Level 4 Rattlesnake training and fits

So I’ve set up alt in Gila to run level 3 security missions and started pumping up shield and drone skills, along with core skills like fitting and navigation. Long term I’m thinking a Rattlesnake running level 4s would be a good objective.

My current plan to get the core drone skills to 3-4 and use faction sentries as my main weapons and a passive tech 2 shield tank. My logic being that faction sentries will make the 28 day train for sentry drones level 5 less essential and a passive tank as it will give me a nice buffer to realise if I’m over my head. My missile skills will be a lower priority, through I plan to use meta 4 cruise missiles to keep distance.

Now I’m assuming I’m not the first person whose had a plan like the this. So I was wondering if anyone has any advice and tips, especially in regards to pitfalls and priority trains to bring the ship up to worth?

I say the Active tank is a better choice as you free up so many slots and you can easy run a 4 slot active tank and use all other slots for damage. A passive tank will work but it lowers the damage output to a point that i did not think it was worth it since now drones pull argo you can not go afk and leave the drones to do everything.

Its a fairly basic fit but with level 4 skills you should pop around 700+ dps on the Gades and around 900+ on the Orges.

[Rattlesnake]
Drone Damage Amplifier
Drone Damage Amplifier
Drone Damage Amplifier
Drone Damage Amplifier
Omnidirectional Tracking Enhancer
Omnidirectional Tracking Enhancer

X-Large Shield Booster
Multispectrum Shield Hardener II
Multispectrum Shield Hardener II Or Shield Boost Amp
EM Shield Hardener
500MN Microwarpdrive
Omnidirectional Tracking Link
Sentient Drone Navigation Computer

Pithi C-Type Small Remote Shield Booster
Drone Link Augmentor II
Drone Link Augmentor II
Drone Link Augmentor II

Large Sentry Damage Augmentor I
Large Core Defense Capacitor Safeguard II
Large Thermal Shield Reinforcer II

Hobgoblin II x5
Gecko x1
‘Augmented’ Ogre x2
Garde II x2

Tracking Speed Script x1

Reposted the fit to be its easier to read.

You can use Missiles as well if you want but i was happy enough with just letting the Gades murder eveything and then pop the Orges or Lights out if anything was to close to track. The Gecko is only for when you know argo is going to bounce around a lot as it has the HP to take a lot of hits but all most never need it. Its not the best fit but it can do every level 4 mission fairly easy just need to be watch out for enemys with Neut/Nos.

1 Like

How do you deal with the heavy cap need of this fit?

The ship deals enough dps that for the most part i only need to boost the shield rep now and then for the most part. The remote shield booster is only used when the gades take argo so that is not been used much over all. I use a Core X MWD to help with the cap but i only listed a basic in the fit as its around 400m so did not know if you would wish to spend that much.

I all so have HG crystals so along with the Amp i recover a lot of shields per cycle. The ship will work with out all that but you need to be keep an eye on the cap and deal with the most damaging enemys first as long as you do not leave the XL or MWD on to long you will be fine.

If needed you can remove the Gecko and pop some Wardens in and use the MWD to pull range then snipe at longer range then change to the Gades as they close in if needed. You could all so go with a MJD and use that to jump 100k and use the Wardens to gun down eveything then MDJ back in for gate’s and such.

I liked a passive Rattlesnake, but mission style was pretty laid back:

[Rattlesnake, current]

Caldari Navy Shield Power Relay
Ballistic Control System II
Drone Damage Amplifier II

Large Micro Jump Drive
Sensor Booster II
Dread Guristas Multispectrum Shield Hardener
Dread Guristas Multispectrum Shield Hardener
Republic Fleet Large Shield Extender
Republic Fleet Large Shield Extender
Gistum C-Type EM Shield Amplifier

Cruise Missile Launcher II, Scourge Cruise Missile
Drone Link Augmentor II
Drone Link Augmentor II

Large Core Defense Field Purger II

Garde II x2
Warden II x2

…Doubtless there were light combat and salvage drones also.
If you salvage as you go, you can balance your dps against salvage speed, as all the dps in the world doesn’t save you time if you have to hang around salvaging/fetching a noctis/etc.
If you just kill and go though…

I remember that 700 dps with 400+ reps, seemed about right with mobile tractor out and two salvage rigs in place of drone links in high. In the end it was faster than killing everything and then bringing in a dedicated salvage boat. Usually had an afterburner in k-space, and a mjd in dead-space; rationale was in dead-space could jump 100km, drop the tractor and get to work, and anybody crashing mission area was a long ways off on arrival leaving plenty of time to fetch the tractor. In k-space that consideration was moot so went for the ab mobility.

