Is this how low gfx settings look like nowadays?

Actually station hangar in EVE is just a model of hangar without anything else around it. Its like a separate instance or something, graphically. In Star Citizen you have everything pretty much inside game universe graphically. There are windows and you can see outside, you can fly somewhere or walk there.

yes, but we are discussing a game that ACTUALLY exists. not just a kickstarter scam.

I prefer the actual realism EVE provides compared to the rather limited realism in a game that doesn’t allow people the freedom to shoot others whenever one sees fit. These games are golden cages offering only a limited spectrum of interactions.

I wonder if there’s a study about this. People who rather live in a 1984-esque world, having all cares and self-responsibility taken away from them and with a pre-defined set of behaviours, compared to people who rather live like old tribes, forced to take care of themselves, being able to do what they want.

Law and order is the fundamental thing tribe is build upon, and that law and order comes from basic psychology of people. Culture was a basis for civilization that we build upon. The first law stems from a social interaction that can result in ultimate consequences, broken bones, cut tongues and ears and noses, death, so its something very serious. Games are not realistic to such extend, and never can be damaging like real consequences experienced in reality.

So. in case of games, where in general, from definition penalties are not damaging, when players are given environment that allows interactions, the game makers dont allow certain actions, that are deemed non-acceptable (non-consensual) by players who play it first, creators. Sometimes, like in EVE, creators allow certain actions that can be deemed non-acceptable even by creators, like non-consensual pvp, and making penalties that are not serious or omitable. There is also EULA put above it all. Players go there, where interactions they find are what they prefer. In case of EVE its also visible in security status areas, what people expect and in what amount.

You sound like social antropologist.

Bring back graphic bug, optimalization was better at higher setting with my potato graphic card.

I have only read some Bronisław Malinowski books.

First person is realism.
Orbiting planets is realism.
Spaceships in space instead of a swimming pool is realism.

Shooting others whenever you see fit is a rule. Or, if you like, a mechanic.

The legend. Witkacy was his friend.

Yes, but it also moved humanity forward for millenia. In EVE we have equivalents of the above. You get scammed and lose your money, you get exploded and lose your ship, etc etc. Not-So-Ultimate consequences, of course, because capsuleers are immortal. Yet, funnily enough, the extremists whine about even these silly, virtual consequences as if they happened in real life.

I don’t get that part. Sure, back in UO times when this whole horror began, there were lots of people whining about stuff that came down to their lacking ability of taking care of themselves and defending themselves. They got what they wanted and UO pretty much died as a result.

The industry went on pandering to exactly these people, because they learned they make them money and nowadays it’s the norm to have people with limited interaction praising themselves as MMOs which they actually aren’t, because people usually don’t play together. Today, in 2019, we see a shift towards actual MMOs though in the form of battle royals.

Well yes, Captain Obvious, that’s correct and doesn’t really add anything at all.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.