HUD Feedback Thread!

Ok, make an alt that has almost no muscle and is at the maximum fat/weight setting and name it couch potato

Too lazy to make a new alt, have enough of them. But btw I was not the one who was talking about your body parts, was just providing a potential interpretation of his words, so probably should take it up with him if anything. :thinking:

Yeah, i know, i don’t really like doing alts but they are useful for certain thing, especially if it is for one thing and you are planning on selling it later.

i just use them to feel good about skill training while alpha.

Ok, back on topic to complaining about the HUD! Yay, this won’t get us anywhere.:clap:

post deleted by the author

Terrific Feedback, couldn’t agree more.

Late to the party. I’ll do my best to be brief since I’m not the most experienced player and I’ve only been back about 72 hours. Going down the list…

Speed: I like this change. It brings throttle to parity with other space sim and adventure games like Elite or Starfield, being easier to find and read.

Health: The proportional bars would be significantly less intuitive and make active tanking/logi harder to understand in the moment of combat. The current arrangement of three stacked bars at the top of the medallion is simple and doesn’t require a lot of figuring. @Geo_Eclipse_Oksaras pointed to a few very good variations of the three stacked/arranged bars that would be more intuitive than a proportional health indicator.

Capacitor: I think the proposed design is a downgrade especially in terms of accessibility for players with visual impairments. The current capacitor gauge is very easy to read and the only improvement might be a delta indicator of some kind, which you seem to be working on.

Rack Heat: First, there’s no need to confuse things by using :high_voltage:to show overload status (since it’s already associated with some modules) when :hot_springs: is a much better starting point. One could argue that both symbols are associated with damage types, so maybe a third option would be preferrable. Second, I’m not sure having the rack buttons integrated into the medallion is necessarily superior, although it might make introducing the concept of overheat to rookies an easier one.

Safety: This looks like an improvement in terms of readibility, but aesthetically I’m hoping for a bit more polish.

Modules: These changes generally look good to me, though at first glance it appears to be a less compact layout than I’d prefer. Keeping the existing shortcuts while clearing up the discoverability is a good choice.

On-grid Map: I don’t fly in fleets/gangs enough to know whether or not this is helpful.

Metro Map: As someone who usually travels through lowsec with the map open, this might mean a cleaner display. I will take this opportunity to complain again about how badly the 2D map controls in terms of panning and zooming. If the metro map means I don’t have to struggle with the 2D map window, so be it.

System Map: This will aid with bookmarking/tacticals, since I won’t have to switch to the old map and zoom in, or lose a portion of my screen to the F11 map. This is helpful.

Booster Bay: This might be an unpopular opinion, but I love this idea. Having hotkeyed boosters ready and indicated means (hopefully) never forgetting to CONSUME. The only problem is I sometimes take up to six boosters at once, and I’m not sure the hot bar will accommodate that many.

Customization: Yes, please provide as much of this as possible. Good ideas.

Thank you for your kind attention.

1 Like

Its its own part of the cargo bay and will be one button on the hud allowing you to consume all at once

my god i wish that was back, did a few missions the other day… now i have to click on agency.. uhm.. scroll down… theres a bunch of crap in the way… i dont understand why they got rid of it; it makes no logical sense to swap something that tells you what you need to know for, well, whatever the agency tab is supposed to be…

I think it’s telling how, in today’s dev post about the new HUD, all the feedback they posted was from ■■■■■■■ Reddit.

2 Likes

most of what they were listening to is from discord as well

1 Like

The current one is better. The new one gives you less of a view.

2 Likes

again, I hate the new Hud! JUST LEAVE THE OLD ONE ALONE OR MAKE IT AN OPTIONAL SETTING!!!

2 Likes

oh, i have an idea, if you are going to scrap the current hud, don’t, just make it a ‘plex purchasable item’ instead. sarcasm dripping everywhere

Looking forward to the UI changes touched on in blog post 3, particularly the pathing stuff, the HUD layouts per activity, and maybe also the clickable icons in space, though I’m not 100% on those yet. I’ll need to see it in action.

I’m a bit concerned about performance. Won’t having so many new things being drawn on screen require a lot of optimization to avoid interface lag? I really hope you guys will keep on top of that, or it’ll turn out like the whole captain’s quarters thing did, yeah? Prefer not to have a DOA thing again.

Finally, there was way too little on the drone integration. I am for having drones be part of the the HUD, but you’ll need to avoid making them feel like we’re just using another module. Something some modern arcadey games fail at is to make drones feel like, well, drones. If there’s no difference between me activating a turret or launcher on a target, and directing the dornes, then we’ve got a problem. That fantasy is actually important and THAT starts with uniqueness at my fingertips, not just under the hood.
My suggestion would be to combine that with the icons-in-space thing and give me ways to control my drones directly from space. Connect me viscerally to the objects taht they are in space.

1 Like

I knew I had seen these dials before elsewhere.

The power gages in Forbidden Planet. Not very original. I felt like I had seen it on some old 1940s sci-fi as well, but all I found was this ship console from Flash Gordon. I doubt the developers are robbing old serials for ideas.

I still say the old medallion is much better.

Have fun!

4 Likes

I was about to say, anyway; hate the new HUD; keep old one.. maybe check your own forums FC?

1 Like

Why check the forums? Discord and Reddit are the only places they really pay attention to these days. So I’m going to repeat what I put on Discord here, because why not:

Or they could just redesign the tutorial to explain how to use the current HUD better? The screenshot shows how much you can do already with the current system.

Players don’t get they can adjust the ship speed more finely? Give them a bit where their ship has to go at a certain speed so that they can learn how to do it better.

Want to change when your ship alarms timing because you are in a shield tanked ship? Make a tutorial on how to customise it.

Its not rocket science and it will save them so much more time than messing about with redesigning something that works pretty well already.

This is one of the best suggestions I’ve seen.

4 Likes

they are reading all 3 areas..