Maelstrom lvl 4 Advice

Edit: I have to edit, because I am an idiot… I have a maelstrom in the hangar, not a tempest… facepalm I have corrected the post, sorry for the inconvenience.

Hi there,

I come from a longer (think 2+ years) hiatus and am just relearning the ropes. I took my Cane for a spin for some lvl 3 missions, till I was comfortable agin with tanking, enemies and damage types. I had way more armor tanked ships in my live then shield tanks, but I should be able to do both. Now my question:

I want to try my hands in lvl 4 missions again. For that I have fitted battleships in my hangar from before my time-out. I guess the fitting is horribly outdated so I experimented in Pyfa for Megathron and Maelstrom fittings. Can you give me advice if the following would work in lvl 4 agent work?

[Maelstrom, Maelstrom fit]

Gyrostabilizer II
Gyrostabilizer II
Damage Control II
Power Diagnostic System II

100MN Afterburner II
Large Shield Booster II
EM Shield Hardener II
EM Shield Hardener II
Thermal Shield Hardener II
Kinetic Shield Hardener II

1400mm Howitzer Artillery II

I do not have any rigs to this moment (though skills are trained), would need to buy them if really needed. Would this work or is this ■■■■■■■■ as a build (if yes, please tell me why)? The shield resists would be mainly fitted according to the mission.

regarding the megathron:
I am almost willing to just sell my old Megathron. The old fit and my mission playstyle revolved around blasters and maintaining the cap via nosferatus (it was fun) but I am on the fence about such situational tools. I think I could fit a better Typhoon, without the need to suck someone dry. :slight_smile: Or can you give me a good example of a lvl 4 capable Megathron?

Kind regards!

I just looked at your fit and fixed a few things.

fit

[Maelstrom, *Maelstrom fit]
Gyrostabilizer II
Gyrostabilizer II
Gyrostabilizer II
Damage Control II

100MN Y-S8 Compact Afterburner
X-Large C5-L Compact Shield Booster
Republic Fleet Large Cap Battery
Multispectrum Shield Hardener II
Thermal Shield Hardener II
‘Copasetic’ Particle Field Acceleration

Republic Fleet EMP L x160

I’m pretty sure you can have something good wrt XLSB w/ mutations. However as always the price rises.

Ah I see, thank you. Will try it out.

also you can use ‘locomotive’ XLSB which is very cheap. It’s worse than a compact though, but at the same time less on the fitting room so you can use a T2 SBA.

Of course replace the TH SH by an hardener for the rats you are fighting.
FYI I have 670 DPS@30+34 km with this fit, plus room for 4 sentries.

I would drop to the 1200’s you can still 1 shot most ships and do not need to wait as long to fire again allowing quicker missions.

Anderson Getens fit will work fine as well or you can use it and just drop down to 1200’s and add another Gyro.

yeah, dropping the arto down would also allow to have more fitting room, so more tank/gank. However, I feel like 3 gyros is already enough. Maybe tracking enhancer instead ?

I have recently come back as well. Like you I had a maelstrom in my hanger and no idea about how to fit it nowadays. I experimented a bit and I have found autocannon fit maelstrom does most missions very well. I played around with artillery but disliked the rate of fire and the tracking against smaller ships (I found some missions ships started out at close range and were very hard to hit and had to rely on drones to kill). One of my friends who plays has since told me there is a microjump drive you can use to alleviate this but not tried it out personally (I think it uses a lot of cap to activate - not sure).

At any rate with autocannon I can deal high damage out to about 50km which is fine for most missions and you absolutely shred the smaller ships - in a lot of missions with cruiser sized enemies I kill them faster than I can lock targets its very satisfying.

The downside with my fit is you can’t permanently run the shield booster it relies on killing enemies fast to make the incomming damage manageable and you turn the booster on and off as needed. I started out just using large booster as it gives you more capacitor time but on missions with large number of enemies spawning at once. I use X-large it will last for less time then a Large would but will give you a higher burst of healing.

I just fit for max damage in low slots and like to use tracking computer in medium:
3x Gyro
2x Tracking Enhancer

Mid slot:
Large Shield Booster (or X-Large)
Shield Boost Amplifier
2 x Active Hardeners (Change depending on mission type)
1 x 100mn Afterburner
1 x Tracking computer (or sensor booster)

8x800 mm II

For rigs I use shield Res rigs (I think 2 EM and one Thermal)

I use short range ammo (EMP, Phased Plasma or Fusion) potentially worth carrying barrage as there are a few missions in which NPC’s are more than 60 km away from you which you’d need barrage’s fall off range bonus to hit. Personally I just waste a few seconds closing range using the AB rather than switch ammo but something to think about.

If you’re going artillery you can make use of a Micro jump drive, those didn’t exist at one point.

Jump drive + a good MWD to burn back to gates, you don’t need anywhere near as much tank that way, good cheap way to get back into things, not necessarily the most efficient way to run lvl 4s tho. Otherwise I’d go the XL Shield booster route, dont bother trying to be cap stable, 3-4 minutes will be ample, fit a cap booster if you’re paranoid.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.