KVN-36 Node Death - 2020/08/21

I think you mean is the path to constant desyncs.
Multi threading is not magic. They already do split out what can be. But at a certain level.you spend more cpu splitting processes out and trying to keep them in order than you save by splitting them out in the first place.

1 Like

:joy:behave

So CCP shouldnā€™t allow it, or limit it or remove from game completely then. You canā€™t tell people not use something when it exists in game use it. Its not the players fault here its the software and hardware.
Next youā€™ll be saying dont fire tons of missiles or guns, dont have hardners on, dont have links bursting, dont use drones or fighters etc ā€¦i mean cmonā€¦

it helps when CCP are informed of large fleet engagements so they can prepare to reinforce the nodeā€¦

The node died with only 2300 in local !!!

Why would defenders losing a structure give up and help the enemy get a juicy killmail if there are ways to save it like say ā€¦ crash the node ?

I donā€™t know if Goons/Imperium where responsible for the node death or not but if they where I can certainly see why they did it.

The ability to destroy 100 BS with only one Burst Jammer II is AMUSING!

1 Like

the solution is , 24 hrs or 48hrs after the timer started, the Keepstar is put into the same position as when the server crashed. Fair chance for everyone to resume the fight

1 Like

First of all the node crashed due to smartbombing of our jackdaw fleet by the enemy. So it was PANFAM and pets ā€œfaultā€. Server handled our smartbombing of the ferox fleet as the deaths came slower but jackdaw fleet evaporated in a few ticks which spiked the load a lot. I very much doubt that the intention was to crash the server.

Finally, crashing a server intentionally is always a gamble. The one who gets back in first has a huge advantage. It works if you are PANFAM saving your super/titan fleet in southeast some years ago as you are not forced to get back in, but it does not work when defending structures as the structure is still there and you have to get back in to defend it.

In the end the reality is that there is no such thing as infinitely powerful CPUs and we too have to consider TiDi and how to handle it. Crying on forums just shows the usual approach of elitepvpers who want kills served to them without any effort.

Why was that not the solution when the same thing happened to us? Or when the node crash saved the entire Panfam super/titan fleet from annihilation?

1 Like

Think it over one more time.
What will happen when the servers can handle, letā€™s say, 4000 people without crashing? We will bring more than 4000 people.
What will happen when the servers can handle, 5000 players without crashing? We will bring more than 5000 players ā€¦
And so on, and so forth.

This problem can not be solved by having bigger and better servers. Period.

We will need to deal with Tidi and accept it, or go do something else.

The only other solution is a hard cap on the number of people in a single system, and that is NOT an acceptable solution. Tidi and the occasional crashing server is a better one.

1 Like

I wonder how they missed the largest war in eve recently :thinking:

Yeah, sure - I understand all that - and even agree.
Which is why Iā€™m looking for solutions.

So, we have had fights where both the server survived a Keepstar fight, survived 4000 plus in system and a restart of the server after crash. Seeing it crash now at only 2300 in system - and then preventing the fight from restarting after the crash because the goal posts have been effectively removed - is what CCP needs to solve - and solve with a solution that can be TRUSTED - i.e.: find a ā€œwork aroundā€ solution players are able to live with AND conduct large scale wars under.

What Iā€™m aiming at here is something most people should have seen: if CCP doesnt at least change the timer to say 30 mins - it will become impossible to conduct the war - a war, any war of any serious size.
At least impossible to ask people to believe they can conduct a large scale war
without having their largest fights being decided by server crashes, lottery, and coin toss style decision - not their ā€œprowessā€. Good luck trying to ask people to join a war like that.

So in a single ā€œstrokeā€ they will have confirmed that they have removed the one thing thats great enough to reach the mainstream news: the great wars.

They will not only have killed this war off for good - but all subsequent ones.
Who will bother even attempting to kill more than one (defended) Keepstar - after this?

So in effect CCP will have made a decision (or failed to make one) that directly is the cause of stopping this war, and removing any hopes of there ever being a great war again.

I agree and have agreed all along that we can all accept Tidi, I have never protested tidi, I have conceded that its a hardware problem that cant be solved along with the n+1 / x100k whatever problem.

Iā€™ve even accepted that the server will crash - just not that it should be caused by liminal storms, or something completely avoidable. Weā€™ve had fights with more than 2300 so 4k should at least be a goal.

We accept the server will crash and hope CCP can counter that with increasing the timer to/with at least 30 mins - at least something that makes it possible to log back in - so that fighting can resume after crash(es). And barring thereā€™s some other serious issues Iā€™ve missed (which Iā€™m sure there are plenty of) - we all should hope that that will make it possible to keep on fighting and still make it possible to have large scale wars in EVE.

1 Like

You do get server crashes have always been a part of massive null warfare in EVE right?
This is not going to cancel all wars.

1 Like

it didnā€™t take half that number for Goons to tidi themselves out of a keepstar kill two years ago when they spammed fightersā€¦

2 Likes

It will if the Keepstar timers keep saving the Keepstars after each crash.

Seems Elise Randolph on last TiS show is pretty optimistic that CCPā€™s ā€œServer Hamster Whispererā€ will be able to fix all the latest issues - thatā€™s uplifting to hear at least - happy to hear that. After the 64 bit client came out we had some really big fights that felt better and broke some participation numbers as well, while tidi wasnt so bad - so seems clear that a reinforced node should be able to tackle large fights better than the one we had over KVN KS.

But like many people noted experiencing in recent fights, even in fights that were not as big / did not include massive smart bombing or tons of fighters: - the overview has started suddenly malfunctioning and going completely blank for a lot of people, - a problem I havent seen either in the past half a decade of playing.

So weā€™re having more problems than just server crashes and it seems to have been caused by fairly recent adjustments /patches / changes to the game - which corresponds with the fact that suddenly 2300 players, some smartbombing and using fighters crashes the server - even before ANY titan and their AoE weapons have entered and have started up in the system.

1 Like

I dont really understand the logic of the current TIDI system, ok so TIDI kicks in and players DPS is reduced by X amount. Surely then the min DPS to pause the timer and the damage cap should also be reduced by X amount. I cant see that any other solution is fair to both sides.

the dps isnā€™t slowed down and neither is the damage cap or the timer, because as far as the server is concerned everything is still running in real time except for the command queue. In tidi fests you have to be thinking twenty minutes ahead on every keypress because that last time you hit F1 to try and get your guns to work is in the queue with 200,000 other commands from 4,000 other players trying to do pretty much exactly the same thing you are. Plus the server has to work out just exactly what is happening on field from tick to tick.

Yes it is.
Tidi literally slows the ticks down on that node.