Missiles or Rockets?

I have been playing the game for a month now and have imo been successful exploring wormholes. Only have 2.5 mil SP (didn’t get the bonus 1mil to start, DOH!) most of which have been dedicated to exploration skills. Realized a few days ago I could not hit the broad side of a barn from 10yards out with any weapons, so I have dedicated the past few days to training up the various missile skills. So why am I posting this here?

Want to take a break this weekend from exploration to see if I can get a kill or two in my Heron. If I have discovered one thing… nobody is scared of a Heron! Having a second Heron in a WH come up to the can I am scanning down and on my failure, gets in on the second try made me realize two things. I was not scared of him, and he sure as hell was not scared of me. If an Astero shows up… high tail it up of there, but nobody is scared of a Heron! ( I would have shot the guy, but had no guns!)

Basic plan is to scan the sight down, go refit, and sit and wait. Skills wise, light missile and rockets will both be up to 4, so T1 fit. This isn’t null sec, so I don’t expect much resistance. Ideally, would love to nail an exploration fit Astero!

Having no PVP experience, would you fit with light missiles, warp scram and keep them at 15+km or rockets which do more damage but need to get in around 7500km with scram and web?

Any advice would be appreciated! Thank in advance.

3 Likes

I would fit rockets, a scram, and a propulsion module. Fly straight at them and fire.

2 Likes

I think I would use something like this, assuming you’ll do ‘exploration’ in a different ship:

[Heron, PvP ? ]

Micro Auxiliary Power Core I
Ballistic Control System II

5MN Quad LiF Restrained Microwarpdrive
Medium Ancillary Shield Booster, Navy Cap Booster 50
Stasis Webifier II
Warp Scrambler II
Warp Scrambler II

Rocket Launcher II, Caldari Navy Scourge Rocket
Core Probe Launcher II, Sisters Core Scanner Probe
Rocket Launcher II, Caldari Navy Scourge Rocket

Small Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer II
Small Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer II
Small Anti-Thermal Screen Reinforcer II

and as suggested above, burn straight into them, scram/web (heated scram has a 10km engagement range, which is approximately the same range as the faction rockets with lvl 5 skills) and start firing.

The 2x scrams is incase someone has warp core stabs fit, it should ensure you’re able to finish off any of the T1 exploration frigs… of course all the other races T1 exploration frigs can use drones, so be wary of this, oh and the magnate has 4 low slots so could possibly still get away… if you find this becomes an issue drop the web for a 3rd scram :slight_smile:

Regards,
Cypr3ss.

3 Likes

Thanks for the fit! Can’t do the Tech II launchers yet, so will have to stick with T1. Only change I may make is a 3rd rocket launcher. I do plan to scan the system down so won’t need the probes. Basically, scan the system down, warp out, refit the ship for pvp and hang out at a safe spot until somebody shows up. Many people seeing a Heron on DScan wont be spooked. Warp to the pre scanned Data/Relic sight and start blasting. I think I will be ok as long as I don’t run in to an Astero with T2 Drones, and if I do… I will go out in a blaze of glory!

This plan may involve a lot more waiting than you realize.

2 Likes

I think you’ll find 2 launchers is the most a Heron can fit… you could add a gun in the third slot, like a 200mm autocannon, if you’re not going to use the probes.

Regards,
Cypr3ss.

OP, you are being trolled so hard right now. Excluding bait fits, if you PVP with a Heron, you’re going to have a bad time.

I fear your reading & comprehension skills are lacking, as if you’d read and understood the OP it would be clear the intent is to target other T1 exploration frigs, which a suitably fit Heron (or other T1 exploration frig) will be able to engage without issue.

Regards,
Cypr3ss.

4 Likes

I was already aware that the intended use case would be unarmed/poorly armed exploration frigs. There are, however, several other considerations at play not being factored in.

If you have more advice I would love to here it. Just figured Id take a break from exploration and see if I can hit a few guys this weekend (in highsec wormholes) as a change. Guessing the fit will be 5 mil at most, even if it is 10+… the 1.3 bil I have accumulated makes the losses negligible.
Reason for using the Heron still, is nobody runs from a Heron as they usually are not a threat. If nothing else, it will be a learning experience as I have done no PvP yet.
Original question was if I should use rockets close, or missiles from a distance. Consensus seems to be rockets. Biggest obstacle will be an Astero, and thinking if I catch one explorer fit, I might get lucky (Unless he has T2s).
Thanks for the feedback. Any other advice would be appreciated.

1 Like

Just add the rockets to your explorer fit. That way you can take kills of opportunity while you are doing your normal exploration activity. One scram and an afterburner in the midslots is all it will take.

1 Like

To answer your question, rockets, because rockets deal more damage. Most explorers try to use longer range guns because they are afraid of kiting, meaning shorter range rockets would work better. You will also need to get in range to scram them, in case they have a stab.

You will have no advantage in a PVP fight with a Heron. The best thing that can happen to you is that he is too busy hacking cans to notice you. If you are not omega and can’t cloak, this will be very very difficult.

They lack a high: scanner and 2 mids: hack, relic. You lack 2 mids: scram, web or second scram. They have the high and low slots you have as well, they can shoot you back as well as you can.

An exploring frigate might be fitted for either instawarp, damage, or tank. You will not be able to scram the instawarp one because most cans are far from the warpin beacon. You will suffer against both damage and tank oriented frigates because they may have more damage, tank, and experience than you do.

You have no advantage.

If you think they will not be afraid of you because you are in a heron, wrong. They probably don’t even recognize the heron. If they are experienced they will run at the sight of a venture, if they are not they will run because they think the heron is a battleship.

