HUD Feedback Thread!

Out of sheer and naive curiosity: The locked targets icons also use the stacked healthbars and the icons are much smaller. While proportional health bars might work in the double-sized HUD, they do not work in smaller icons.

Will the locked targets icons use proportional health bars or even just the new HP bar design? If they do not, you create YET ANOTHER UI inconsistency that cognitively overloads and confuses poor newbs.

2 Likes

You mean P2W store materials I think.

Or at least only possible to sell vs PLEX with PLEX tax.

This GUI shows they are still unwilling to learn and will do anythign to degrade the playerbase, the next “P2W Booster” attempt is not far away.

anybody knows the duct tape and goo be gone, are specific to minmatar ships.

Also from FC Junison
the idea is that players should be able to move and hide individual components. But that’s not coming in the first iteration

1 Like

I personally will vote for whoever doesn’t want the new HUD on the CSM

and i know, maybe instead duct tape will be a minmatar specific weapon that ramps up in effectiveness that will clog enemy weapons and decrease DPS, bbut has the side effect of healing their hull a little…

The locked targets icons would work perfect with my plan, where if they are shield tanked, the white bars for hull and armor would have less white ticks and more grey space between them. Similar to how the Capacitor works in a smaller ship vs a bigger ship, there are less capacitor tick lines to indicate that it has less quantity.

Clearly the new Hud is worthy of the Minmatar.

(man AI sucks at doing it correctly)

1 Like

Tell me, which one is better.

1 Like

I know the one on the left is your AI representation…but I do like one thing that it did.

The heat zone actually lit up. [That might be simple change…the current heat indicator…kind of gets lost in the rings in the old system.] But having it “light up” or be more interactive might be more beneficial.

But I think anything kept more standardized would be preferred.

1 Like

To make more sense of the new HUD ,need this to be connected to the ship fitting and simulation tool as well and update of it. so when you play around with fits can see the effects or variations on the HUD, and have uniform visual system

Alright, I’m going to state right from the git go, UI design is a point of autistic rage for me. I consider it a lost art. The UI the game had back when I joined in 2012 was kind of the gold standard I measure all UIs against. It presented tons of information in easy to read, organize and customize ways. I ■■■■■■■ loved it. I just came back after a few years and now have some… complaints… but that’s another topic dissertation.

Let’s look at and compare the current proposed changes.

I’ll start with the throttle meter. I actually don’t hate this. I always thought the tiny thing we had at the bottom of the bar was a little too small and could use something bigger and easier to use. I like that change. +1, good pick.

Now, I’m going to tear into your other medallion changes.

Sometimes, we changes things because things really need to be changed. Sometimes, we change things things because we like to change things or we want to make our mark or we have to justify our pay checks or we got really drunk and it sounded like a good idea and we made promises and now we’re stuck in a commitment that turned out to be a bad idea and we don’t know how to get out of it.

The changes to the health bar look like some trust fund kid wanted to make changes he thought would look cool but he grew up in a life of money and yes men and no one ever told him no. It looks border line cartoonish while having about as much personality as a corporate office type McDonalds where everything is white and grey, even the M. I’m not a fan. It also doesn’t always accurately reflect a ship’s real tank. There are going to be fits where the raw HP between hull, armor and shield might be similar, but the resistances might make one bar more of a brick than the others, so, having it based on that will be visually deceptive. There’s also issues with how the game’s EHP calculator has always been a little wonky. The only way a player is going actually know where their tank is is to know how their ship functions. A combination of in game tutorial, youtube videos, and having other players explain things is honestly going to help them more than this change ever will. I’m also going to state, real loudly, that the healthbars were never confusing to me at any point when I played the game.

The new capacitor… yeah, ok, not terrible. Functionally, the same thing, just a slightly different flavor to the look, I guess. No real notes there.

Over heating: Yeah, I agree, a better over heat button than the tiny sliver at the top of the module would be nice. It would definitely help new players to direct them more toward hot keys as well. Eve lives and dies by it’s hot keys, you might do better to tell people that, “Hey, there’s a hot key for that”

It would also help to explain how heat spreads and applies damage across modules in a rack. Teach players things like spacing out active and in active modules so that the inactive modules can absorb heat, instead of all the over heating modules heating each other and immediately slagging themselves. It would also be useful to have an indicator of individual module heat so players can gauge how much heat damage a module is going to acquire in the next cycle or two.

