To those confused here with the linux/windows launcher differences…
The linux native launcher is a native linux program, but ONLY the launcher. What the linux launcher does is pull in a specific version of wine that the developers apparently greenlight, but this version of wine is extremely old, and I’m not sure if current versions of dxvk or gallium-nine work with it; this is why some report performance differences switching to the linux native launcher, it’s because it’s pulling in an OLD version of wine to run the eve client.
The bug specifically effects the LAUNCHER not the eve client that the launcher starts, so the linux native launcher is not affected by this bug. The eve client itself is NOT native; it’s being run inside of a specific wine version that the linux launcher chooses.
What this bug effects is running the WINDOWS launcher directly with wine, which many people choose to do for performance reasons. When you start the WINDOWS launcher with a modern version of wine, it also uses the same modern wine to launch the eve client.
I’ve heard it’s possible to switch the version of wine that the native linux launcher uses, but I have not tested this as I can’t get it to run at all in gentoo, though that doesn’t mean it’s impossible it’s just a lack of effort.’
Edit: The reason this thread is so large is because running the launcher with wine instead of using the linux native launcher seems to be a lot more popular. I imagine that is because the linux launcher is not very well maintained and does not work out of the box on nearly ANY system. As far as my tries go it seems to be looking for old versions of library dependencies, you might have the right QT libraries installed, but because the native launcher is so far out of date and unmaintained it fails anyway because your libraries are too new.
This was just my appraisal of the situation the last time I tried, I gave up quickly because running the windows launcher directly with wine in addition to giving better performance, is simply easier; or it was until this bug anyway. It just worked. No games needed to be played.
Edit2: I don’t want to crap too much on the linux native launcher here, I appreciate the devs effort on it, any effort towards linux native is good, but considering the lack of maintenance on it, and how difficult it seems to get running on any distribution , I think that effort is misplaced. The devs time would be better spent towards simply ensuring the launcher and the client run in modern versions of wine; which aside from this bug, they already do.
If anyone bothered to test this with wine before releasing the launcher to the wild in the update, it would have been immediately caught; and debugging it I imagine would have been easier than writing an entire native linux launcher, just to have it pull in an ancient version of wine to run the actual client. They are already ensuring the client runs in wine, and in an ancient version at that, via that linux native launcher. Not to mention the linux community here pretty much works for free debugging it anyway, we seemed to have nailed the exact problem in less than 24 hours.