Jita Astronomical Observatory - Exploring New Eden - An EVE Online Astronomy Club

Can’t argue with that.

Okay, there are few here that will. But you know what I mean.

Mr Epeen :sunglasses:

1 Like

But this is less fog right? This is further from star.

I like this sort of content. It’s actually pretty cool. You just don’t need multiple threads about it when an additional post in this thread would work better, where each new post will keep it towards the top of the threads, as opposed to making a new thread for each one and then watching as it falls through the other threads and gets locked after 3 months of no one posting in it. Please don’t confuse my enforcing rules as me being petty. It’s not.

1 Like

Thanks for liking it, I just disagree in this instance because of how much content is waiting to be discovered.

Just suggest to make a whole sub-forum for it. I’d keep it plenty full of new posts so it wouldn’t be a waste…

Honestly, I don’t know HOW CCP built it, but somehow they have a fairly consistent star-field, with interesting objects to discover. It looks like there’s a lot of potential here for player-driven content to actually map out New Eden.

Because as mentioned elsewhere, we can show the New Eden map to be “relative” and not to scale.

And we can prove the “Jump Drives” are not accurate either (which can be written off with story-content like warping spacetime etc.)

I just think it’d be more organized if more threads could be made, and also if it wasn’t piled in with General Discussion (though this may be a pipe dream).

I’ll ask, but there’s a few subforums that would also work, such as Known Space.

Incidentally I happened to prove that there are OVERLAPPING astronomical structures between regions.

The Forge and Lonetrek both contain what I call The Holly Bough Nebula but is properly known as Caroline’s Star

Caroline’s Star

I so call it because it looks like a green bough of holly (nothing else came to mind).

That… is Caroline’s Star. It has an entire lore reason for existing, though no one is sure why it can be seen all across New Eden despite being created only a few years ago.

This might work just as sufficiently. If soooo…maybe leave this ONE thread here for more to view, but some bigger discoveries/ideas can be posted in some themed threads in Known Space.

It’s all a rather new concept, I have been kinda wanting to do this for a while then today decided to finally start; not knowing where to begin; and it’s just developing as it goes along.

I think the coolest possible task for the community would be to figure out the actual distances between star systems using the available information.

There should be enough, but it’s no easy task.

That’s pretty cool actually. I’m not even sure where I’d go to pick up that lore because frankly the lore-delivery system in game is pretty poor.

I suggest look at the old game Thief. Not its newer renditions but Thief 1 and Thief 2 especially.

They had a way of injecting lore into the game that was phenomenal through things you’d discover along the way that were tangential but usually important to the missions.

Maybe look into bringing Project Compass back. It was originally for Anoikis, but I see no reason besides lack of members and Arek’Jaalan not being a thing for many years that it couldn’t make a come back.

1 Like

Some of us are still alive and active in the RP community.

1 Like

I can’t say that I am an active RP’er; I’m just going off things I can remember since I’m old. But it’s great to see people working together to figure stuff out, especially when it comes to lore in EVE that isn’t explicitly spelled out.

2 Likes

This indeed does look like it would be right up the alley of Project Compass.

Ever since I saw the robust “Ancient Spire University” of Sea of Thieves…where they literally map out the pattern the storm follows, and figured out the timing of the Solar eclipses…

I was hoping EvE had a complex enough background to sustain a similar project.

Shame it seems old and rusted. Let’s dust it off somehow.

This is still the greatest mystery I think exists since there seems to be continuity, but who really designed it to have any?

Go back to the Divining Rod constellation.

I’m reasonably certain that it is NOT a set of Stars that are part of the New Eden Jump-gate system. So it’s part of the Background Skybox.

But…I’m reasonably certain that the constellation morphs as would be expected changing viewing angle over great distances, between Jita and Josameto.

If that’s the case, I wonder what the reason is, if it’s just stars on a skybox…or what the skybox actually is, maybe that’s only for the Astronomical Features, and the star-field is itself a real 3-dimensional thing visible from any point within a 3-dimensional New Eden?

The main reason Arek’Jaalan stopped was the person in charge of it left the company, and no one took over if I’m not mistaken. Nothing saying a player couldn’t dust it off and get it rolling again, though it was aimed at wormhole space.

Though also to be fair it introduced us to trinary data code, interestingly enough.

1 Like

Are you saying you’re using a Ternary system or I’m misunderstanding what you’re alluding to?

The best way to test that is to keep it’s position in mind and go system to system seeing if you can keep track of it. You might even be able to get it named after you ala Caroline’s Star!

As for the nebula being larger than should be maybe it can be explained with gravitational lens effect due to dark matter or whatever exotic reason one can come up with. Not necessarily 100% scientifically accurate but stuff in EVE aren’t 100% scientifically accurate either or just some things work differently in the New Eden cluster of space. So not sure if actually a good solution maybe other better explanation would exists, just bringing it up that there can be explanations even if some sort of anomalous ones. :bulb:

Aint nobody wants my ugly mug immortalized in an EVE Constellation :wink:

But, on that note, that is how I would set about figuring out the starfield, but I got wrapped up in a few other more interesting tasks such as approximating the Badminton Nebula’s location on the New Eden map, which lead to the discussion about lightyear problems and New Eden map problems…so got a bit side tracked from the starfield.

While creative, the actual explanation is more easily explained with the distances being much greater than the New Eden Map suggests.

And certainly greater than the Jump Drive suggests.

I think enough evidence has been compiled to throw both out as reliable sources for distances. I’d rather write-off the Jump Drive distances as being warped-space accounting figures that somehow map to general-relative spacetime.

And the New Eden map never has to be to “scale” anyway. It just shows relativistic positions in a convenient format for navigation.