So yesterday I decided try my hand ad wormhole exploration for the first time. I’ve been doing lowsec for a few weeks and I’m fairly comfortable in my little corner. I fit out my Buzzard like so:
- High: Cov Ops Cloak, Core Probe Launcher II
- Mid: Afterburner, Scan Acquisition Array I, Scan Pinpointing Array I, Data Analyzer I, Relic Analyzer I
- Low: Inertial Stabs x2
After finding a couple relic sites, I went in to do them. I kept my d-scan open and pinged it every 20 sec or so. After about halfway through the first relic site, and with nothing appearing on D-scan (including probes, which I have it set up to see), I suddenly had a Astero uncloak < 5k from me and proceed to point & web me, unload it’s drones, and generally make it a bad day. So a couple questions:
- Is this tactic of flying in cloaked to close range typical of WH space or did I just get unlucky?
- Is there something I should have done different?
- Is replacing one of the scanning arrays with an ECM burst and one of the inertial stabs with a warp core stab a viable counter? The stab takes care of the disruptor if they stay far way, and if they’re close enough to use scams than the ecm burst should break the lock and allow me to re-cloak.