Jita Astronomical Observatory - Exploring New Eden - An EVE Online Astronomy Club

The explorers knew where they were - nobody believed that was India. It was all part of a PR ruse to get more funding from Europe.

1 Like

Well this is a ruse to get people to play Badminton dammit, nobody knows what a shuttlecock is!

I’d be down to formally change it to the Shuttlecock Nebula just seems like a lot of work haha so we’ll see… :wink:

1 Like

People often call them birdies instead.

Birdie Nebula

1 Like

Nah too abstract, doesn’t look anything like a bird, would definitely be confusing then. Plebes man, think of the plebes. Only plebes see a nebula from one angle.

It’s possible the same nebula looks vastly different in Faulent, hard to tell at this time if that is the case, I’d have to revisit Faulent.

Clearly Badminton Nebula was named by stupid Jitan Plebes

1 Like

I CAN’T ■■■■■■■ TELL IF YOU’RE SERIOUS!

STOP THIS!
NOW!

Other people run their seriousness from about 8-10 (or 11, in the case of American politics). I usually operate in the 3-6 range. But yes, I am completely serious - many people do call shuttlecocks birdies.

1 Like

Okay …
… you turbo nerds.

:grin:

I can only be me.

1 Like

You’re doing it right.

1 Like

You’re a nerd too. Help figure out the distance from Jita to New caldari.

Or the size of The Forge Nebula.

You can look up the coordinates and do the math yourself.

This is one of these moments where I regret never continuing working on my map. -.-

I dont think that’d work? The New Eden Map is not accurate. It’s a relative positioning not to scale.

Nonsense.

Coordinates are vectors written in a database.
Every region, system, star, planet and moon has a set of coordinates and a size.

It’s all in 3D space.
These coordinates represent everything you see in the game.

When you display them in 3D …
… and zoom out far enough …
… you can see JSpace and Abyssal DeadSpace.

Index of /dump/latest (fuzzwork.co.uk)

There you go.
The names of the files are kind of descriptive enough to figure out what they contain.

WinRAR can decompress the .BZ2s.
The .CSVs contain a header with the name of the data,
followed with the data seperated by commas.

All of this data is also available at https://esi.evetech.net
… with tons of examples where you just click a button and see the data coming in.

Knock yourself out.

How do we know this to be the case? Their observed positions dont match their relative positions in the Map.

So where is the coordinate system you’re referring to?

Wait I did just see your link but am on my phone at the moment. So I’ll have to look at it later and see if indeed it’s useful.

It would make sense then the coordinated star systems are all “universal” which would be cool.

But as I mentioned was yet to be proven.

Dude. It’s all vectors.

The nebulae are inaccurate.

They’re painted.

There are stars in the backdrop which are accurately reflecting the positions of others stars in 3d space …
… but the nebulae are just painted.

Oh, I think now I get it.

You’re talking about how it doesn’t look right in the in-game map?!

Yes I know I figured as much given that they are a background for regions. But can you verify that EVERY star is in the vectors too? Because that doesnt seem to be the case.

There are many stars not linked by jump gates.

What’s a vector?

The map, btw, has two ways of looking at it.
I believe it’s not accurate simply because the map …
… when displayed as is based on the coordinates …
… is not really great to look at.

I’ll dig out some of my screenshots.
They gotta be somewhere.

Nevermind, I’ve scaled the coordinates non-uniformly, so they’re of no use.

Might take a look at it in the near future.

I believe the map is not accurate for another reason.

The literal reason is it just doesn’t need to be. It’s not mapping actual positions.

The role playing reason is it flattens everything out. If you try to harmonize the background features with the star field then you can clearly argue that some systems are oriented different ways than others.

Even though most systems are oriented the same within each region.

Well, thanks to you I’ve been looking at my old screenshots.

I’m going to look at the map again.
This time it’s going to be much faster to do …
… and not be running the browser.

Thanks… I think.

In any case, next time I’m in the game I will look at the world map …
… and tell you if it looks wrong. Iirc it does look wrong, but I rarely ever use it.

Are you using abstract mode?