L3 Arty Cane - Please rate my fit

The plan is to breeze through level 3 missions, so I chose Artillery with a tracking computer for range, EMP S, passive shield tank with good regen and light drones.

[High Slots]
6x 720 mm ‘Scout’ Artillery I, EMP S
1x Drone Link Augmentor I

[Mid Slots]
1x Large Shield Extender II
1x Adaptative Invulnerability Field II
1x Tracking Computer II, Range Script
1x 10 MN Monopropellant Enduring AB

[Low Slots]
3x Gyrostabilizers II
1x Power Diagnostic System II
2x Shield Power Relays II

[Rigs]
3x Medium Core Defense Field Purger I

With the EMP S and the Range Script, I have a 20 km optimal range (54 km falloff), the drones can reach to 60 km, my speed is capped at 478 m/s, signature radius is as low as possible, EHP of 32k+ with 75 hp/s regen, and my alpha dmg is a bit over 2800 HP (bit over 408 dps).

Cap stable with the AB turned off. I have 45 seconds of cap time with everything turned on.

Is it any good?

1 Like

I made some changes.

OK, I downgraded the Artillery fire and now it’s Cap stable, but my alpha is down to 1736 HP. I also let go of the Drone Augmentor and picked up a RLML for killing small frigates. I figured the light drones are better off staying close to my ship, anyway. I also gave up on the Range Script and swapped it for a Tracking Script for a 24% bonus.

Shields are the same at 32.490 EHP and 75 HP/s regen.

[High Slots]
6x 650 mm Medium ‘Scout’ Artillery I, EMP S
1x RLML, Mjolnir Missiles

[Mid Slots]
1x Large Shield Extender II
1x Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
1x Optical Tracking Computer, Tracking Script
1x 10 MN Monopropellant Enduring AB

[Low Slots]
3x Gyrostabilizers II
2x Shield Power Relay II
1x Power Diagnostics System II

[Rigs]
3x Medium Core Defense Field Purger I

1 Like

Yeah, the second fit looks much better. I don’t know what your skill’s are like but with max Omega skills should be able to do just fine…

I suggest replace one of the Field Purger rigs with Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer rig to plug the EM hole in shield resistance stats. Swap out the other 2 Field Purger rigs for T2 to get better shield recharge rate.

Can drop a Shield Power Relay mod and replace it with Damage Control mod to boost defensive stats. I haven’t checked but should be ok to replace other Shield Power Relay with another Power Diagnostic System. That will boost shield HP’s, shield recharge rate and Cap stats.

Also use different munitions and Drones for specific NPC weakness. Personally I would look into getting T2 weapons and use Faction Gyro’s.

1 Like
  1. Best L3 Cane fit is a Machariel with warp speed rigs.
  2. Tracking bonus on Cane Fleet issue is golden

just saying…

[Hurricane Fleet Issue, PVE vs angel cartel]

Republic Fleet Gyrostabilizer
Gyrostabilizer II
Damage Control II
Tracking Enhancer II
Capacitor Flux Coil II
Gyrostabilizer II

Federation Navy 10MN Afterburner
Dread Guristas Explosive Deflection Amplifier
Domination Large Shield Booster
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II

720mm Howitzer Artillery II, Quake M
Rapid Light Missile Launcher II, Nova Fury Light Missile
Rapid Light Missile Launcher II, Nova Fury Light Missile

Medium Core Defense Capacitor Safeguard II
Medium Capacitor Control Circuit II
Medium Capacitor Control Circuit II

Valkyrie II x5

Mid-grade Crystal Alpha
Mid-grade Crystal Beta
Mid-grade Crystal Gamma
Mid-grade Crystal Delta
Mid-grade Crystal Epsilon
Inherent Implants ‘Squire’ Capacitor Systems Operation EO-603
Eifyr and Co. ‘Rogue’ Evasive Maneuvering EM-703
Inherent Implants ‘Squire’ Capacitor Management EM-803
Eifyr and Co. ‘Gunslinger’ Surgical Strike SS-903
Zainou ‘Deadeye’ Rapid Launch RL-1003

use compact LSE and compact AB and you may be able to keep on the 720

power diagnostic gives shield, cap and pwr so maybe can even go to enduring AB

remember the AB should not be often on, because it screws your tracking.

Tracking shouldn’t be too bad if keep range for the arty’s by leading the rat pack.

if you say so. I don’t know for the cane, but I know for the mach being still help a lot.

maybe the tracking ratio makes it as good on the cane.

