Guidance for a Noob

Now that I’ve installed everything and I’m ready to go, I was hoping the community could help in pointing me in the right direction.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend what’s needed out there. I want to eventually join a fleet, and I want to be of use, so what type of profession are most needed?

More logistics? More electronic warfare? Tacklers? Like, what do you wish your fleet had more of? What’s rare or in short supply?

Also, I was curious…is there any info on what faction has the smallest population? I figure if something is needed or in demand, in would be more so in whatever faction has the smallest player base? Are there any websites out there that track population? Specifically in terms of faction?

Sorry if it seems as though I’m asking a lot of questions, but I just want to be useful. Thanks for reading all of this, and thanks in advance for all suggestions and recommendations.

Suggestion #1
Don’t ask us what is needed, ask yourself what you want to do. You’re more likely to enjoy yourself that way. Get good at that thing THEN look for work/corp in that field.

1 Like

Okay… so… I’m going to go on a limb and assume you are thinking that grouping works in a manner similar to other MMOs.
That manner being: “Look for fleet, get chosen based on which roles are popular for each activity and/or most used, go!”

Things are a bit different here in EVE.

For starters:

• “Casual Fleets” are not terribly common. There are some exceptions out there… but the general rule is that people fleet up with others they know. Usually within corporations or alliances.

• Your “profession” can be changed with a single ship and/or module. Try not to pigeonhole yourself into too specific a role until you get a feel for things (and know when being “specialized” is a good thing).

• All roles are generally welcome in most fleets. Especially if you are a newbie. The exception to this will be “hyper-specialized” fleets like Black-Ops, Tech 3 Doctrines, and capital warfare (Don’t worry about not joining these kinds of fleets. They are more stress than they are worth!)

• Races, factions, bloodlines… from a gameplay perspective they don’t hold much weight.
    Once you create a character you will have neutral standings with pretty much all entities in the game. It is up to you to decide which area of space you want to set up shop in. Do you want to be close to the economic center of the game? Closer to PvP action? Somewhere the population is more sparse?
    As an example: My character here is a Gallente that can fly any faction’s ships, use all weapon types, has fought in the Minmatar Militia, and has a pretty nice stockpile of Amarrian laser crystals and ships. When I have time, I log in and wander around doing a bit of trading and exploring in all faction spaces.

• Your “success” (however you determine this) in most activities will be based more on the people you know rather than your skill as a player and power as a character. Talk with people… be social… make friends… make enemies… chat with people who blow you up… chat with people you blow up.
    The more connections you make, the more your reputation grows, and the more things you can do.

4 Likes

This is very good advice. ^^

If you are a complete new starter I would advise you complete the tutorial and all of the career agents. This will give you a reasonable knowlegde of the basic game mechanics. As previously said you can then decide what aspect of the game you enjoy and go down that route. Having said that I would say “try all the things, do all the things”, when you first start you have very little to risk so yes take a corvette into lowsec and lose it etc. Get some experience and within a few months you will have a better idea of direction.

Alternatively once you have completed the career agents you could look at joining Eve University. They have several campuses in different locations/security and you can try the different playstyles including the fleets that EveUni organises.

Hope that helps.

1 Like

Everyone on this board was once in the same position as you. Previous posters offered excellent advice. Basically, what do you want to do?

1. Blow up other players? (that is called PVP–player versus player)
  2. Build Stuff (Industry)
  3. Watch Netflix while playing Eve (mining)
  4. . Run around scanning anomalies (Exploration)
  5. Dozens of other things, and combinations thereof? (hauling, lowsec, nullsec, wormhole life, PVE)
  6. All of the above with other like-minded people (join a corporation)
  7. Satisfy your inner a**hole? (ganking)

Eve is a marathon, not a sprint. Tutorial agents, career agents, and Sisters of Eve Epic Arc will give you exposure to many aspects of the game. Eve Wiki helps me out to this day.

Oh…and you will die at some point. No big deal. Just have fun and good luck.

1 Like

I would go a step further and say this:

(Warning: This is purely my opinion)

• A relative newbie’s first goal should be to make a nice pool of ISK / resources for PvPing.
  • While collecting ISK / resources, look up different fits and tactics.
    – There is a ship fitting paradigm newbies should be aware of: Ships can be fit for speed, tank, damage, and/or utility/E-war. A “good” shp fit focuses on 2 - 2.5 of those qualities. Any more and a ship will not be able to perform well.
    – For newbies, I would say to focus on “damage-speed” fits more than anything else. Since a fair amount of modules and character skills are need to tank properly, it makes more sense to “go for the kill” rather than outlast an opponent.
  • Set up a hanger full of equipment and ships (that have been bought in bulk) and pre-fit the ships.
  • Go out into Low-sec (0.4 to 0.1 systems) and see who you can fight. Be it on gates, in asteroid belts, in complexes, missions, etc. Look around and explore! :smiley:
    – See about avoiding a few particular systems: Amamake, Old Man’s Star, Rancer. These systems often have organized camps on them. Not a good way to enter into Low-sec.
  • You WILL die. But see if you can have a conversation with the people you fought. Be polite and maybe even funny… even if the kill/death was kinda lame.
  • If you fight the same people often enough and show “promise” and/or they like you… you may be invited to fly with them.
  • PvP corps are primarily centered around seeking conflict with (or outright blowing up) other players. However, they need to farm ISK and resources too to maintain their lifestyle.
    – Learn from them. They may teach you ways to make the most money in the shortest amount of time. And the PvP skills you pick up will help you safeguard what you earn.
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.