Level 4 Mining Mission Summary

Not sure if it helpful, but all Ice&Ore missions, except “Mother Lode” can be done in Orca in fairly afk manner.

1 Like

eve in porpoise.
The orca can fit a 500mn to get to ore faster.

I did mother lode from afar and my drones took very little damage.

Will try it, thank you.

Update: “Mother Lode” mined by Orca drones without any singificant damage taken, never lost more than half of mining drone II shields.

2 Likes

I tend to just stick to level 1-3 O.R.E missions in null. Which can all be done in a endurance.
Fast align and hard to catch.

Lvl 4 mining missions…Zzzzz.

My current High Sec mining mission fleet and the missions I use them for are listed below.

L4 Gas Venture
• Gas Injections
• Like Drones to a Cloud

L4 Ice Retriever (w/Medium Ice Harvester Accelerator I)
• Cheap Chills
• Ice Installation

L4 Ore Retriever
• Not Gneiss at All

L4 Ore Porpoise
• Arisite Envy
• Feeding the Giant
• Geodite and Gemology

As a general rule I will regularly decline the ‘Mother Lode’ mission and on the off chance I get it twice in a row I will just go do something else while waiting out the cool down on the penalty for declining a mission twice in four hours.

Thank you for your guide Shriven

I’m trying to optimize my setup and i’m wondering if you are running missions solo, or if you are using multiple characters.

I also have a couple of questions with regards to your posts.

1. You recommend “Hulk or Porpoise” for the Bulkier missions, but why the Hulk? Are you jetcanning because otherwise it seems to me like it would be the worst option when considering Ore Hold.

2. In your Pyfa comparison between Porpoise and Retriever, the retriever wins - barely - but in that calculation you have the Retriever using Mining Drones too. But with the limited Drone Bay on the retriever, wouldn’t you keep combat drones for the rats?

Thanks again!

2 Likes

Hey @Freya_Aele,
Glad to hear the guide is useful for you.

I do my mining solo, you could definitely scale the operation but I think you’d want each toon to be running their own mission - not sure how effective it would be to have multiple toons mining the same mission?

Re: 1. - Before I was pointed in the direction of the Porpoise I was using a Hulk and jetcanning. Would pick up the ore after with a hauler.

Re: 2. - For that Pyfa comparison I wanted to look at maximum possible yield for the Retreiver vs. the Porpoise. I normally do these missions pretty afk so you’re bang on, I have combat drones in my Retreiver and have them launched when I’m running mission in it.

1 Like

I tested and going with a porpoise+procurer was better than going with two retrievers.
Then I used a mwd orca, put a covetor inside and let my alt “push” my orca in a mwd fit cruiser, it was way better than the porpoise waiting for the covetor to slowboat (they can’t put a 50mn unless you bring a mobile depot)

for gas, an orca gives +67% yield, so 1orca+1venture is 1.67 ventures (worse than two ventures), but one orca + 2 ventures is 3.34 ventures. If you are 3+ toons bring in an orca.

I think the best fit is 1 orca + 2 hulks. The orca allow the hulks to refit out of mwd on arrival. One combo for ice, one combo for ore, one combo for gas (replace hulks with ventures). Once the orca lands, the two cruisers bump it towards the target, on arrival they switch to hulk/venture inside, start mining, when done they put the ore/gas in the orca hold and switch back to mwd cruisers, dock up.

Otherwise, you can have your hulk warp in, get boosted on mining turret range by the orca, thus you only need to get to 35 km I think to mine, which you already are. However when rats spawn this becomes dangerous. and you are too far from the orca to put the ore in the hold.

1 Like

Mining mission guide for AFK play? This sounds like a mission for CODE enforcement!

they can’t. the warpin is 30 km off the target. a cormorant with 150mm would deal only 350 DPS.
cata would go 400 DPs but no range.

so basically the dedspace prevents camps.

Thanks! That’s what i figured.

So a bonus question:

I’ve done pretty much the setup you’re doing, and am preeetty well skilled into the ships, BUT! I really struggle seeing any kind of real money being made on this. An example:

Running: “Arisite Envy” in my Porpoise (Mining Drone II’s and the fit you linked with all skills maxed except specialization which i only have at III), and it took me just about 1 hour to mine the Green Arisite needed to complete the mission.

Now, i realize i am missing out on 4% with the lack of skills (working on that), but there’s still a loooong way from 1 mission/hour to 2-3 mission/hour.

What am i doing wrong? I’m still not convinced this mission running is in any way profitable over say normal mining which combined with industry could yield a lot more.

You’re talking about a multi-billion ISK setup which required active play with multiple skilled characters and a return rate of literally several years. I don’t think it’s in any way a viable option.

I’m talking about what I did.
I happen to casually have two orcas, 10/20 bpos for barges/venture as well as all the modules, correct invention skill, so I thought about how to do this the most efficient way possible and I gave it a shot.
the time to return over investment is very simple : total_isk / iskph.

Now this is much safer than mining in a belt, especially when you go in systems nobody goes by. so your total_isk is constant, while eg moon mining or belt mining you need to pay ships again after a gank of pay fuel for moon.

Wery good and informative thread but lots of good info is lost in mess, can anyone make Tl:Dr ???

I just did Mother Lode in my Porpoise. My Mining Drone IIs did not take any considerable damage if at all*. In other words, it’s safe.

Two things help:

1. Have maximum drone support skills and a OTE in the low slot my drone have an 6875m optimal.
  2. I positioned the Porpoise at least 6,5km off any asteroid. When the explosion happens about two seconds after the drones return to stash the ore in my ship’s hold all drones are out of range.

* I witness only one drone which lost about 5% of it’s shield.

1 Like

@Felicitas_Minbar brilliant to hear!

Just did another Mother Lode without any problems.

1 Like

My current High Sec mining mission fleet and the missions I use them for are listed below.

L4 Gas Venture
• Gas Injections
• Like Drones to a Cloud

• Cheap Chills
• Ice Installation

L4 Ore Retriever
• Not Gneiss at All

L4 Ore Porpoise
• Arisite Envy
• Feeding the Giant
• Geodite and Gemology

As a general rule I will regularly decline the ‘Mother Lode’ mission and on the off chance I get it twice in a row I will just go do something else while waiting out the cool down on the penalty for declining a mission twice in four hours.

L4 Gas Venture
• Gas Injections
• Like Drones to a Cloud

• Cheap Chills
• Ice Installation

L4 Ore Retriever
• Not Gneiss at All

L4 Ore Porpoise
• Arisite Envy
• Feeding the Giant
• Geodite and Gemology