Falling Active Player Numbers

Well, I un subbed all my 5k accts 2 yrs ago now. All I have left is this this one… With your 5k now gone, maybe we can get CCP’s attn.

After every dumb patch, I check eveoffline to check the player count. I am always dumbfounded that the numbers are stable. Even without dumb changes, the numbers ought to be gradually falling over time, but what do I know?

1 Like

I watch as well and with the price of plex falling, all I can think of is the bots are getting richer?

Edit; Or a new gen of bots? The demographics of the game were never my strong point.

Nullsec is packed compared to two years ago. They aren’t all bots, either. But, they do all seem to speak either Chinese or Russian.

2 Likes

That explainers a lot. Gotta start changing passwords more.

And what ever did happen to the age of chaos? Will CCP announce an end date?

1 Like

I’m pretty sure “Reign” is the opposite of chaos.

My own fault for losing interest enough to miss that. I’ll worry more in the fall when I have more time to play.

Somewhere is EvE one or two player unsubbed their 5 k accounts. i know it numbers says so… just we dont know who …

Its also very interesting phenomenon in eve online forums i hit very often … emphasize of unimportance of individuals… nearly like a holy chant repeating again and again … like many other repeating social psychological bugs …

3 Likes

A standard business truth. Only 1 out of 200 dissatisfied customers will ever say a word when they leave the business never to return. I agree with bluelysian completely. If keep asking the choir if you are doing a good job. You will always receive positive feedback. I never could understand why the NULL SECURITY power brokers hated high security players and the lifestyle. When I was in the Military I was just a run of the mill Sailor Some Navy Seals and Marine Recon came in a bar. They took over a room and the normal folks left. ( No threats, just decided to give these guys some room.) I started to move out and one Seals said where ya going buddy? I said ah you guys deserve to be here alone. Puzzled he looked at me and said you Navy right? I said yes sir I am. He said knock it off pal, party with us. I said oh I am just a regular sailor no elite guy like you all. He said screw that. Without guys like you my elite status is worthless. I am proud you are on my team. Don’t you ever forget that. I ended up winning 120 bucks in poker that night with them. But the lesson is, with no high security low risk players. THE NULL PLAYERS along with EVE WILL DIE!!! I am out until I think I can enjoy eve again. Good luck.

7 Likes

So this is just a thought that crossed my mind, not knowing exactly how PCU is evaluated. For simplicity, this question will assume 24 time zones evenly spread across the world. To start with, my example also assumes that there are 24k accounts spread evenly across these 24 TZ.

Assuming that pre-COVID, all accounts logged in for the same 4 hour block (local time), we would see a level PCU of 4k players. As one TZ logs off, the TZ 4 hours later logs in to replace them.

During COVID, some players may be working from home or out of work, allowing them to login for longer spans. So now we assume that all the accounts log in for 6 hours (same time frame in local time). The PCU would now jump to 6k. This might give the impression of 50% bump in users, but we still just have the 24k.

Next, if we keep the 6 hour play time but now decrease the users to 700 per TZ, you would now have a PCU of 4200, so small spike, but would be down 30% actual accounts.

Like I said, I don’t even know if this is how PCU would look like and I know these are extreme examples, but is it even a plausible concept of misguided implications of using PCU to judge overall game health?

1 Like

A lot of covid restrictions are lifting and summer is coming. We wont see any real numbers till late fall.

2 Likes

This is true, Eve has an ebb and flow that follows the seasons. I suspect this year it may be more dramatic than usual.

1 Like

An opportunity opens at every turn! :wink:

1 Like

There will be a point that oportunity mentality of undertaker collapse.

facts…

current election system is simply BROKEN

3 Likes

But your system does not work either as the EVE player base moves around a lot depending on their current goals. in the other thread it was already pointed out to you null group you have an issues with, the player is actually in Highsec majority of the time.

If they were to use your idea I know immediately who will win the highsec vote. The leader of SICO.

Highsec in general is to fragmented, many players just don’t really care either.

I also do not think the system is actually broken when people are free to vote for whomever they want. They choose to vote, there is no tracking that tells their leadership who did not or who did vote for a member.

Just because people are loyal does not mean the system is broken. Can it be gamed, hell yes. Even your so called fix can be gamed.

Power begets power, as is always with voting. Democracy is really flawed and inefficient system. But, as Churchill once said, other systems were far worse.

are you null block presentative ? your major play style is already well known… as well as other players… this is not a rocket science…

regardless what if one null block aliance give 2 member over 10 to the CSM it is broken and that hurts peoples perspective… It s not because of people doesnt care …

Its just because of people lost their FAITH

1 Like

You are very close to the mark on all points.
CCP are now a corporation driven to ring the last few dollars out of this game. The ambition for this game is dramatically low not like previous years (pre 2018). A dynamic system security status driven by players seems to me to be an obvious goal to work towards. It would be far more interesting and constructive than the segregation we have and the increased factional bickerings between players who advocate Null or High or who cares.
New players are immediately disenfranchised by the establishment who only seek to enslave them into their corp. Also by the less than intuitive tutorials that are incomplete and fairly dull.
The learning curve is both a feature and curse for profit growth but there are fixes.
First, the concept of having the CSM actually doing anything to steer the development and rule set is nonsensical. It is an admission of leadership failure by the developers.

New player here, and loving eve. Things that helped retain me:

1. When I lost a series of ships worth 10M I was nearly ready to give up, some great people gave me the isk I lost back and helped me understand the dangers of low sec, how to stay safe etc.
  2. The career agents and their useful learning experience.
  3. and this is a big one, the rookie help channel. The people there are generally amazing, make you feel included, part of the community and go the extra mile to help you, any new player should discover that instantly (unlike the people here who, if were the first I interacted with, I would never have stayed).
  4. I found a corp and have a good laugh with some great people!
5 Likes