Jita Astronomical Observatory - Exploring New Eden - An EVE Online Astronomy Club

Honestly, there should be a way to integrate these things into the game better. For instance, this case there could be a story-mission type NPC you get missions from, and one of them is about this lore and searching for additional clues. And it includes the actual player-created content from previous such episodes.

I’ll pass that idea along. Lore integration for EVE always seems tricky.

1 Like

Precisely the first hurdle we have to test. Can we come up with a reasonable approximation of distance from Jita to New Caldari?

It’s Jita Observatory because of where I’m based but we can have observatories wherever :smiley:

But if we can beat that hurdle, then yes, anyone with enough time or tools can create a 3-d map that is accurate to the real size of New Eden (given all its consistencies and inconsistencies as well.)

We may very well discover that different measurement locations = different results, because the starfield and background skybox may not map equally.

Such is common in games to give the illusion of reality, like again Sea of Thieves…you’re about 3 feet tall when walking based on distance measurements, but when you run you’re about 14 feet tall based on the same measurements…

Because to create the illusion of movement in a 3-d game world doesn’t exactly mean it has to actually be like the real world…lol

If you go to Eram you will find the project has a site.
And I believe we have an upwell in system also though not 100% on that.

1 Like

First thing that comes to mind seems to be a special kind of NPC scattered in various locations that helps to integrate the lore.

Since EVE is so market-driven the tricky part seems to be the reward system that incentivizes players to do anything at all…

Plus EVE is a persistent world which is what’s good about it, but makes it hard to relive something that happened already.

Unless you introduce something like simulate the past events and send players “back in time” for that event and they have to do something during the event like collect a piece of data…so they can see old battles in real time as if they were there, but they can’t change the outcome of the battle, just have to find some item amidst the chaos like in a dungeon raid.

Theoretically all that’s recorded and could be implemented.

Project Compass?

Arek’Jaalan as a whole. Even has a visitor’s center that gives you information about it. Go check it out!

On that note, I need sleep. Have fun exploring!

1 Like

Yeah I definitely gamed too much today. Gonna be feeling like a weirdo for a week.

To-do list so far:

1. Determine if Jita to New Caldari distance can be determined.
  2. Better map the starfield, check for consistencies and inconsistencies.
  3. Look for other cross-region consistencies other than Caroline’s Star.
  4. Continue to map Officially Named Constellations to the New Eden Sky as was done with Onirvura and Kimotoro.

If you’re looking for a neat astronomical sight, I would recommend going to the Carrou system. It has a sister-system (Ignoitton) that is remarkably close to it. As a result you can clearly see it. People unfamiliar with it often mistake it as a new Caroline’s Star.

1 Like

I do want to see this, thanks much! I want to see what New Eden’s version of a probable binary system actually looks like…

I was just going over some of the star-shift info I already collected, thinking in the abstract if it could be useful in determining distances.

I’m still stuck on the actuality of determining a distance in New Eden. We need a way to measure something to create a “meter stick” by which to measure all other distances, too.

• Next test, if there’s any parallax from one side of a solar system to the next.

I should head to bed but if you’re in the area feel free to post the astronomical site. I’d love to see new submissions from others!

This is the Forge From the outside, notice the dark and silver-lined clouds and the peaking of red of The Forge Nebula.

The Forge

Perimeter and Jita are somewhat below the actual Forge Nebula, which makes sense, it’s not engulfed by it or you’d see nothing outside of it

Then is this the Badminton Nebula? It’s in a relatively correct position related to Kisogo (lower left)

Lots of interesting observations to be made from this space, and definitively shows Astronomical structures other than Caroline’s Star straddling the regional boundaries.

1 Like

Actually I’m pretty sure the red-smudge identified in The Forge is the Badminton Nebula, it fits really well. So that part of the Forge Nebula (its dark shroud) is going to be in the previously identified location more or less near Kisogo.

I’m tempted to say that the red nebula as seen from Galente Border Region is an entirely new Nebula outside the view of the Forge.

Kisogo’s relationship to Badminton Nebula

Also even in Faurent the path to Deltole lines up rather well with the red-smudge on the outside of the Forge, so I’d say there’s remarkable consistency between Deltole’s location vis-a-vis the Badminton Nebula and its position from the other side of the Badminton Nebula.

The whole “Forge Nebula” seems a bit high for the stars that participate in it, which throws off the apparent line of site of the Badminton Nebula, but otherwise the stars seem to be in the right place.

We’re not really talking about the same thing, I think.

The grey fog is the result of the brightness/contrast ratio of the image.

I just did it quickly in paint.net. It’s not a 100% accurate comparison,
but I believe it gets the point across. My in-game brightness is set to 20%ish.
It works great for Pochven. My example here doesn’t really cut it.

Great thread, btw!

Next time I log in I’ll make sure to give you a proper comparison.
If you want me to delete my posts I will do so accordingly.

Just take a look at it, then you’ll see if you like it.
All it takes is adjusting the Brightness slider.

1 Like

It’s good, I’ll take that into account for when “picture taking”.

I’d definitely like to see contributions.

I don’t know if I feel defeated or not by the view from Faulent. Its view of what definitely looks like the backside of The Forge Nebula just doesn’t line-up perfectly with the view from Jita of Deltole just below the supposedly identified Badminton Nebula.

The problem there is I’m not sure the much larger and now closer red nebula beneath Caroline’s Star is itself not the Badminton Nebula.

If it is…then it sort of solves the problem, but creates new problems?

Either way, it’s fairly consistent, if it’s off at all it’s off by only some…not a lot.

1 Like

Actually this works…rather well.

The red smudge on The Forge Nebula seen from Faulent is just a part of The Forge.

There’s a dark cloud which conveniently explains the missing red nebula that should be “south” of the Caroline’s Eye.

Thus the more prominent red nebula can in fact be Badminton Nebula seen more from the side. And that is better aligned for Jita, Perimeter, Kisogo, etc., to view Deltole.

Especially given that New Eden Map is not accurately aligned with stellar alignments.

This can be explained as the New Eden Map builds a map such that all systems’ ecliptic planes are on the same plane. So the Map is altered for that purpose…

2 Likes

Badminton is a game. The item you are describing is called a shuttlecock. Shuttlecock Nebula would be the more appropriate name.

1 Like

Let’s change it then…I can’t be well versed in the ways of silly games :wink:

On second thought…let’s just leave it. Makes for an interesting story.

Sort of how explorers named the West Indies thinking they discovered the other Indies islands in South East Asia.

1 Like