So… I want to make a home for people who want to Role-Play in EVE. Right now when anyone wants to branch into EVE RP we send them to the Summit or IGS. These are the absolute worst experiences for new, curious, or inexperienced EVE role-players. Most of both entities are lurkers. The few that do tend to speak are generally hostile, vicious, demanding, bigoted, crazy, or only offer insincere platitudes. Please don’t misunderstand me; I recognize that every person I am thinking of as I write these things down has a 9000% perfectly legitimate in character reason for being that way, but even so this is a terrible experience for people wanting to join us. I have gone out of my way to steward good role-play, collaboration, support, and education wherever I can, but I cannot do it alone.
I already tried this. I hijacked the idea of Divinity Social and tried to make it a neutral, friendly, and inviting alternative for ALL role-players, especially new ones. I made mistakes and took my licks. I want to get serious about my next attempt.
Here is the pitch: I want to make a place for the RP community to replace the summit as the entry point into EVE RP for new players. Let summit and IGS be what they are now and stay that way, but we need a place less hostile and intimidating for new role-players/characters.
What I think I need:
- Help. I cannot do it alone.
- Buy-in on a social contract: People there are there to tell their story, but anyone choosing to participate is implicitly stating that they can look past political, religious, or racial matters and socialize equally well with anyone and not break their character integrity.
- Carry the torch: Recognize that our community is dwindling and needs new blood. Dedicate some effort to fostering that goal.
- At least one public room where people come to socialize IC and not to lurk. Espouse a dedication that you are there to actively RP with other people in the room. Lurking should be discouraged.
- I want to connect with EVE U and have them shunt those graduates interested in RP our way, where we can supplement their gameplay by offering them a place to develop their characters in a place they are likely to make friends and get help, not be berated, judged, or shamed off the platform.
- I want to solicit help in managing the project in both EU and US TZ if not around the clock.
- Active recruitment to Role-Play. Many I’ve spoken to have approached me saying they find EVE RP too intimidating. For the health of our community I feel we have a duty to correct this.
I submit this out to the community for your judgement, but this has been my goal since I created this character, and I intend to see it through. As I play more, stay longer, and meet others, I am convinced that the need for a positive productive shake-up is very necessary and long overdue.
Sincerely and openly,
~Yvane Aselin-Duvaul / The player and the character