Measures of success in EVE

All of them???

Granted, the killboard is a means to measure one’s success. But it is not the only one. Yes, it is a PVP game, yada yada yada. Thing is tho you do not HAVE to go full explo to succeed in game. One measure of success can be the days NOT being exploded for instance. Or how many CODE agents pissed off per day. Or whatever.

The opportunities are boundless. And Pix is right about almost everything he said. the only thing i would disagree on is that PVE is for nothing. You can make friends, interact with ppl and make an impact on them while you grind. Depends on you. Ok, if all else fails you can always compare the size of your epeen, but that gets boring after a while. each one their own.

But i would measure my success in EVE if when i log off i can say i had fun playing. It don’t matter if i killed 100 rocks or 100 ventures or scammed 100 players in jita. As long as its fun i’m taking the satisfaction of a job well done.

Cos in the long run you will not remeber that “epic” battle against X number of players in titans. You will remeber the fun you had playing. “Eve, yeah, that game was fun, back in the days. We used to go out and create our own stories, not like those spoiled brats you have today.”

I for one have set myself a long term goal. This i want to reach. And i consider myself successfull if after logout i feel i got a step closer to reaching that goal. Even if its just a quantum leap, but its a step forward. And once i reached my goal i will set myself another. And again. And again.

While alts can skew the figures a killboard is a metric that can be used to measure a certain kind of success, in fact it measures two obvious kinds of success.

One of them is that someone has clocked up loads of kills, the other is that someone has managed to avoid the attentions of people that like to clock up kills.

For example my own KB is pathetic in terms of how successful I am at killing other players (zero for those interested), on the other hand I haven’t been killed by another player since 2011; despite regularly twitting the PvP players that prey on the likes of me.

I’d call that somewhat of a success.

11 Likes

K.

Not really what I was getting at but whatevs.

Generally, I feel successful if I did something that I felt contributed positively to the game.

Oddly, the best feelings of ‘success’ I’ve had lately came from helping somebody new out in chat or private.

Most of the time I don’t even click the thumb-up or thumb-down for the session, because my experience was neither good or bad… it was just logging in to complete something or update skill queue, and log off.

2 Likes
1 Like

I am successful if I take the fight.

Doesnt matter if I win, just taking the fight is the important part.

7 Likes

My list is very different. It goes something like this:
I fail at eve because my ship exploded
I fail at eve because everyone has more isk
I fail at eve because I don’t have enough minerals to build (insert ship, module, ammo)
I fail at eve because the venture I was trying to kill got away
I fail at because another gate camp (see above)
I fail at eve because I forgot the . and broker fees (see above)
I fail at eve because I am stupid

1 Like

Success in the sandbox is to reach a goal you have set for yourself.

Your goals, your success.
I think there are some nice answers in the replies to this tweet:

1 Like

give hope to various losers that they somehow will be able to catch up.

That would be closer to reality.

This is a good thread and I have a lot to say. Will post something tomorrow.

2 Likes

Sadly I find myself doing this more often than not, despite all of the new stuff and game changes CCP is throwing into the game.

As for this thread - Measures of success in EVE
I am successful if:

I enjoy the experience of my gameplay session.
I see and converse with old friends who log in during my gameplay session.
I help someone in-game accomplish something during my gameplay session.
I complete whatever task I have chosen to do during my gameplay session.

Doesn’t matter if the set goal is small or large, short or long term, all that matters is enjoying the journey to accomplish those goals.

4 Likes

Any time I can get back to station without losing my ship. Everything else is fluff.

2 Likes

Done most of that. There is no challenge in it, it’s about as challenging as following a recipe and baking a cake. The unpredictability of other players is what makes this game challenging and fun, and so pvp (including market pvp for those so inclined) is the only measure of succes worth talking about.

And that includes the challenge of running PVE sites while people are hunting you, and succesfully evading them.

3 Likes

I could be mistaken, but what makes the game fun to someone is…what makes the game fun to someone? This isn’t the sort of question that has an objectively correct answer. In my limited experience, I think the EvE community at large is pretty great. But the whole PvP vs PvE thing is already getting old and I’ve only been playing a month.

PvE people–you’ll get blown up occasionally. Play in a way that mitigates that. PvP people–there’s PvE in the game for a reason, and some people prefer that “safer” style of gameplay. There’s literally no reason that should bother you.

Fly safe/happy hunting everyone. Jeez.

2 Likes

Gotta call bullshite on this as well as the rest of your reply. Just because you don’t enjoy PvE content doesn’t mean everyone else feels the same.

I have Industrial friends in-game who are trillion-airs just from pursuing a Trade career. As an Explorer I have close to 100 bill ISK worth of Faction & Deadspace equipment just sitting in assets gathering dust.

When I first started playing this game in June 2008, players had to decide which NPC Alliance side they wanted to align with, Amarr & Caldari or Gallente & Minmatar. After seeing my standings get to the point of being cut off from accessing half of high sec space, I spent 3 months researching all the obscure barely documented mostly unknown ways to gain Faction standing and eventually created the ‘Faction Standing Repair Plan’ which I then released to the community in the beginning of 2010.

Needless to say it was very well received by the community and made a great impact on the standings aspect of this game. In fact it’s still viable even now and has helped countless amounts of Capsuleers over the years.

So yeah, being successful in Eve isn’t rated by a Killboard stat.

9 Likes

I still has Drake

4 Likes

2 Likes

Eve is a game that takes all kinds of players. People measure success by the ore in their cargo, by seeing the landmarks in null, by blowing other people ships into smithereens… etc. I think the important thing is that you enjoy your hobby, and that’s what games are. Sure some people enjoy making other people miserable, but that’s their hobby, too.

The only activity I can’t respect is people who make the game a job. Everyone has an impact on the game by affecting the people around them, and those of us who make a job out of the game make the game less fun.

2 Likes

My goals in EVE have (once I stopped being a newbie) pretty much always been about supporting the worthy and hurting the lazy & terrible.

Whether it’s about being part of a small but capable PVP entity, helping newer players (ones who put in effort and have more than 3 brain cells) with tutoring, guides and whatnot. Or taking advantage of clowns in whatever way possible.

These day I’m not as active as I used to be for both game mechanic as RL reasons but I’ve done my part, left my mark and met my goals. I try to, if in a much more casual manner, continue to do so.

To me there’s nothing more boring or meaningless than numerical goals like Isk, skill points or similar.

1 Like

Nor is success determined by how much ISK one has.