[GalFed] The Liberation of Viriette and Fislipesnes

So, I’m really not sure what you want? It sounds to me like you are angry with the Federation for sending the Navy to the Intaki homeworld, yet also you are angry with the Federation for not sending the Navy to the Intaki home world. You can’t have both. It sounds to me like you are just yelling at the Federation no matter what it does.

I have never liked the idea that the Intaki home world was included in the CEMWPA act. I think doing so was a poor decision by Federation officials, but like Imrik has stated concessions were made. We have no idea what the conditions were during the discussions while drafting the act, and we have no idea whether Intaki or any other of these CEMWPA systems were demanded be included by the Caldari with the intent of causing disillusion and destabilization between Federal signatories. All we know is that all out war was looming, and decisions were made to avoid that and protect as many as possible from feeling the effects of war.

My heart goes out to the Intaki people for everything they have suffered through during the warzone conflicts, and I can understand the Intaki’s frustrations with the Fed for what has happened to them, but is the Federation not allowed to make up for their mistakes? I would rather change happen late than never happen at all, and the Federation deploying forces in mass to these systems is a change for the better. With this support, the State can be flushed out and the Intaki can be left to rebuild their foundation once the situation is secure. I do not believe that this force will be here to stay, however it is completely necessary at this time to keep the State from simply taking it back.

2 Likes

And now the latest news includes FIO Agents being embedded in sweeping marine units on Intaki.

Naturally any Intaki that aren’t welcoming of this massive occupation force and have conducted business with the State will have to be ‘dealt’ with.

I fear gravely for the Intaki people.

2 Likes

I mean, if you wanted to make sure your marines weren’t causing massive diplomatic incidents, you might tell them there were FIO agents looking over their shoulders.

But I do understand that a Caldari pilot’s going to see anything the Fed does in the worst possible way.

3 Likes

War hasn’t been declared. You do realize that that means, by “flushing out” Caldari naval and ground forces, that the Federation has by intergalactic legal definition, committed murder of a foreign nations people, right? I’m sure by the way talk about it that you don’t actually care that Caldari lives were lost and that the Federation has brought us to the threshold of intergalactic war, you’re just like “yay, good guys won everybody!”, while we’re burying our dead.

My problem with the Federation, and something it’s oh so morally just defenders chose to blithely ignore, is how inherently corrupt and manipulative and power hungry it is. Everyone talks about how it’s not expansionist, but they’re wrong. It doesn’t use hard power to exert it’s influence, it uses soft power. It’s already shaped the Minmatar tribes through it’s influence, and has absorbed a big number of their people into the Fed. How long until it decides that the Republic is a failed experiment, and pushes the Minmatar to join the Federation “for their own good”?

My brother is a baseliner serving in the Protectorate. He wasn’t in Intaki when this happened, but he has been deployed there before. And it’s lucky he wasn’t there, because do you know how many Fed marine heads woulda rolled if my brother was killed during this? It would have been a lot.

2 Likes

You claim the Federation acted legally and within its authority to intervene in matters of human security. Who was not secure in Intaki that it required the Federation to violate the Militia War Powers Act? Intaki and the surrounding systems were firmly held by Caldari militia forces. Federation militia attempts at taking the system and surrounding regions were feeble at best. Federation backed militias failed to meet any of their objectives. And since your proxies failed to make any meaningful gains, President Aguard threw a tantrum and violated the law. Now throne sniffing sycophants are rushing to justify these actions after the fact. We Intaki should be thankful that the Federation has carried out this action and those who protest…well we know how the Federation deals with those Intaki. The historical precedent is there: appreciate the freedom the Federation brings you…or else. One wonders how much more brazen the current administration leading the Federation will grow, and if even the Intaki exiled to Syndicate should likewise prepare to be liberated.

3 Likes

Well said. Nothing has true value without liberty.

Why don’t you tell that to the occupiers? They seem intent on victimizing the constellations they illegally invaded. I personally attempted to impede their first incursions as soon as the news broke, but was unable to stop their fleets from cynoing into Viriette.

