Very interesting change. As long as the new 1.0 area has rewards that are worthless outside of new player experience, I am all for it for allowing new players to get their bearings.
i don’t see an issue with it, basically the new starter system, learning the ropes, gaining some skills/isk so when they leave they are on level ground… letting them leave with zero isk in wallet is just stupid and a way for them to quit.
cough so we contract our stuff to a throwaway rookie alt in a T1 hauler for that part cough
and they will be watching that too.
per fozzie
Yeah if that ends up becoming a thing (people recycling alphas with T1 haulers to bring goods through here) then we’ll need to add some more restrictions and/or rules, but we’ll cross that bridge if it comes up
According to the Lore blog, its a two way connection..
A proper noob zone with no “you consented when you undocked” ■■■■■■■■ is a step in the right direction. It is unreasonable to expect new players to start out in a complex game while also being tear-farmed by alts of people with safe&secure null income.
In earnest, I wish it were all of high sec. Make it a zone for civilized conflicts only, i.e. market pvp and fraud, so the 95% of potential players who have minimal interest in high-stakes rock/paper/scissors games can opt out and have fun after their fashion, playing space opera rather than space asshole.
I’ll go and have a tour to see if it’s got a new sky box and have a look at how they’ve made everything and if they do any new designs of stations and such, but broadly speaking, I’m rarely going to interact with this constellation or it’s inhabitants.
I’m interested to see how the second order effects will play out.
In earnest, I’m glad that CCP makes a stance saying that complete safety is only suitable for a newbie zone and that high sec is not a newb zone and not meant to be complete safety.
I hope the complaints of a ‘why is high security not safe’ now cease now that those players have a newbie zone to retreat to if they’re afraid of other players.
Some feedback on changing the security status of existing systems:
Why? The Exordium could just have an effect applied, just like the one we got in Gallente space during elections. A nice little icon explaining in detail the rules and effects in Exordium. Leave Exordium, and the effects are gone. You can still have 1.0 systems in existing space, just without the effects applied. Effects icon is clear enough way to communicate with players, it’s already implemented, current systems don’t need to change and effects in Exordium will be applied. It just seems as being a lot less work for pretty much the same result, without side effects.
‘Applying effects’ is not the same as segregating the newbies from the real game.
With ‘applied effects’ one could trade a newbie character in the real game and let them safely haul 50 billion ISK across HS in a PvP-immune ship.
I think the Exordium region is a much better and clearer mechanism to keep newbie-space safe. And hopefully less abusable too.
0.9 and 1.0 atm are effectively the same thing, main difference is the pilot’s sec status without getting shot at. Once the expansion hits, 1.0 will be different. Doing a weather effect isn’t really needed imo.
You got my comment completely wrong… somehow. ![]()
I was just talking about technical implementation of Exordium region and how its effects are presented to players. I wasn’t talking about effects being applied to individual characters. That didn’t even cross my mind.
Edit: Ok… maybe Gallente elections event was a bad example, because it applied to Gallente ships. I was talking about system/region wide effects… like storms, incursion effects,…
Ah I’m glad you meant it different.
Still I think it’s nice that CCP ties the absolute safety of Exordium to the existing security rating and redefines 1.0 to be perfect safety.
It makes it clear to anyone that 0.5 - 0.9 is not perfect safety and in fact dangerous.
Yeah… that makes sense as well. I’m playing this game for so long that I take lack of safety for granted. It just might be worth additional development and testing effort to make it more clear.
If they are going to reduce all the 1.0 to 0.9, then to keep balance they should reduce all the other systems by 0.1 as well.
Over all sounds like a realy good idea, it directly might not be of much use to oldbloods (majority of eve audience) but its a long term investment
The symmetry of the stars is a bit…. unnatural but whatever. Lorewise is it a constructed region?
Sounds like ‘normal’ players can enter too which will help keep it stocked with items and people wanting to socialize and or recruit.
Yea but again low yeild/worthless space, normal space has concord.
Guess if you wanted to mind vedspar in absolute security beyond current 1.0 security then by all means.
Good question!
I agree that a symmetrical region seems a bit unnatural, but it appears that’s only the flattened simplified map:
In the 3D map the star locations aren’t symmetrical at all.
The only symmetrical part is that each sector has an equal number of systems and that the star gates connecting the systems are chosen such that it creates symmetric connections for each of the sectors in this ‘low resource training region’. I’m sure there are more unconnected stars in between that didn’t get connected yet simply because they have even less valuable resources.
They said it wasn’t humans that made it, just the gates
I mean, the gates are the main feature that define the symmetry of this new region.