Februrary Balance Update - Assault Frigates and Assault Damage Controls

CCP, excellent changes to my aassault cruisers. The missile bumps are awesome…THANK YOU!!! I would second the request by Makshima Shogo about HAC warp speed. This wouldn’t unbalance anything, just allow us HAC flyers to… well… fly with everyone. lol. Thnak you in advance & keeping fingers crossed for this slight tweak. (and fyi, new assault dmg controls a very cool idea).

eleuth

3 Likes

Me too. Let’s remove all moon poo from the HAC build requirements and replace it with just some 200-ish morphite.
Many more HACs will be flown in no time.

2 Likes

Good Point at (282mil vaga hull) 350mil-450mil fully fitted with the bling it need’s because of tight fitting it’s really expensive to fly for its effectivenes, might as well use a command ship or t3c which is 4-5 times stronger. 100-120mil (hull) would be much more affordable.

2 Likes

Even though I am more active on SiSi, the fitting simulator does estimate the price of a fit of rounded TQ price tags and are pretty accurate.
Right now the price for fitting an assault frigate is around 60 million isk, which is ridiculous.

2 Likes

Exactly. Why fly an arty kite wolf when the svipul is better, has way more utility and is close to the same price.

2 Likes

Drone speed bonuses do indeed only apply to MWD velocity. But ask yourself if it were otherwise, would you want your drones to have a much higher transversal velocity relative to their target?

That actually was his whole point: Light drones don’t really need a tracking bonus, unless they orbit faster than intended. Since they now have a tracking bonus and would be able to hit regardless, it would be good to make them orbit faster to make others miss them. Unfortunately, it doesn’t work…

2 Likes

One thing about drone tracking bonuses - light drones don’t normally out-orbit their own tracking, but when they’re first approaching a target with their MWDs on, once they get there they spend several seconds orbiting at super-speed until their MWDs decycle. They might not need a tracking bonus normally, but it’ll still add at least a little damage during those first few seconds of a fight. It’s not much, but it’s at least something.

3 Likes

pointless changes imo

I believe there was a reason why passive resistances of dmg.control were made as they are but i rly dont understand why active resistances are equal for armor tanked and shield tanked ships…Which in my opinion makes new module unbalanced.

The assault damage control makes no difference unfortunately, fought a RLML Orthrus and with the Assault damage control active the orthrus still killed the Assault frig in about 3-4 seconds. https://zkillboard.com/kill/68058593/ In this fight me and a friend killed the vengeance and just before the vengeance poped the Orthrus landed my friend warped out fine but I was pointed tried to burn out of range but the Orthrus was faster than my wolf and even with the assault damage control on, the incoming dps was rediculas to the point where I don’t even want to be on the same grid as that monster.

Orthrus pilots don’t deserve to get pvp everyone should just warp away from these broken things.

3 Likes

Dude what you want is that assault frigates solo Faction cruisers? Why is it suprising that a Cruiser kills a Frigate?

1 Like

They should solo titans FFS !

The AF should be able to tackle the orthrus long enough for something stronger to get in.

Your missing the point, the whole idea behind re-balancing assault frigs was to give them a roll that was unique. Assault damage control was what came out of it and the idea behind it was that it would give assault frigs the roll of heavy tackle (being able to hold something for long enough for others to burn some range) 4 seconds is not anywhere near enough might as well use an electronic attack frig or interceptors rather for better value.

A lot of people where asking for more unique things like web resistance which would give them better ability to get under guns, suiting frigates better as a whole, but instead they where forced into heavy tackle roll which they still suck at :confused:.

Maybe rapid lights are on course to receive massive nerf’s to bring everything else back to balance again then yea AF’s would be decent for heavy tackle but until then :confused: sad days.

Edit: https://www.eveonline.com/article/p4ejjg/balance-changes-coming-in-the-march-release, seems the orthrus has been nerfed a bit will have to see how the new one fairs before further comments.

It doesnt matter how much they nerf the Orthrus. The ship is not the problem. Rapid Lights are. It doesnt matter if its an Orthrus or a Caracal unloads at a frig or assault frig, it will die. Essentially rapid lights would not be bad either but they are too easy to fit. An orthrus can have the exact same fit used with Heavy Missilies, Assault Heavy or Rapid Light. And it is not the assault frigates that needs to be placed in god tier pvp as they will be now. I mean go and find anything that can beat the new Assault Damage Control in a 1v1 frigate sized fight. They just made them too strong in their own field. What they should of done is increase the fitting requirements of rapid lights so pilots using them would have to sacrifice close to all their tanking capabiities if not all. And yes while this doesnt solve situations where an AF gets demolished by a Rapid Light Orthrus in seconds. But would reduce the number of Orthrus pilots overall since they would lack in any other fight facing opponents from their own tier.

1 Like

Can we get something like it for mining ships? Offers a temp protection until help can come and save us? Something like this would be usel for orca.

