Is it time for compressed minerals?

Not being able to compress minerals does not add depth to the game. Being able to compress minerals does.

You just lack the imagination and vision to understand it, and it makes me wonder what you are doing on features and ideas forums? You dont belong here

Pffft course i do.

Allright so let me hear one of your ideas, how can this game improve and keep players interested

They are not of your interest cause they do not benefit you and do not reduce the risk in any way. So we are not going to share with you any idea.

Because you dont have any, all you do is sit and say no others ideas, its quite pathetic

Removing the 5/10% ores was my idea before yours.

And i proposed this;

https://forums-archive.eveonline.com/topic/452609/

Hard to understand why there are 5 and 10% variants of ores, it really only clutters everything. So simplifying things by removing them seems like a good idea imo. But its a small thing in the grand scheme of things. Players need content to stay interested. Compressing minerals is a step in that direction because it opens up a new element of play for people who dont have a freighter yet. But its also a small thing in the grand scheme of things.

However it could be tied into the new upwell refineries. Maybe you should only be able to do it on those. Maybe there should be skills making you able to reduce waste when uncompressing them. You know, its content. Gives players something extra to move toward to and i dont think a single person would be upset over the mechanic. The people who dont like the idea are just against it for poorly defined reasons. Fact of the matter is it will be a hit in the sense people will actually use it.

The problem is that is a step back for what EvE is right now. Is a Step towards an EvE Online that wasnā€™t good.

We already had a Skill to increase the amount of reprocessing materials recover from Mods, this lead to use mods to move Minerals the same way you want them to be move, fast and without risk. And Iā€™m talking about compression in a ratio 1:1000.

Thatā€™s the problem.

I know people do not know how EvE was, like you. But others do, like me. And we do not want to go back to those times.

Even if EvE needs a little bit of simplicity, itā€™s needed in Mechanics, not in the depth of the game. Eliminating the Ore Variants will reduce depth, curiously enough you are the one wanting to add to itā€¦

Also, an Idea which adds content those not mean is a good Idea just because of that.

I donā€™t bother hauling refined minerals, I just purchase and haul select modules that are cheaper to buy than their mineral value, even with the reprocessing penalties I still come out ahead.

These select modules are readily available, often occupy less space than their component minerals and have always reprocessed for more value than their cost, not excessively so but enough to make them worthwhile buying, hauling and reprocessing. Some of us that have been here for a while know what they are and do the exact same thing with them that Iā€™m doing.

TL;DR Mineral compression is still possible, itā€™s just not as easy to do as it used to be.

2 Likes

I suppose we should start with why you want to compress minerals.

I had assumed it was to reduce the tedium of running a ship back and forth between 2 points a great many times for no good reason, resulting in a poor gameplay experience. Itā€™s why I donā€™t haul stuff except for friends on occasion.

It appears what you want to do is limit your exposure to danger in a passive manner. Thatā€™s not going to fly in EVE.

You say it adds depth. Please explain how? It allows you to carry more mineral in the same very secure ships to the same very secure locations, eliminating the risk imposed by multiple trips. That removes gameplay, it does not add it.

So what exaxtly is the purpose here? Where is the added depth?

The solid blocks allow you to move your huge amounts, and while you would have to use a less secure ship you would have the tactical options of when to move and how to defend itā€¦ in effect trading several low value, low risk trips for one higher value, higher risk trip. The block itself, even if the ship is destroyed offers yet more gameplay opportunity, as mining operations would have to be fielded by all interested parties to get the loot back out of space. Thatā€™s depth of gameplay. Choices with clear drawbacks that provide everyone with more options for intereaction, not less.

In a Kryos - a T1 Gallente Industrial - you can carry about $600M ISK worth of Tritanium.

Today. Right now. Without compressed minerals. Thereā€™s your risk.

In a previous post Iā€™ve explained what the playerbase would do if you could compress minerals.

If it doesnā€™t involve nerfing the game people are against it, if it involves buffing the game people are against it, it not that the ideal is bad or good, itā€™s because you want it so others want to cock block you, donā€™t take it personally, they just live to troll others.

1 Like

Not bad idea but compression factor must be not very high.

The only problem is where it will be.
Solutions:

• there will be factional reprocessing service with ability to compress not only ore but also a minerals;
  • special ship for this (for example factional freighter).

What they are saying is you should HAVE to make 10 trips in a Kryos from tether to tether 1000 km apart JUST to move enough minerals for a single Orca build. Like I had to just the other day .

Yeah, that was ZERO amounts of fun.

1 Like

Not even close. I hauled about 550M ISK worth of minerals from station to station (which included Tritanium) in an L4 Kryos and that took me numerous trips. (Didnā€™t count precisely, but it seemed like a good 10 trips).

By-the-way $600M of ISK is 89,446,104,995,000,000 ISK :grin:

But nobody said that. Only you said that. What everyone else is saying is that moving stuff should come with a cost which you want to massively reduce. There might be an argument here, but you have failed to support other than to say, ā€œIt would be so much easier.ā€ Yes, we got that, but is that ā€œGood for the gameā€ to make hauling minerals that much easier?

Oh and grow up and stop calling people retarded because they are actually looking at your idea more deeply/more broadly. It is childish and wonā€™t help your case.

1 Like

Red Frog Freight used to put out annual reports and in them (at least some of them) they listed contracts failed that included ganking as a reason. The number was ridiculously small. So that is the degree of risk you take if you are prudentā€¦ridiculously small. People who are ganked are, by and large, not being prudent. Putting 6 billion ISK in your anti-tanked charon and going through Uedama or Niarja without even a scout is the anti-thesis of prudenceā€¦it is risk loving behavior.

Okay, so the increased risk part is obvious, but why should you be allowed to haul 10x as much? Basing this simply on ā€œBecasueā€ is something Iā€™d expect from a child. Provide more support for this.

EVE is a complex adaptive system and when you make a change like this it is hard to predict how it will affect behavior. The study of complex adaptive systems with heterogeneous agents often displays the properties of novelty and emergenceā€“i.e. new things pop up that are impossible to predict even with a detailed understanding of the agents involved. In short there could be a serious issue with game balance. Somebody argued that there could be just one place where compression takes place. That is possible. Another issue is that it reduces price differentials in the mineral markets in the game since moving large amounts minerals much more efficiently. It might actually decrease ganking even though it in theory increases the risk. And there could be things I have yet to think of that might be undesirable.

So instead of calling everyone idiots and retards consider having an open and honest discussion.

Looks like youā€™re right. I most likely had one too many zeroes in my calculation.

You were supposed to compete for the more concentrated ores.

ā€“Gadget just mines the whole belt.

2 Likes

I like where youā€™re going with this argument Jonah. The point isnā€™t whether to scale down Trit and other minerals but where to put them to best use for hauling considerations. I think this could be interwoven, use the OPā€™s mineral bars as Multifit inputs on module production runs. No queue time, insta-print.