How to make ratting space less safe?

I know, but you’re changing the existing dynamic for a new one, and you know folks are going to scream, even if others already have to deal with it.

I know, but every change lately comes with screaming, the changes that sparked the creation of the thread caused screaming despite some or most of them being positive.

Exactly. That’s one of the hard parts - figuring out which screaming is legitimate concern and which is just screaming for the sake of screaming.

I get the feeling, though, that if we changed all ratting to require you haul something to a station to sell, it would likely cause the first kind of screaming.

I see that kind of screaming as screaming just for the sake of screaming.
A change that creates more interaction or even potential interaction is a benefit for the overall health of the game.
Keeping ships on site a bit longer, having the have to haul to an NPC station, having them get back all add chances for interaction with other players.

Sure, because a straight nerf but keeping bounties would not imply the intended effects of tags as a replacement of bounties. There are multiple reasons why tags are better for the game than bounties:

1. Having to collect the tags, creates additional risk for the ratter, losing the tags to thieves or getting killed while collecting
  2. Creates a new conflict driver
  3. It’s more difficult to bot
  4. Induces a new economy niche for traders and transporters

I would go with a staged approach, the higher the value of the anomaly, the less bounty shall be paid but replaced by tags. So beginners are not penalized that much, but hard core farmers are.

4 Likes

Hello,

Tags wouldn’t be a new mechanic, they’re already a part of EVE. Have you ever heard of an ESS?

For those who don’t know, at some point CCP became concerned about ISK generation velocity and created the ESS mechanic. ESS mechanic resulted in all 0.0 bounties being universally reduced by 5%. The 5% could be recovered with use of an ESS which would generate tags in place of a raw ISK payment. If managed well, the ESS results in a net increase of 5%, plus loyalty points.

If CCP were to take the existing ESS mechanic and move the portion around, say 90/10 instead of 95/5 it would keep the total possible value equal to present values, yet reduce the raw ISK velocity and increase the chance of tags falling into existing ISK sinks, like market trading, loss via PvP and theft from the ESS itself. This approach would also have the benefit of using a mechanic the exists already, rather than coding and developing anything new.

Just add acceleration gates to ratting sites this should’ve been done same time with fozziesov and we wouldn’t have any problems with anomaly isk income.As for rorquals reduce excavator velocity and optimal range.
I also think cyno inhibitors should be made stronger make them invulnerable with a large dmg cap which makes the effect wear off when acheived

Unfortunately ESS are a complete failure as conflict drivers, and the risk of transporting tags is only with thieves. The regular usage pays out in cash.

But you are right, all mechanics are there, it’s just a matter of will to do something against the interest of the CSM.

Hi,

You’re quite right there. On the original topic of this thread, the areas of space that are ‘too safe’ likely already use an ESS with impunity and those areas that are not safe have the good sense not to deploy them.

One active industrial core per anomaly?

Would like to address Rorquals. Nerfing the yield and drones will just result in more Rorquals being multiboxed/botted.

To address this, “just” make Rorqual and Orca mining active like using fighters with Carriers. You even may increase the yield in compensation. But multiboxing and botting is countered, maybe with some more tweaks to exhumers.

All this is pretty much on the table for years now, but …

1 Like

As if bots don’t fly supers already

They fly supers because supers don’t use fighters.

Lol what?

This is gud

Was referring to Dreads and Titans. Carriers use fighters.

Dreads aren’t supers and very few ppl rat in titans

Right, though if fighters can be botted easily than they are not an anti-bot solution of course. I have no issue with people flying those ships for solo ratting.

ESS’s do both - tags only come into play if you’re stealing the ESS contents. Otherwise it’s shared out whenever someone shares it, and it’s straight isk.

Would it be possible to delay local? As in players with a gate cloak don’t appear in local until said cloak disappears.

First off, I’m not sure where you’re getting that number, unless you’re discounting the time to haul it back to k-space and sell it, but the question really becomes, is it being abused like anomalies in SOV null? If so, adjust the drops (because there are no bounties to worry about). If it’s not a major ISK supply, then don’t waste time on it.

My solution is far simpler:

1. Remove local (or make it delayed), this allows player intel channels to be effective, since it’s all about teamwork.

And if that doesn’t go far enough:

1. Remove Asset safety…
1 Like