[IDEA] Name Change Certificate

This game really needs an ability to change character names. Every other game has it and it’s not a problem.

1 Like

You mean all those theme-park PvE games right?
Start to consider why EVE might be different.

Even if EVE is different than traditional theme park MMOs, what’s your point?

That a name & the attached reputation has more meaning in EVE than in many other games.
Heck, I’d go so far as to ban character sales now that we have skill injectors. CCP has already acknowledged that character sales mess with reputation by making any account transfer show up even if it’s between your own accounts. And that’s a lot easier to follow than ‘Who is this guy in local with me’ and then having to look them up fast before making an engage/don’t engage decision.

No one gives a crap about your reputation and it’s in no way more meaningful than in any other game.
Looking someone up would work exactly like before since all the marks and flags would still apply. You’d have the same ID like before, just that it would show your char with a different name then (and maybe even the name you had before the change).

1 Like
  • Just because you don’t care, doesn’t mean no one cares.

• Just because you’re not aware that there are plenty of people who do care, as evidenced by threads calling out thiefs in C&P and also as evidenced by all those people who demand API keys to check on people, doesn’t mean no one cares.

Reputation is, in fact, extremely important in this game. That’s why people know Chribba, Erotica1 and Mike Azariah who I’m probably spelling wrong. That’s why people vote others into the CSM, too. It’s because of what they’re doing and the reputation they’ve accumulated.

That being said, I’m absolutely against the idea of name changes.

And what would a name change modify about that fact you are correctly exposing ?

When Bjorn Bee (Twitch streamer) go out with Romantic Something, does it make him Bjorn or Romantic name wise ?

When iworstplayerever (Eve Online youtuber) go out for hunt, and uses multiple different accounts, what would be the name you’d use to refer to him ? Which one would you chose ? Lucy Loo ? Why ? He’s barely playing with this toon anymore.

How is using another character when you’re so ‘famous’ in Eve Online, and still be recognisable by most, so different than changing the name of a character ?

I was merely commenting on him claiming that reputation in EVE isn’t more meaningful than in other games. It is. That doesn’t have any influence on me not liking the idea.

One of the reasons why I don’t like it, is because an ID based system simply isn’t enough. It’s not enough to have people have a history. Assuming that everyone would constantly check if someone has changed his name is silly. Names are tools for identification and recognition for a reason.

This idea breeds paranoia. A blanket paranoia applied to everyone, because no one will constantly check all those people they’re talking to. It’s too much effort. No, the vast majority of people aren’t anti-social.

This thread is ages old. The idea itself is even older. They’re not going to do this, unless they make it super expensive.

1 Like

And yet, Hillmar himself talked about it not long ago. :wink:
And yet, plenty of so called taboo, have been crossed multiple times over the previous 5 years.
And yet, if you really want to change name, you can, by purchasing tons of PLEX and Injectors.

So, if any paranoïa is implied, it should be with or without a Name Change Certificate. :wink:
That is, if you really want to know where that particular character comes from, adding a new line among tons of already existing lines won’t really matter at all, and even more so with API system automaticly doing this for you with third party tools.

We’ll see. :slight_smile:

ya, no. just because someone is famous by name or people call out thiefs doesn’t mean reputation is in any way important. certainly not for the other 99,99% of the player base that no one knows by name and in fact no one gives a crap about. People like Chribba or The Mittan exist in pretty much any MMO.
changing their names would hardly undermine their “celebrity” status, especially since you would still be able to find them by looking them up with their old name.

I didn’t claim anything. I’m stating it’s not. you’re claiming it is. big difference. and it’s not. looking up a corp thieves hardly makes reputation overall meaningful.

why is that? and what would be enough then?

and why would people need to constantly check other peoples names? most players don’t even know the other 99% of the player base. so it’s completely irrelevant if someone has changed his/her name in the past when you never knew that person to begin with.

I, like many other people, would like the option to change our names and we are willing to pay for said option. so who are you to say that’s silly?

no, for the most part they are not. that’s the whole point. I have never seen you before and I probably won’t see you again, but if I do I will most likely not remember you. this goes both ways.
so unless you’re somehow rising to EVE fame your name, just as mine, is utterly meaningless. people who know you would still recognize you as zOra Berg and the people who don’t… believe me, they don’t give a crap.

Sure. Okay. vOv

Maybe not to you, but to other players, people who stick to a specific area, they start to recognize the other players in that area, they see them come and go, they learn what they do and what playstyles they employ… all by their name.

Searching APIs or opening windows and navigating to ‘AKA’ tabs is too slow when someone is heading towards you with unknown intentions.

This argument will always make me laugh. :smiley:

Glad I brightened your day.

1 Like

and what would prevent you from doing so in the future? you act like all players would change their names like every other day - which obviously won’t be the case.
having to look up a character again because you are unfamiliar with that name is hardly a great point against name changes.

if looking up someones name is the first thing that comes to your mind when said someone is heading your direction in a hostile environment then you’ve got bigger problems than people changing their character names.

then again, character transfers are still a things, so…

I dont know any of theese names. And im guessing these “brand” names would NOT change names?
or maybe they would… who knows? It should be up to them.
Point is, let people change names atleast until they can make a name for themself?
What is my “reputation” in eve… its quite neutral at this point and it will forever be im guessing - like the majority of eve players names.

So if YOU are in a system and a unknown neut show up, you check up on the neut… right?
Nothing changes. you get the information you need… it just takes a couple of seconds more… you hafto redo the steps you do, as you cannot operate from your own memory.
its not like you check up on that neut whilst you in warp to that player, so really nothing changes.

The only “problem” to re-name is the fact that a player changing name would lock the old name for xx years. (to prevent players from spoofing other “known” players, that recentley had changed names)

ps. regarding “old name lookup” like…
omg, its a sandobx, everything is possible to do, ccp could even apply a filter option, eg.
“list old and new names in overview”
“change overview colors of newley changed chars”
" show old name on doubleclick window"
set time xxx to considerd as “new” → so they will after x amount of time be regarded as a “regular”
overview name

No.
Changing names is not an option. You wanna change names, make a new character, extract all the skills you can out of your old one, and inject in the new on… minus 5 mil in SP.

If at anypoint you were a rookie, you no doubt have heard or seen Mike’s name. He runs the magic School Bus.

This is an option for people who have alot of isk or alot of RL $ , to spend on pixels.
if i where to buy extractors i would spend over 1000 RL US dollars

im still a EVE rookie … In game names means nothing to me… a neut is a neut.
And my name means nothing too you guys, so i dont see a point off not letting me change names.

1 Like

How about we make changing corporations not an option? Heck, why not make changing ship fits not an option?

You don’t even have an argument as to why you think changing names would be a bad idea. You simply don’t like it and now you’re “arguing” because feelings…

It’s only been stated and restated repeatedly in this thread.
Also nice false equivalences there, such a pity they don’t matter.

2 Likes