Your two choices are: a combat oriented frigate, which people will run away from, but you will gain an advantage combatting them if you manage to catch them, and a cloaky whatever you have. It is going to have a huge advantage if you can have a covops cloak and hunt people. If you have a covops cloak, you can get in an expedition frigate (yes, because they are cheaper than an asteros, t3 cruiser, or covops), and you might gain precious seconds when your victim is in shock, closes the hacking window, and either locks you or tries to run away. That will be vital.

Also, I have to agree. It will be very boring, you will die a lot to t3 cruisers and asteros, and you would have a very hard time finding a heron, or any other kind of t1 exploration frigate.

You would hav better luck finding pvp in Lowsec. Or you can also go to wormholes but try to kill miners not explorers (since they are easier to kill).

But if you still want that fit, here you go (might not be good though, just my cent or two):

Heron PVP

[Heron, heron wh pvp]

5MN Y-T8 Compact Microwarpdrive
Initiated Compact Warp Scrambler
Fleeting Compact Stasis Webifier
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Small F-S9 Regolith Compact Shield Extender

‘Arbalest’ Rocket Launcher I, Dread Guristas Nova Rocket
‘Arbalest’ Rocket Launcher I, Dread Guristas Nova Rocket
Core Probe Launcher I, Core Scanner Probe I

Small Core Defense Field Extender II

ReGaRdS
CyPrE55

1 Like

It’s interesting you say this yet fail to elaborate?

Lol, no, because they suffer the same delay to targeting as the astero, T3 cruiser or covops. If you’re omega and can use a covops cloak you’d be best off fitting a stealth bomber for this purpose.

Suffice to say, I wouldn’t put much stock in the above posters response as they don’t seem to know what they’re talking about, and can’t even spell their name correctly!

So sad.

It is amusing you’re still butthurt cause i said your idea was bad, but way to hold onto that anger! lol

I would avoid engagements with an Astero, at least until you’ve gotten in some practice and have some hope of locking up his drones and killing them before they kill you. As you start out aim for other T1 exploration frigs, as most (when fit for exploration) will be at a disadvantage vs one fit for PvP. But don’t let the nay sayers here stop you from trying something new/different, just cause they’re too scared. Fly dangerous! :slight_smile:

Regards,
Cypr3ss.

OP

1. let me congratulate you, because you are not here for 1) whining and complaining about the game and CCP and 2) you focus on doing something else than earning isks/becoming rich, and you accept to " go out in a blaze of glory!". I like it.
  2. fitting an explo ship for fight is, of course, unusual, because you lack the bonuses for fight. In eve, usually, ships are used for what they are designed to. But sometimes you see things like “battle nereus”, “entosis nereus”, “battle rorqual”, “battle procurer”, “explo interceptor” etc
    I saw some videos of an experimented pvper who used combat magnates and won some 1v1 fights. So why not?
    Try, do mistakes, learn, improve, etc…
  3. be aware that you can use a mobile depot to refit without warping out
  4. "would you fit with light missiles, warp scram and keep them at 15+km or rockets "? => to keep someone scram, you need to be at scram range, usually less than 10 km, you cannot scram and kite with your heron

good luck and report here the kills you got!

It’s 6 seconds. Good enough. Also means they won’t be able to dscan you. A fast align ship might get off in 3 seconds but it’s very unlikely that they will warp immediately.

Yeah, stealth bombers are cool, but they usually fail to oneshot frigates, and while most people don’t fight back, once anything touches that bomber, it’s dead. It also has to be outside of its own bomb range. Bombs are more for fleets with can alpha off stuff and have long range points.

Cmon… It’s meant to be a joke. I know you from that weird regards thing that makes you look like a troll as well as a pro… Now I know that it’s the former.

1 Like

Your heron can launch drones. Train light drones to 5 and drop some hobgoblin II on them

I did not fail to elaborate. I declined to. :slight_smile:

Micro Auxiliary Power Core I
Damage Control II

Medium Ancillary Shield Booster
1MN Y-S8 Compact Afterburner
Small F-S9 Regolith Compact Shield Extender
X5 Enduring Stasis Webifier
Initiated Compact Warp Scrambler

Rocket Launcher II
Rocket Launcher II
Core Probe Launcher I

Small Bay Loading Accelerator I
Small Warhead Rigor Catalyst I
Small Core Defense Field Extender I

Hobgoblin I x7

Cap Booster 50
Core Scanner Probe I
Mjolnir Javelin Rocket

This is this fit I put together for this weekends fun. I did end up getting a large skill injector ( I feel poor now!) to get up to Rockets & Missile Launcher V and allow me to use the better launcher and ammo, otherwise it felt like I was going to be shooting spit balls! (Still kinda does). This is bought already, but if anyone has a suggestion for changes, all opinions (that are shared) are appreciated.

Thanks again everyone!

You ought to pack something other than just EM rockets. Some ships have pretty good resists against EM.

Are you able to overheat things yet? Thermodynamics is the skill, and being able to heat the rep and/or guns might save you and/or get you a kill.

Also I’m not sure I’d bother with a small shield extender, maybe a sensor booster (for faster lock times) if fitting is tight and you’re severely lacking EM/Therm resists (which help make the anc shield booster more effective). I realise without the shield extender you’re low on EHP… but you’re low on EHP even with it.

You’ve missed the point entirely, guess you’re not as clever as you think. No where did I say it would oneshot frigates, and no where did I mention using bombs. The major benefit of the stealth bomber for what the OP wants to do is the 0 delay in locking after decloak, after that, you’d fit it with rockets/tank and use it the same way you would with an exploration frig hunting other exploration frigs.

Cmon… It’s meant to be a joke. You must just be a troll :expressionless:

Regards,
Cypr3ss.

2 Likes