I tried what I’ve seen described as a ‘brawling’ fit for awhile but dropped it for a Macherial which did almost as well for less, and was more fun while doing it. Good dps and stable reps over 900 if I remember right:

[Rattlesnake, Cap Stable Active Tank]

Capacitor Flux Coil II
Capacitor Flux Coil II
Capacitor Flux Coil II

Gist X-Type Shield Boost Amplifier
Pith X-Type X-Large Shield Booster
Gist X-Type 100MN Afterburner
Cap Recharger II
Cap Recharger II

Rapid Heavy Missile Launcher II, Caldari Navy Inferno Heavy Missile
Small Tractor Beam I

Large Capacitor Control Circuit II
Large Capacitor Control Circuit I
Large Capacitor Control Circuit I

Federation Navy Hobgoblin x5
Gecko x1
Hornet EC-300 x5
Salvage Drone I x5

I never tried what ‘Twin Blade’ describes, and dropped the missiles, though kind of want to now as it’s how I roughly set up the Dominix that paid for my Rattlesnake. The fit makes a lot of sense. Btw, it’s an easy move into a Golem from the Rattlesnake. Paladin is more fun on about all but Angel types for me (it will do them though, just takes longer), and in the end settled on those two.

Good luck

3 Likes

When I used a Rattlesnake for L4 missions it was a long range sniper fit. Both missiles and sentry drones can hit over 100Km. When the rats get close, scoop your drones and jump away from them. My current fit is T2 but I started with Caldari Navy Wardens and Arbalest launchers - they work nearly as well. Tank is about 130K EHP with 100 EHP regen. Missiles and drones each do about 500 dps for 1000 total. Get all your skills to at least level 4. You’ll need to practice using the MJD to move around the grid - I think my initial fit was dual prop but the MJD is faster than an AB once you get the hang of it.

[Rattlesnake, Rattlesnake fit]

Damage Control II
Missile Guidance Enhancer II

Large Micro Jump Drive
Large Shield Extender II
Large Shield Extender II
Omnidirectional Tracking Link II, Optimal Range Script
Omnidirectional Tracking Link II, Optimal Range Script
Sensor Booster II, Targeting Range Script

Cruise Missile Launcher II, Inferno Fury Cruise Missile
Drone Link Augmentor II
Drone Link Augmentor II

Large EM Shield Reinforcer II

Warden II x2

Good luck

2 Likes

Looks a perfect plan Do Little :grin:

How this look like for a early planed version?

[Rattlesnake, Easy Sniper Rattlesnake]
Missile Guidance Enhancer II
Damage Control II

Large Micro Jump Drive
‘Posse’ Multispectrum Shield Hardener
Large Shield Extender II
Large Shield Extender II
Federation Navy Omnidirectional Tracking Link (Optimal Range Script )
Federation Navy Omnidirectional Tracking Link (Optimal Range Script )
Federation Navy Sensor Booster (Targeting Range Script)

‘Arbalest’ Cruise Launcher I (Caldari Navy Scourge Cruise Missile)
Drone Link Augmentor I
Drone Link Augmentor I

Large EM Shield Reinforcer I

Republic Fleet Warrior x5
Republic Fleet Valkyrie x5
Republic Fleet Berserker x2
Caldari Navy Warden x2

I don’t think you need the “bling”. Use “compact” mods if the T2 won’t fit. You’re unlikely to notice the difference in performance - the ship is overkill for L4 missions and you’ll attract a lot less attention from gankers! Use Pyfa to confirm that your range for both missiles and sentry drones is over 100Km.

I based my fit on this blog post: http://nevillesmit.com/blog/2014/6/8/revisiting-the-rattlesnake-lmjd-pve

The “Phased Weapon Navigation Array Generation Extron” is now called “Phased Scoped Target Painter” - CCP has decided to stop confusing new (and sometimes not so new) players with obscure names!

Neville offers separate fits emphasizing missiles or drones - I chose to balance my fit between them - it works but I suspect a focused fit might work better.

Always carry a squad of light drones to clear tackle if you make a mistake and let rats get too close. They burn straight toward you so the Wardens will 1-shot anything smaller than a cruiser until they get close enough to orbit and transversal becomes an issue. I used to recover my drones and jump at roughly 40Km.

PWNAGE will be missed.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.