Is the Ashimmu really that bad?

So I did a Blood 5/10 recently and got an Ashimmu BPC from it. Figured that that’s cool, right, because it’s a pirate cruiser. Turns out that it’s worth less than a Daredevil is. Is there a reason for that, or an ELI5 for someone who never flies cap warfare ships. I’ve got the skills for one, but I’ve also got the skills for a Curse or a Pilgrim, would it even be worth fitting an Ashimmu for PVP when I’ve got those options instead?

It webs and nuets, does neither very well.

1 Like

It’s cheap as balls and that’s really all it’s got going for it.

It’s too slow to be useful in a nano gang, it’s neuting strength is mediocre at best unless you gimmick it and go full utility (no lasers, all neuts/nos). it has a nice webrange bonus, but your neuts are still super short range, and it doesn’t really have the fitting space or slots to make good use of the web bonus range

Edit:
The Cruor can actually utilize the web range bonus fantastically. It’s fast enough to keep pace with kitey frigs like Slicers and Garmurs (and some Retributions), tap them with a single hit of the web to slow the target down just enough to get in close to land a scram.

The Bhaal uses the Neutralizer amount bonus amazingly. Fitting a bhaal full utility (i.e. no lasers, just all nuets) can be super powerful when you’re fighting targets that are very cap hungery. ships like Marauders and FAXes, that are both heavily reliant on cap, can see their entire cap pools chunked away in just a couple of cycles.

The Ashimmu just does both of those jobs but worse. Can’t use the web range bonus since it’s so slow on its own, and can’t really use the neut amount bonus since you’re limited on PG for fitting.

3 Likes

Its huge fitting allows you to fit oversized AB quite easily, thats about it.

It’s a good ship. It’s just that faction cruisers are a bit too expensive for T1 doctrines and T2 armor doctrines will generally be running Loki webs and Legion neuts.

The Auguror Navy Issue doctrine that Pandemic Horde has been running is one of the only ones where an Ashimmu would fit based on what it does for the price.

The gimmick is in the brawling (1v1) setting. The blood raider line has a bonus to the NOS that it keeps going no matter what your own cap is at. So you can suck someone dry with NOS. Takes a little longer but you can have full cap benefit while drying them out. Just be sure you are fighting something that will be screwed without cap and its a pretty darn good boat.

A very large concentration of players run Blood combat sites in Delve, which is also why Bhaalgorn is cheap for what it brings.

Similar deal with Phantasm, I think the BPC drops from incursions which brings its price down to half or third of other pirate cruisers.

1 Like

The bonuses of that ship are at odds with each other. You can make a good use of those bonuses on a Bhaalgorn because the range of heavy neuts are in line with the range of bonused webs, but that’s not the case for medium or small neuts.

1 Like

Everybody talks about its two utility bonuses but few ever mention its damage which is far low than mediocre for a pirate ship.

2 Likes

It’s a neat throw-away neut ship that brings a longrange web as a bonus. The hull is cool as is.

[Ashimmu, alt]

1600mm Steel Plates II
Damage Control II
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II
Reactive Armor Hardener
F-89 Compact Signal Amplifier

10MN Afterburner II
50MN Y-T8 Compact Microwarpdrive
Stasis Webifier II
Initiated Compact Warp Scrambler

Medium Infectious Scoped Energy Neutralizer
Medium Ghoul Compact Energy Nosferatu
Medium Ghoul Compact Energy Nosferatu

Medium Trimark Armor Pump I

Hammerhead II x3
Hobgoblin II x2

As a normal combat fit, throw an AAR and one heav neut on and you really got something.

[Ashimmu, neut]

Medium Ancillary Armor Repairer
Damage Control II
Reactor Control Unit II
Heat Sink II
Heat Sink II

50MN Quad LiF Restrained Microwarpdrive
Stasis Webifier II
J5 Enduring Warp Disruptor
Small Capacitor Booster II

Heavy Gremlin Compact Energy Neutralizer
Focused Medium Pulse Laser II, Scorch M
Small Energy Nosferatu II

Medium Ancillary Current Router I

Caldari Navy Hornet x2
Caldari Navy Vespa x3

As already mentioned, they are so cheap because Goons in Delve Farm these ships.

Other than that, the Ashimmu is a good fleet support ship for small fleets (long range webs + neuts) in one platform!

It is also very good in 1 vs. 1 PVP as you have great range control and good neutralizing power. So either you kill your enemy or you can disengage if you want. Problem is that nobody will engage solo an Ashimmu because of this.

Long range neuts plus long range webs. This ship is killer for fleet support. It’s also used for gate camps a lot. The DPS can be on the lower end but solid tank. 1v1 it’s sick because the nos/neuts are game changer. The web can help snag a target. I would think it’s cheaper due to greater farming, and it’s not PVE useful like gila.

The Ashimmu does not have a neut range bonus.

Minmatar cruiser: 20% web range per level
Amarr cruiser: 15% neut/nos amount per level

Look at the Vigilant for example, capable of a good tank and 800 dps. The Ashimuu is good solely because of its neuts (and being cheap). It has 2 nosferatus, 300 dps, and about 50k ehp. Ehp*damage, whichever is higher, whichever wins, with the exception of some things. It also has good cap/powergrid so it can fit an oversized AB.

We can now talk about neuts. With 2 neuts the Ashimuu is capable of neuting the regular pirate ship in 1 minute. You can be fit 3 neuts, which would increase the chances of other people coming in while you’re attacking the one guy. Also, you won’t have enough tank to neut them either, and you’d die to cap boosters. You have terrible range control, as you are a brawler to use the neuts, and decrease the utility of great energy turret range control. With an oversized AB it is difficult to control orbit and even against kiters you’d still be putting off less true damage.

The Ashimmu is an ewar ship. As ewar as the keres. And since its ewar has short range, unlike other ewar, it’s bad ewar. So fleets never use it, and it’s not really good at solo either.

The ashimmu with nos can be wicked as well. With repping boat, can outlast any other ship

But for solo pvp people only use ancil boosters because of how short the fights are. And if you’re in fleet you’d be primaried and also since you’re ewar (also since you’re smack in the middle fo the enemy fleet you’d die soon).

(edit) actually sometimes people fit a non-ancil booster, but its not conventional nor effective

Ashimmu seems to be alright. Gets it share of use in all areas of space.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.