Local - An interesting compromise?

Let us leave this one in the old, “agree to disagree” category since we both seem entrenched in our beliefs.

Cheers,

JA

1 Like

Do you propose a roaming gang anchors a structure? Or do you suggest homeowners have to anchor the structure to get local, and the roaming gang would then destroy it to wipe local? The problem of both options is that gang is first known in local when it jumps in to anchor/destroy the structure - but nearly all advantage is gone by then. OP’s hacking suggestion doesn’t have this issue.

Would be a huge buff to afk cloaking, I almost want that just for the rage and tears in the forums that would result from people not paying attention and not realizing that an afk cloaker killed their local while they were asleep, then dropped on them with impunity.

I can see it now!

Definitely not in the spirit of my idea though. The idea, as you correctly say, is to give roaming gangs a very brief shotgun window to punch in and catch the whales.

Something else that I think this could be extended to is Recons. They’re under-represented imo (purely imo). Having an inherent local delay of 15 seconds baked into the hull (I mean… it’s basically in the name!). Imagine a wing of combat recons, dscan immune, not even showing up in local for the first 15 seconds. That would be a massive buff. Given their utility and lack of dps (sans rook, which has good tank and spank), this feels like it fits their modus operandi perfectly.

Again though, limited to sovnull.

no, that would take too much time. (to anchor)

yes, the same as the flex structures.

Not quite, first; sov attack and citadel clearance take time; as in real life communications and intel are vital to any operation. These are often the first to be attacked and whilst they may be seen attacking it in a small comp… a small force could come in to attack it and the larger force wouldnt be seen, it would also likely only be a precursor to an invasion, maybe a feint… maybe just trolling.
But the main point is that any sovsec systems that dont have the right adm and administration become more lawless, more mysterious; more like no mans land and less like a big buffer where people just have a cloaky alt ten jumps up the pipe providing pings via various apps letting people simply by seeing what is in local chat channel.
In other words, its not all about the attack but also about creating a dynamic for border clashes that are blueballed from 10 jumps away.

true, but i dont feel it offers nearly as much strategical implications - though i am open to hacking and entosis modules doing more ingame.

Also FOB rats are known to attack structures so this could add to that whole scenario forcing sov holders to actually clear fob’s etc.

Anyways…

When playing chess your moves should not belie your intent

In literally any kind of sov campaign (even the trolling ones we do sometimes), the attackers won’t even be talking in Eve save for linking destinations and memes in fleet chat. They’ll be communicating out-of-band via discord/mumble/ts. I do agree that impacting communication would have broad sweeping strategic effects, but you literally cannot attack that (legally at least haha).

Any form of border clash is far larger in scope, and there is no rapid way to do that. This idea is all about offering a different risk reward meta to the attackers.

They can shotgun, they can go fast (really fast), but if the defenders know they’re around through active intel (eyes on the gate for example) it would be VERY easy for residents to camp a gate and then the attackers are going to be in really hot water because they can’t scout ahead without negating the hacking advantage they’re looking for.

For strategic implications, I feel like a lot more could be done with a blops vanguard. Specifically what, I don’t know… but blops is all about getting behind the line and wreaking havoc (it’s right there in their description), so giving them some nifty strategic utility in a sov campaign would feel like a much better fit relative to the topic at hand.

roaming through multiple systems in deklien and geminate with similar named toons in many systems has me thinking if there was no local chat it would help to resolve the safety of sov null and put it back to where its really supposed to be; but you would need scope to be able to turn on the local chat.
Similarly the amount of athanors and anomalies make it incredibly hard to catch anyone who isnt sleeping and also stifle content by making it so theres no real need to move out of even one system.
Whilst id like to see a way to mess with all this that doesnt just involve bringing a massive fleet to blow ■■■■ up im not sure hacking a gate in a previous system will really resolve anything other than simply giving them more time to dock up?

I do miss only having to dscan several belts and anomalies; i also really miss being able to warp my sabre to the station…

Its… hard work and many wont come out because why bother when they can just wait it out?

Yesterday a cane scrammed my retribution on the gate, he had with him (not on gate but at a pos i think - we know they were together anyway…) cane (x2) tengu stratios
he scrammed my retri and i just continued to orbit the gate while my gang came back… and as my guys landed on the other side (a retribution, orthrus and on its way a malediction) the cane warped off…

So in nullsec apparently 2 retribution, ceptor and orthrus is far too much for 2 canes, a tengu and a stratios…

3 frigates and a cruiser vs 2 battlecruisers and 2 cruisers…
and they ran off before we even got to it…

im liek O_o

but apparently nerfing combat ceptors nulli ability makes null more dangerous…

/me moan moan grumble eve is dying mumble grumble

if they made entosising easier for blops in some form you could have whole market garden type ops… though you could do this right now i guess…

Now see… that is active intel, unless we’re talking about botting. Those eyes have a person behind them, actively reporting you. That’s the kind of intel that is earned, and thus, I feel it’s fine exactly where it is.

Otoh, you’ve got local… the moment you enter, you’re visible. There are a great many systems where cloaky eyes do not exist… I see them all the time. Lacking local, now you have that advantage.

With regards to finding people, I do 100% encourage the hacker to also carry probes. Scan down the target, fleet warp (they can exempt themselves) and now the gang of whatevers will land right on target.

Assuming you were trolling, yes. Blops would work great. But if the original sov holders (defenders) were to contest, blops would get pushed off grid quickly. About the best you really could do is covert bridge 500mn rapiers across the contested space to hit nodes. Which isn’t nothing, but again, it’s easily mitigated with even a rudimentary conventional fleet.

No offence chap but have you been roaming in someone elses sov lately? VNI’s dock up faster than even hyperspatial ceptors can get to them… if their even still out there.

Also i agree local still needs its place, which is fine for systems that are used; i would like to see it gone from systems that are not in use - no reason for it to be there anyway right?

Right, because they’ve got intel. In most cases, that’s local.

If system upgrades were needed for local, you’d just see systems upgraded. That said, remember, local is intended to be for chat and not for intel; removing it solely for intel reasons won’t fly - something CCP has said time and again. They agree the intel is bad the way it is, but they also don’t want to outright remove it. How else would we meme the locals?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.