Is Nullsec too large? Is it time we started to trim the game?

Personally, before making changes such as removing or changing NS regions entirely, I would like the space to simply become somewhat dynamic when it comes to rats and resources.

It makes perfect sense, that if you keep exterminating rats for example in a ceirtain system or region, they would start thinning out and eventually relocate elsewhere. Likewise with mining, explo sites, everything.

They should remain in the region as long as it makes sense for them lore wise and not encroach on regions that they shouldnā€™t, but should relocate. Even mission targets, they can stay in general region but could jump over by a couple systems this way or that way.

This would lead to a lot more overall dynamic gameplay.

Then once it gets to the point where even this fails, thats when NS could shrink a bit. And I think it could do so via NPC NS becoming LS, some LS becoming HS. Some unoccupied systems meant for SOV becoming NPC Null.

But, like I said, I do not think we are at the stage of shrinking NS just yet, but we definetly are past due for dynamic space instead of the static we have now.

1 Like

I donā€™t think so, -1.

I think that trying to level the population makes no sense because ns has to be somewhat lower population to work and to provide the gaming it provides.

If anything I would go beyond that with a new outer ring of systems that donā€™t even have gates, everything would have to be built out by corps.

1 Like

Itā€™s actually much more simple than that. Connectivity and current static nature of it really isnā€™t a problem, nor is it an actually big variable. Iā€™m pretty sure that CCP has figured that one out, considering they moved away from the whole player built gates concept transforming that into just an iteration of jump bridges based on Upwell structures in an attempt to make those function as conflict generators. Sure, thereā€™s that other grand plan, but it does not change the foundation elements.

We know the regions. We know the belts. We know the distances. We know the objects in space. We know the moons. We know the planets. We know the remnants of old stuff. We know the ratios and timers of anomalies. We know everything. There isnā€™t a single surprise.

In truth, there isnā€™t a single incentive to even contemplate to go looking for something new.

One might argue that w-space interacting with proper (!) space can be seen as something that shakes things up. But does it really? Iā€™d argue it doesnā€™t. Thereā€™s vested routines now of scanning by default and rolling every hole people can find while tracking everything found in the process. It is conservative behaviour, people shun away from the interaction. They may claim otherwise, but it is conservative behaviour. Sure, stuff happens, but itā€™s hardly cataclysmic or a real trend. Sure, itā€™s part of strategems en considerations for such, but so is every type of connection anywhere.

Itā€™s been years since CCP added regions, and one might very well argue that this wasnā€™t an ideal approach. Ever since CCP has been introducing mechanisms to make space bigger from the inside out (see The Doctor reference hurray). Think of this in terms of economic behaviour, aka feeding. More room per system for people and their alts to make ISK concurrently.

Why not just do like Thanos and" snap"

2 Likes

Thatā€™s the whole premise behind the Butterfly Effect which will throw things into chaos and generate swimming pools full of tear content.

We should probably remove Provi.

They could maybe incorporate such a nullsec space reduction into the lore to justify it in-game so it isnā€™t perceived oog as a ā€œcutbackā€.

E.g. Gates to certain systems mysteriously go offline and after capsuleers do some exploring and intel gathering, itā€™s discovered this is being done by NPCs (Sleepers?) who want to use this space for their own nefarious purposes so are trying to cut it off from the rest of NEā€¦

1 Like

Yep, it could be this simple.

Just take systems that are fly-over and remove them sublimely by redirecting the gates. You can probably cut 1% of the games systems outright by just looking at how much they have been used the last 24 months and if its below a given amount, kill it.

1 Like

No, you just need to scrap truesec (another wonderful CCP Greyscale idea) which caused this problem of condensing in the first place. The anomoly changes were just fuel on the fire, but no one ever spread out before them since if the allianceā€™s only upgraded -0.9 ratting system was busy they just logged a highsec alt on to run incursions.

2 Likes

I am sure, that there is a ton of players in this game, who value solitude. Sweet feeling, that you make a difference in the place you live in. Not only a row on killboard, but real king of small part of new eden. Even if no one else wants that part, because logistic is crap and PVE opportunities are meh thereā€¦ It is still your home and yours only.

So - no , big no for reducing of space to live.

Big yes for more advertising to lure more players into the game. Feel lonely = spend a day in Jita and you will value the calm. Eve offers place for everyone, any activity or life style. Wast emptiness is a part of it.

You want more interaction? Put low sec systems between gallente high sec space , minmatar, caldari and amarr. Add them for FW for lore sake. People will have to focus on their local markets. Pirats will replace gankers. Make Jita low sec and content is there for months, or even yearsā€¦

1 Like

CCP fired the Butterfly quite a while ago. It traumatised some important people who wanted to be awesome while bored with EVE. Itā€™s long story.

2 Likes

Thanks, but no thanks. I like my deserted, ignored backwater NPC null sec systems where I can do what I want and do not have to bother with other individuals whenever they feel like it.

1 Like

And why should there not be deserted systems in the game?

1 Like

The lack of population is easily compensated by the amount of Supers. Supers needs some space.

main-qimg-8cc4553183a30422c56809973a561087-c

1 Like

How many do you really need? Vague question to answer a question but you know how hard this is to deal with.

Living solo in a c3. Love when players say that. It tickles me.

Iā€™d love the ā– ā– ā– ā–  out of this. Highsec space divided by the main factions, lowsec systems along the border. A DMZ.

That said, itā€™d probably murder the game. Jump routes cutting straight through highsec space would alone brutalize things.

I donā€™t ā€œneedā€ them. But that is no reason to remove them.

maintaining the status quo isnā€™t an argument

The bears would just trade locally within their own faction, which is also not a bad thing. It would give some more meaning to resources that are area specific.