes, we do, in one sense. It may not be “roleplay” as many think of it, but gaming is a kind of roleplay.

I might be, yes. I’m not aware of such a thing.

2 Likes

This is the Blue Torso Rig, Jaw, Monocle and Pants set… Also has matching Shoes…

5 Likes

I like it, but I’m not sure I like it as much as the arm I’ve got now. I sort of like how Von is a “patchwork,” rather than something so uniform. It’s nice, but not sure it fits the aesthetic I’m going for. Thank y’all for the information, though.

3 Likes

Variety is the spice of life…

Also never look a gift horse in the mouth…

Anyway, you can always wear a shirt with it so just the arms show with the jaw. It’s always good to have options and could incorporate it into your story, like it was a reward for bringing criminals to justice…

By the way, in that photo he’s also got Arm Tattoo’s on with the Torso Rig…

All good points. I just don’t want it to go to waste if it can be useful elsewhere. It’s up to @Xuxe_Xu if they want to contact me to work out a deal for the rig.

I’ve tried the torsorig for some characters, but depending on the shirt and outer clothes it often shows in the neck too.