Holiday Traditions

As station-dwelling spacers, we generally don’t celebrate harvest festivals or any particular planet’s solstice among my Clan, but we’re right about the midpoint between Industrial Accident Day and the Yoiul festival, and that means that we’re right in the middle of a two month period where we traditionally drink heavily and tinker with machinery that’s probably dangerous

Which is basically the same as every day outside that two-month period. Have to admit, that’s kind of a thing about lives spent more or less entirely in space… holidays tend to be more about events in peoples’ lives, and less about potentially arbitrary milestones in planetary orbits.

I think I have a cousin’s birthday coming up, though. I should probably send him a new set of microtronics tools.

6 Likes

My family, my clan, do not celebrate mid-Winter like so many of our fellow Minmatar. We come from a warm world, and live near the equator at that, so Winters are not particularly long or harsh.

There are two major festivals on Onga IV, and both relate to the major events of the agricultural year; planting and harvesting. They are celebrations of life and of family, of youth and love, of growing old with those you care about, and the satisfaction of a job well done and a life well lived.

These festivals usually take place over several weeks, with a whole range of performances, parties, parades, and other suitably thematic events. However, as well as being a time of celebration, they are also probably the Clan’s period of hardest work for the whole year.

There is one more “holiday” tradition we follow, although it is not treated in the same way as the others at all. While technically a celebration, the performing of the Voluval is often a serious, tense affair. Our Clan is not large, so we don’t have enough young ones to require a Voluval ceremony every year, but when it does take place the surrounding Clans for hundreds of miles will come to our home to lend their support. And to see the results for themselves of course.

It is very, very, very rare that a mark of ill omen does appear, but the possibility is enough to make everyone nervous. The mood of the ceremony lifts to an almost frantic, whirling, joyous celebration once it is complete. It’s really something special to see. Many of our eligible men and women find each other on this night. Some of these relationships last lifetimes, and serve to strengthen our bonds of friendship with the neighbouring clans.

It is a strange and wonderful night, and even as a capsuleer, I make sure I attend every Voluval that my clan takes part in.

5 Likes

I like to spend a few quiet days with Midnight and my cats. Years of being forced to unpleasant family occasions has made me appreciate time alone at this time of year.

3 Likes

with coming from orien iv there are different traditional holidays. the planet has a long journey around its star longer then matar around pator to be honest a bit more the five and a half times.
so there are five matar yearings festivals which exact dates changing from year to year. the day is full of festivities, with bonfires and art contests.

Then there are festivals each 121 days to celebrate the passage of eldulf iii around the star. the planet is one of the swiftest temperate world in the constellation and adjected lawful space.
(it is known as the desert cheetah world and though with a median temperature of 20 deg celsius harch to live good for training desert live, initiation rituals and arid region agriculture)
at these days there is a one day holiday with a fairs and markets honouring the spirits is done at these days.

and 7721 days there is a gift festival in honour of another rotation around the star.

oh birthdays are celebrate each matar year, the yulai year has been adopted in so far a person on orien iv might tell you three numbers when asked aboit age.

5 Likes

My own traditions are trying to avoid stress as much as possible and being disappointed with whichever party I choose to attend to celebrate the new year.

3 Likes

Who has time for traditions? Time is a resource and I’ll intend to spend it on a few projects that need finishing. But let me be honest with myself, the holidays are a lonely time for people without families. So I’ll probably end up drinking my way to the bottom of a bottle, and then make a mistake I’ll regret waking up to the next morning.

5 Likes

I like to take a party drake with fireworks in to null and party with the locals.

3 Likes

Usually eat a lamb.

…a whole one.

2 Likes

We can be friends. But first, I must know your opinion about lamb testicles.

3 Likes

You seemed a little sheepish about admitting that.

4 Likes

While Midwinter or any other baseliner holiday means little to me now, I can tell you what the clan I was born into once did.

For them, the beginning of the Wind Season was the time of Remembrance.

They’d gather near the sacred cave, each holding a lamp with one side shaped like a ritual mask, and recite the names and deeds of the known ancestors, inviting them to join the “party”.

Like: “Asmund Hilur, a slave, a free man. You fought in the Rebellion. At the battle of Ani you slew Garak the Gilded aboard his ship in personal combat. After the war you came to Bosena to marry Gifur Arnod and settled there. Your children were Aswulf, Asfrid and Gifur the Younger. We remember you. I, Jaend, of your blood, remember you. Come, join us.”

Then, when the crones decide that the most important ancestors are already present, the people would go to the, uh, “great hall” and feast.

Mind you, this all was happening in the ruins of an abandoned mining colony that housed a large refugee camp. The cave was the only natural thing there; the “great hall” was a former warehouse of some sort. The “revelers” were dressed in several layers of old ragged clothing because of the blistering cold, and had to take off their breathing masks to speak. Their holiday feast consisted of expired Federal army rations, mushrooms from the tunnel farm and some moonshine made for the occasion.

It was a sad sight.

7 Likes

Avoiding family.

1 Like

Winters were harsh for the first settlers on my home planet and many died that first winter but our people made it through by banding together and caring for one another.

This time of year we celebrate those early colonists and the social bonds that helped our community survive. We hang lights in the trees to symbolise the light of compassion and community that help us conquer the darkness of winter and see us through to the spring. It’s also traditional to have the whole community get together to make a big feast to which everyone is invited.

I like to spend the holidays planetside with family, it’s one of my favourite times of the year.

6 Likes

does your clan require fresh lambs often? if yes i could offer you a deal on good lambs.

2 Likes

The island upon which the Abbey was founded does not experience much in the way of winter, being equatorial in climate. Nonetheless, the tradition is that the very first missionary temple was consecrated about this time, and so festival ceremonies are held alongside the feast days of three saints dear to the community.

Those of us in servitude are permitted at this time to hold reunions with those we might consider family. In most cases, that means our brood mothers. Sons and their mothers will sit together around campfires and share stories of the year. Sometimes, legends from a more ancient time are shared, especially those parables that illuminate how far we have come and the blessings of God.

Sadly, most of those once dear to me are dead and my mother - though living still - no longer feels comfortable in my presence after I was selected for the capsuleer program. I fear that she considers her true son to be a lifeless corpse in some sterile laboratory and that I am a strange spirit come to haunt her nights.

Thus, when duty permits, I spend this time in prayer and self-mortification within the Abbey precincts set aside for such retreat.

3 Likes

I spend the holidays feeling smugly superior to the people who have holiday traditions.

It’s not a tradition.

4 Likes

Simply a shift in focus?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.