GM's holding strangers accountable for toxic behavior

At various times, we see claims that gankers are just the alts of nullsec players and while that has been true for some groups (eg. Goons and specific parts such as Miniluv, KUSION SPECIAL TEAM, etc., Test, Darwinism, Frat.), there have also been several lowsec groups that have ganked also, notably Shadow Cartel (https://zkillboard.com/alliance/495729389/kills/highsec/page/2/) still doing so, Snuffed Out (https://zkillboard.com/alliance/99004901/kills/highsec/) still doing so and LowSechnaya (https://zkillboard.com/alliance/99003557/kills/highsec/) still quite active.

Lowsec groups even now, go to highsec to gank, even though they are already in lowsec playing most of the time.

On top of that, some of the more well known gankers in CODE. and Safety. regularly pvp/pvp’d in lowsec as well.

Prior to being banned for his toxicity, loyalanon for example spent a lot of time in lowsec (https://zkillboard.com/character/1941616627/) and even Aiko. heads to lowsec as well (https://zkillboard.com/character/2114209292/kills/lowsec/).

The numbers in lowsec wouldn’t really change if gankers had to go their instead. They’d either stay in null, or otherwise be among the pirates that are already in lowsec.

Hopefully the Faction Warfare changes that CCP is working on bring a lot more action back to lowsec, as it’s a shell of it’s former self, but that’s symptomatic of the low login numbers the game has currently. Fingers crossed that lowsec offers incentive for people to be there, rather than being the place you ‘have to go to not be green’.

Some of my earliest eve memories (2010) are being can flipped. Or war decs by PVP corps bullying my mining corp and I loved it. Why the hell would I make threats… it’s all game mechanics. I started as a miner and I soon starting training combat skills when I saw I needed to defend myself ( later extracted my mining skills lol) . Soon after we had a POS in a wormhole with no real clue what we were doing. It was great. So exciting back then.

For my part in this, I apologize. When I posted that from corp chat, I had no idea that this was a thing that is done in eve. I do not take suicide as a joke, but I over reacted without any way to validate the information. I had no idea that gankers face that kind of garbage every day or at all. I had seen many posts on the forums about gankers but they didn’t go down that path of death threats and such.

Please keep these sentiments tempered – 90% of the fuel that drives people to gank is to get hatemail, hateful comments, and otherwise salty emotional responses from the other party.

I would be willing to be that in over 95% of cases, the hateful response received by the ganker was a source of enjoyment, for them to laugh at the continued misery of the person, and that any time that said salty response was sent to a GM, it was a malicious act to further punish the person that was ganked where the ganker felt absolutely no threat from the person (though the message sent to the GM will likely say otherwise).

If one person reports a hatemail with threats against them, I could understand this being an issue as stated in the OP. if said one person ends up being the only common factor in the 40+ reports by the one person where “everybody is always after me and threatening me”, that is a different scenario and perhaps the toxicity that was egged on is with the person instigating it. – Mind you, not by the suicide gank or otherwise in-game activity, but by the messaging “RPing as a ganker” that eggs on the salty person to be ever more salty in reponse. Similar to what you see in a jury room, there is always more to the story than the 30 second snippet showing one perspective with a very 1-dimensional twist on what the larger situation is and how it came to be.

Things get compounded when the ganker also has a twatter or other social media where they post about everything they do with geo-location info of the starbucks that they are doing it from… stupid is as stupid does and maybe one day this next generation will understand the value of having internet privacy to keep in-game stuff in-game and remove potential options for others to bring it IRL… probably getting a bit off topic at this point, so I’ll end it here.

2 Likes

Easy there keyboard warrior, alt forum poster…

You can still be a big bad pirate/ganker or whatever… and still have common decency as a person. That counts the other way around as well. Play the ship/structure/corp whatever, never the person behind the screen.

3 Likes

There’s a very short list of threads tangentially political and even shorter list of people who have actually bothered to read any of it, and I pissed off a group of people for committing the crime of trying to be reasonable and engaging.

As the ISD rigorously clean up over there I’m not surprised targeted attacks are spilling over. At this point, I just let them lie and stew in their own words. They think they do me harm, but they do me a favor instead.

2 Likes

Somebody that got ganked said that they were a criminal lawyer, would track down everyone that ganked him and send them to jail.

She has been promoted to GM due to the excellent job she has been doing?

I didn’t know which GM at the time but feel free to reach out to @GM_IceCream if you’d like.

1 Like

Godwin’s Law strikes again I see. Shoo.

1 Like

@Jaurl_Kurvora If you wish to actually discuss such serious behavior that goes on and are wondering what measures are being done to curb such toxic behavior I invite you to discuss as openly as you feel that is appropriate here.

Undocking your ship is consenting to PvP. But maybe they should add a little checkbox when you undock where you agree that with undocking you consent to PvP, otherwise you can’t simply undock. Just so it’s finally clear to all the extreme space-lawyers out there

2 Likes

They will claim they didn’t read it and thought it is about something else. :stuck_out_tongue: :wink: :popcorn:

3 Likes

You’re being funny, right? I’ve witnessed first hand the harassment the pilots face in there “gang up on the victim” channel. Telling them to pay up or uninstall the game. Not to mention other things.

I can’t remember if I can post chat logs here.

Chat logs are fine, zkill is not if its meant to shame someone

1 Like

Both are fine just not allowed to post responces from GM’s. But if you post someones zkill to shame them you might get shammed instead for bad sportsmanship.

1 Like
  1. Use of kill reports & chatlogs to troll & flame is prohibited.
    Pilots are permitted to post chatlogs and kill reports on the EVE Online forums if it adds to and is relevant to ongoing discussion, however this may not be done to flame, troll, insult, shame or bait other corporations other pilots
2 Likes

Reply to July? Did it really need to be revisited? On an Alt also? @Count_Vlad_Tepes1

I still hold to this day the same stance towards Aiko and saw nothing wrong with that ingame chat channel when I held access!

I do not think this is the right thread to bring up subject matter like this unless you can show actual proof and suggest stop making waves. This is not the place to cause trouble thank you.

This is not an alt, the first count was biomassed.

Check out the title. This is a perfect place to bring up toxic behavior.

I work a full-time job but I will peruse my chat logs when I get home.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.