You know what’s most interesting about the claims that the Federation violated the CEMWPA?

The State’s not making it. They’ve called it ‘outrageous’, but not ‘illegal’. So far, nobody who has knowledge of (or access to) the specific text of the CEMWPA is calling this move—either part of it—illegal. Of course, that doesn’t mean it can’t be illegal… but you’d think one of the people who knows what that treaty says would be pushing that, if it was.

2 Likes

Does it ever concern you that you so often make claims from absence rather than from evidence? It’s almost as if you rely purely on whatever you invent in your mind to make claims. Why is that?

And why shouldn’t he? The Caldari are, above all else, a practical people. They understand oppression is a facet of their everyday life and survive however they can. Denizens of the State are quick to evaluate and respond to an act of tyranny when they see it.

Our Federation’s ideals are not above reproach when they lead to bloodshed. We can not allow ourselves to become morally complacent and assume our own righteousness. That’s what the Empire does and you’ve seen the consequences.

1 Like

Aguard said In her little speach that the Federation “chose in the past to pursue a path of diplomacy and observance of law” which implies to me that they knew full well that they were overstepping their bounds. Sorta undermines your take there. COMCORD also said it was a grave breach of the CEMPWA, so… yeah. Illegal.

2 Likes

Technically the signatories of the CEMWPA have been at war since the agreement was signed, they’ve merely relegated that war to capsuleer militias rather than their own navies. What the Federation did was change the theater of the engagement without notice.

I don’t know the specific terms of the CEMWPA so I don’t know what provisions it made for this kind of action but given CONCORD’s response, I’d say that the Federation is, at the very least, walking the line if not outright in violation of it. The loss of life is saddening.

Accusing the Federation of expansionism because it permits people into its borders without forcing them to adopt local cultures and customs is ironic. You cannot fault the Federation for the spreading of its ideals and cultures when people choose to adopt them without coercion or force, that’s simply an exercise of choice.

This is not in the pattern of behavior for the Federation and is an unlikely occurrence, at best.

I am pleased your brother was not in the middle of this.

2 Likes

Mr Schereau. I was wondering if you had seen the Galnet videos of your compatriots screaming as Federation ships descended on their world.

I have.

It seems that your people were more fond of the security the State provides than you think.
I’m sure that the Federation has convinced you the shrieks were actually cries of joy as liberty descended onto their world on antimatter charges.

I can’t speak for the entirety of the Intaki people, I don’t represent them. There are the outspoken elements of the ILF and other similar-minded individuals who clearly appreciate the presence of and cooperation with the State and there are those that bristled against it.

The Federation has made no attempt to convince me, or anyone else, that those ‘shrieks’ were anything other than what they were: the understandable reaction of a civilian population witnessing the sudden, unannounced arrival of a military force.

If “choice” is all the Federation were merely providing for the Intaki people, perhaps they should cede the entire constellation to the Intaki Syndicate. Of course that would never be acceptable to the politicians in the Federation, nor is this sudden attack anything more than a territorial grab.

Intaki Prime and the Intaki region of space chose to be a part of the Federation by signing the Federal Charter. Apart from the vocal outcry of certain elements, the majority of Intaki has not called for secession from the Federation.

I’m certainly not arguing that the present situation is ideal but the situation hasn’t been ideal in very, very long time.

I suppose when you exile all those who would see Intaki free of Federation rule, the only votes you count are the ones from people who already agree with you. Is this the form of democracy you set out to fight for?

You’re referring to an isolated incident which occurred during an extremely tumultuous time and under the governance of an ultra-nationalist party that has never risen to power in the Federation since. The Federation has not habitually exiled those who disagree with it or who desire secession, an isolated incident does not a pattern of behavior make.

In truth, if the Federation exiled everyone who ever spoke of secession, it would be an empty region of space.

Democracy is governance of the majority not governance of the vocal minority.

1 Like