Next, module buttons. The blue button feature isn’t terrible visible, if I’m honest. It’s tiny. Having the white ring and occasional icon flash is good, but you gloss over the point of the original point of the white right in your video: module cycle indicator. Biggest issue with it is it tends to be mistimed after a few cycles, but that was still a great indicator that your module was running or reloading. Next, your heat damage indication is dim and very easy to miss, even with your video completely blown up across my monitor. People are not going to notice how much heat damage they have, specially with the red overload indicators on their modules. That needs a redesign, before people start accidentally slagging a whole rack. Spend more time asking how UI features interact and possible interfere with each other.

Overload interface: I don’t hate it, don’t love it. I’d need to ■■■■ around with it to have more opinions about it.

New inventory indicator: Meh? I guess? more useful for mining

The minimap: at no point have I thought this game would benefit from a minimap. Tactical overlay we already have is great, could use a bit of a graphical polish maybe just sharpen a few things up. Otherwise, the minimap adds no additional functionality while adding hud clutter. The only vaguely useful function there would be the metro map, that’s it and only if I can do things like select systems straight from it. If it’s just dots and lines I can’t directly interact with, then it goes back in the trash pile. Everything else, if I can completely disable this feature, I will. The grid map looks like it’s telling me less than I would get just by zooming out, and there’s no features in the solar map that I would need if I wasn’t already doing things in the solar map anyway. Please, do not make me have to have this on my hud, real estate is a premium.

Consumable buttons: Yeah, alright, this is a good one. My first big ask, though: don’t rebind our hot keys automatically. You’ll ■■■■ up so much ■■■■ for so many people. But, also, the person who gave us “Booster chutes” where we can throw batches of boosters in so we can inject all of the drugs into our eyeballs at once? Yall thought about this one, yall can have a cookie, good job. Our drug exploded eyeballs will thank you.

The biggest thing I want to call out though: You keep mentioning players, specially new players, do not know a thing. This indicates a failure to have an effective tutorial. I know Eve has the longest tutorial I’ve ever seen, including career agents. That said, with basic features like overheat, it really wouldn’t be a huge deal to include that in the tutorial. The NPE (new player experience) was something that was hemmed and hawed about years ago because, frankly, Eve’s NPE was one of the worst in the gaming world. The joke about CCP going “Here’s a ship, go ■■■■ yourself, welcome to Eve” was only sort of a joke. They did make a lot of improvement on it, but Eve being Eve, this game will always have room to improve on that and we’re probably going to have to accept that this game is always going to be more complicated than what some people will want to deal with. I’d say that the most useful things the game can probably finish off the tutorial with would be shoving players into help chat and recruitment chat. Nothing will help new players more than connecting them with other, more veteran players.

Otherwise, those are my thoughts on the current round of changes. I could give more on the current state of the UI, but that’s another foam at the mouth rant

4 Likes

If ‘Bad Ass’ had a name, it would be ‘Drosera Binata’. You’re a Bad Ass Drosera Binata. A total Bad Ass.

Please tell me if you have any more ‘feedback’ about me, because this isn’t the right forum for that. and thank you for the ‘compliment’, I am always a combative person who enjoys killing my enemies. You just signed your death warrant, hope you have a lot of implants.

Maybe he was referring to your physical attributes, criticizing your lack of muscles and too much fat at certain parts, in other words calling you out of shape. Maybe he suggests some visit to the gym is in order to get you into shape again. :eyes:

:thinking: :face_with_hand_over_mouth: :ccpguard:

2 Likes

like your any better?

I take that as admission you have no argument thus accepting the stated facts. :wink:

I leave the Lord Helmet suit for your type, it fits you. :blush:

1 Like

I also look good without this suit, don’t you remember what it looked like?

I don’t even know who you are, I’m just talking to you to see what you reply out of curiosity. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Understandable.

Lets just say i am a guy who makes almost a billion isk every month or two in highsec near jita by chance but spends it too fast and have never reached 1b because of that.

But I do like to talk with someone else who plays eve about things that could be neat for the game, my favorite ideas I put into the forums.