How do you protect yourself?

Hello, I’ve recently been experimenting with exploration (in a Heron) in wormhole space. However, although I’ve been d-scanning constantly, I’m still attacked and destroyed whenever I find and warp to a signature, by cloaked Astero’s.

So, I’m wondering what I can do to find these ships, or what I can do to avoid them?

1 Like

ECM drones can momentarily break their lock allowing you to escape, you do have to be tanked enough to live long enough for them to jam him though.

1 Like

Hola,

You will have to react very fast and be very much vigilant about your surroundings. It’s a tradecraft which takes time to learn. So, just don’t give up and keep learning in cheep ships and you will get there.

Ask people who killed you what happened. I’m sure that those on your last kill-mail will advise you. Just be nice.

The most reliable way how to evade is probably to warp off before they finish locking you.

Heron is not the best ship for that. Probe or Imicus can evade Astero. I think that Heron would do that also, but it’s just harder and for a new player very challenging.

Once anything materializes in your overview, don’t wait and just warp off immediately.

When you hack a can, always keep in your mind that the first and foremost task is to get out and be ready to do that at any time immediately. Don’t be too much focused on hacking.

Cheers,

BB

1 Like

3 WCS allow you to remove a faction scram of warp.

Alas the Heron only has 2 low slots and probably should consider using one of them for a damage control or power diagnostic unit :slightly_smiling_face:

Seriously, there are 2600 wormholes - most of them are empty most of the time. I suspect OP is scanning for wormholes in a densely populated area and is falling prey to people who set traps. I would recommend moving to an unpopulated region far away from any trade hub.

yea, so you go from 1k EHP to 1.2k ehp and die in 6s instead of 5 ? (did not check the real numbers, I know they are wrong)

(1467->1885 EHP with a toon)

2 Likes

There is a target penalty timer after de-cloak which gives you few seconds, so you should always keep an eye on the overview and be able to escape, also keep the sound on, I don’t use cloaked asteros, but warp Sabre to your location, so if you do not see it on dscan, you should be able to see/hear when it lands. And it does it really fast…

The Sabre can bubble as soon as it lands and then target you, so imo these are the hardest to escape from, WCS won’t save you, only fast reactions. If I set up a trap and put an already cloaked Sabre in the signature then you are pretty much screwed.

In my experience cloaky frigates are hardest to catch, even if I bubble the entrance wormhole you can just slow boat cloacked and exit anyway, so I’d advise you to go for one, be it Astero or the T2 versions.

My pacifier i use to catch explorers has 6 points, no explo frigate can fit enough WCS to run. Dont use WCS.

don’t use warp core stabs as alot of hunters will fit two scramblers.

instead use either inertia stabs or nanofiber modules in your low slots. this will decrease the time it takes to get to warp.

also equip a burst jammer in one of your mid-slots. when you activate it, it has a chance to break the ganker’s lock for a moment, allowing you to get away. but only activate ONCE you’re locked, but not before.

ec-300 drones also have a chance to jam your ganker, stopping them from locking you.

There was a disco proteus.

decloak, blast them off, re-cloak. No need to lock to tackle, deploy drones, or shoot. Just need seconds from uncloack to re-cloak. Could kill the pod too.

Gets nerfed, but might still doable with other ship.