I use to use an Arty Cain in lv 3 missions, would keep range from the nearest one and lead the rat pack. When that rat was destroyed, would then advance to the next one and do the same thing again. The ship only got to full speed when first getting range, after that it never really got up to full speed due to constantly going back and forth.

Later I switched to Autocannons and started doing up-close brawling tactics for faster completion and to not have a long line of wrecks leading away from the warp in beacon.

1 Like

if you can fit an MWD it’s probably worth it, there’s some long travel distances in some missions.

this is what I had in pyfa, it’s a touch light on the tank but if you goal is to breeze through the missions I assume you have enough experience and skills to manage that. I did a bunch of lv3 blitzing in a pretty similarly fit ferox. Might even be able to swap the rigs for hyperspatials to speed up your warps. or swap an invlun for a tracking comp for even more application.

[Hurricane, Hurricane shield extenders]

Tracking Enhancer II
Tracking Enhancer II
Gyrostabilizer II
Gyrostabilizer II
Gyrostabilizer II
Gyrostabilizer II

50MN Quad LiF Restrained Microwarpdrive
Large Shield Extender II

650mm Artillery Cannon II, Republic Fleet EMP M
[Empty High slot]

Medium Core Defense Field Extender I

1 Like

Definitely different fit up compared to what I normally do for missions.

UPDATE!

And some progress made.

Hey guys. Back with more questions and a new fit. I’ve been having trouble with the Artillery guns. As I’m new to the game, please bear with me as I collect my thoughts. The most important points:

1. From what little experience I’ve had, this is my take on Arty vs AC (for running missions, specifically): Artillery weapons seem to be the strategician (it’s a real word, I’ve checked) choice as it allows for you to position your ship at a certain range and not have to worry about incoming DPS; Autocannons, on the other hand, are great for killing them fast but require that you chase the prey.

2. Artillery consumes a crap ton of resources and even with good skills, it can be a pain to outfit your ship with the modules that you want. Autocannons don’t limit as much.

3. I was running the Artillery fit from my previous (latest) post and something’s been bugging me: it’s slow. The speed is good enough for keeping range, but looting the wrecks takes forever! The 10 MN Afterburner is not enough, in my opinion.

4. So, I DO LIKE Artillery. Most fights consist of me pulling up the strategic view, “Qing” a position that’s advantageous to me and then I mostly just sit there not moving, sniping the targets from 30 km away. It’s nice. A bit boring, but safe.

So, the next big question for me was: how can I fit a 50 MN MWD in an Artillery ship? Or a 100 MN AB. The answer I’ve found is by sacrificing a LOT. I’m unsure how to proceed from here. What engineering modules or rigs can help me out on this one and is it worth the trouble?

Lastly, as I experienced with the propulsion modules, I came up with an Autocannon fit that seems good on paper, but haven’t really tried it yet because it’s A) too expensive for me at the moment and B) it’s Autocannons, so the range is abysmal and that scares me a little. Here it is:

[Hurricane, MWD Autocannons]

High:
6x 425mm Autocannons II, Barrage M
1x RLML II, Mjolnir Fury LM

Mid:
2x Large Shield Extenders II
1x Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
1x 50 MN Y-T8 Compact MWD

Low:
3x Gyrostabilizers II
2x Tracking Enhancers II
1x Power Diagnostic System II

Rigs:
1x Medium Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer II
2x Medium Core Defense Field Purgers II

It’s cap stable with the MWD turned off. I have 4 minutes of MWD before the power goes, but I imagine it’s more than enough to close in for the kill (it’s a whooping 1275 m/s - more than 3x what I currently have in my Artillery fit), the DPS is much better, the alpha damage is actually pretty close to what I have with T1 Artillery cannons, and the EHP is also much better. My guess is this fit can finish the missions faster, not to mention an easier time looting the wrecks in the end.

The second Large Shield Extender II could be swapped for another Adaptive Invulnerability Field II, but only for a slight bonus in my resists. Also, doing so would diminish my capacitor to about 2:50 minutes total with the MWD on. Not sure if it’s worth the trouble.

Thank you all for helping me out! Sorry for the long post. I’m loving the rock-paper-scissor system, by the way.