There is one already for the rorqual if i remember right lol

Okay, so. I am pretty late to this party but I will crash in anyway.

I can honestly say that I don’t like the Assault Damage Control module. I feel it’s just a bit one trick pony gimmicky. I’ve been trying to mess around with this module to see what I can make it do and it seems to only do a few things well.

1. It gives you near invulnerability for a few seconds to allow a “Heavy Tackle” role. Bit of a dull fix for AF’s.

2. If you ancillary rep tank you can use the ADC as a buffer or boost to a standard rep whilst your ancillary rep is loading

3. It’s an “I Win Button” when fighting against other frigates.

It gives AF’s an utterly ridiculous advantage vs other frigates as a simple “fifteen second invulnerability” button. Will mean no one will engage AF’s in anything other than T3D’s which just compounds the problem of the fact T3D’s are just a better option than AF’s. This module is also a bit weird for HAC’s. It works similarly in the fact that it’s simply a fifteen second “Can’t kill me” button.

There is nothing flexible about this module. Perhaps that’s why I don’t like it. I do like the idea of a module that can do these kinds of things but I think it needs to be able to do more things at a more granular level.

Personally, I think this module would work well if it required fuel just like ASB’s. If you charged this module with cap boosters and then got a comparative boost out of the size of cap booster used you could balance this as a strength to time active system.

For example, a small ADC with cap booster 25’s loaded in would offer a small boost to resistances but would last a long time as it would fit several in it. If it was loaded with 200’s it would get a single cycle with maximum boosts to resistances.

So say if the module had a capacity of 9m3 it could fit 9 CB25’s. The module would have a 10 second cycle time so it would last for 90 seconds. 25’s would boost the modules active effectiveness to 15% shields 15% armour and 40% hull . 50’s would give 25% to armour / shields and 40% hull for 40 seconds. 75’s would give 35% - 35% - 50% for 30 seconds. 100’s would give 60% - 60% - 60% for 20 seconds. 150’s would give 75% - 75% - 75% for 10 seconds and 200’s would give 80% - 80% - 80% for 10 seconds.

I think this would make the module far more useful and a medium version of it for HAC’s can easily be balanced to this also.

I was considering proposing a different module that would be a high slot module that would work very similarly to this (was thinking of calling it a Power Shunt Module). It would be more versatile in that you could set a mode for it.
For example when set to capacitor mode it would boost capacitor recharge rate in granular steps like explained above.
When set to propulsion mode it would boost the effectiveness of prop modules, again, in granular steps.
When set to defensive mode it would work like a ADC (as set out above).
When set to Countermeasure mode it would buff resistances to EWAR and neuts.

This way you can change things on the fly but only get short buffs to specific areas and require long reload times to switch. This way AF’s and HAC’s can work in an aggressive “Multi-role” area where their job is killing support ships and heavy tackle.
This, however, would mirror how T3D’s work. Not sure if that would be a good thing or a bad thing though as T3D’s work on a passive system and a Power Shunt Module would work on a short active system maybe it’s different enough?

1 Like

The cap booster option is not a bad idea, but your missing one vital point. Assault damage control’s don’t make you immortal they only double your ehp for 15seconds, destroyers and cruisers can still shoot you down through the adc pretty decently, frigates can control you for a little bit, brawler frigates (if glass cannon fit) are going to be countered pretty hard by af’s but most people fly control ship’s so its not as powerful as you think.

jag vs slicer and magus, slicer gets scrammed and its fighting t2 mini resist’s with lasers and dies. Jag holds the magus out of blaster range but the drones tear it to peices through the assault damage control while the rockets do little damage to the drones:

1 Like

Blockquote

@Makshima_Shogo I’m nor trying to be a bad person here but I really don’t like the new Jaguar. It’s damage potential is utterly terrible and it’s fitting is hideous. There isn’t enough CPU. There aren’t enough launchers. and making it do anything particularly well is very difficult.

I see from your fit you’ve gone for a scram kite kind of fit. I’m guessing it works when grabbing brawling frigates but engaging any destroyer in a scram kite is bloody reckless. Especially a drone destroyer which have fantastic damage over time attributes.
The way to beat destroyers is to be able to utterly overwhelm their tank (of which there should be none - just damage) or kite the living daylights out of them which can be tricky if they have fit for good range which they may have done.

In that scenario above you did well to kill the Slicer. I imagine your ADC actually gave you the time to do so if you were being engaged by both at the same time. But the Magnus is designed to out tank you. It’s not a classical destroyer and your fit doesn’t deal enough damage because the Jaguar (in my opinion) is poor.

Jaguar should get an extra launcher in my opinion. It also needs more CPU if CCP insist on making the most CPU costly equipment have bonuses on the same same hull. I mean c’mon. Shield boosting AND missiles? and not a load of CPU? Hawk is just as bad!

3 Likes