1 Like

And this is where I point out that you are not forced to use shields… and that there are alternate fits with their own trade-offs. Here is an example of an auto-cannon build that when the MWD off is cap stable with everything else still running… and is armor fit. Not even bothering with a RLML, the web is enough to help peel pesky frigates off you with how AC’s work on slower moving targets at close range.

425 AC Cane / Armor fit with web, Alpha usable

[Hurricane, 425 AC / Armor (a) Web]

Medium Armor Repairer II
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II
Damage Control II
Power Diagnostic System II
Gyrostabilizer II
Gyrostabilizer II

50MN Cold-Gas Enduring Microwarpdrive
Tracking Computer II
X5 Enduring Stasis Webifier
Large Compact Pb-Acid Cap Battery

425mm AutoCannon II
425mm AutoCannon II
425mm AutoCannon II
425mm AutoCannon II
425mm AutoCannon II
425mm AutoCannon II
Core Probe Launcher I

Medium Auxiliary Nano Pump I
Medium Anti-Thermal Pump I
Medium Anti-Explosive Pump I

Hobgoblin II x5

Core Scanner Probe I x8
Tracking Speed Script x1

Basically you have a few minutes with both the MWD and repper running at the same time, but you can keep either one running permanently while the other is off and remain completely cap stable. And you really only need the MWD to get in or out. Resist rigs can be set as you see fit for the content you plan on running. For an Omega you can swap out the adaptive membrane for a Reactive Hardener because of better skills making that not hit your capacitor too hard.

Edit: Looking it over, you can do a 650 arty fit with an MWD without losing too much for solo PvE… but flat out forget about attempting a 720 arty fit with MWD without either giving up a gun or building for brick with another ship on rep duty.

650 Arty with MWD / Armor fit

[Hurricane, 650 Arty / Armor (a)]

Medium Armor Repairer II
Armor EM Hardener II
Armor Thermal Hardener II
Damage Control II
Gyrostabilizer II
Gyrostabilizer II

50MN Cold-Gas Enduring Microwarpdrive
Cap Recharger II
Cap Recharger II
Medium Cap Battery II

650mm Artillery Cannon II
[Empty High slot]

Medium Ancillary Current Router I

Hobgoblin II x5

1 Like

Um, just bookmark a wreck in each room of the mission site and use a dedicated salvage/loot ship after mission is completed.

Or…

Carry some Salvage drones and turn them loose while you cherry-pick through the loot before going to the next room.

Or…

Ignore the wrecks altogether and look into blitzing the missions for more LP/ISK reward per hr.

I guess he will get there eventually.

Instead of doing that, fit a Damage Control to increase resistance stats.

Personally I don’t use a MWD on PvE fits, it makes the ship signature very large which allows NPC’s to hit much more easily, plus it has higher fitting requirements and consumes a lot more Capacitor than Afterburners.

1 Like

on passive shield fits, the DC is always the worst module to use.

It’s not the worst mod to use, especially when the ship fit is already short on Cap / not stable. It’s a passive module that increases Resistance stats and doesn’t consume Cap

1 Like

Passive PvE shield tanks are almost invariably better with another Power Diagnostic System or Shield Power Relay instead of the DCU. Heck even the PvP bait Nereus fit goes full Shield Power Relays with a couple Nos in the highs.

Point being those low slots compound on one another for just how much passive EHP recovery you have for a passive shield tank. If for whatever reason you need another outside source of energy to keep stuff activated under certain situations Nos and Cap charges are your friend.

resist buffer rep length total ehp/s mult
DC 12.5 1.14285714285714
power relay -25 1.33333333333333
flux coil -15 -30 1.21428571428571
power diag 5 -8.5 1.14754098360656

if you want to tank things on the passive shield, then the DC is the worst of those modules.

if you want more pwr or more cap, the power diag is better.
if you are fine with both but can’t afford to lose cap, the flux coil is better.
if you can afford to lose cap, a power relay is wayy better.

Also all those modules consume ±50% less CPU than the DC.

NEVER fit a DC on a passive shield tanked fit.

The fit is actually a Buffer Tank with the 2x Large Shield Extender II’s, only thing really making it a Passive Tank are the Rigs.

Anyway, my suggestion to add the Damage Control mod was because the OP mentioned swapping out one of the shield extenders for another Invul Field mod (to increase resistance) but didn’t like having the Cap reduced to 2:50 minutes.

Also nobody said anything about CPU usage and if you’re really worried about that, then replace the MWD for AB.