Merlín Fitting for pve?

Good comrades some know a fitting for the Merlin that can serve for pve?

1 Like

No.
It is useless. No range.

Train for any cruiser class hull, wait few hours for minimum skill requirements to be done and start your journey :sunglasses:

1 Like

For a cruiser you need to skill the medium class weapons, too. Shield and rigs are much more expensive for medium size than the small ones.
I like to go ratting in frigs, I did most of the SoE Arc in a Punisher. So for the first missions, a nicely fit Merlin is quite enough and not too much a loss if disaster strikes.
Reddit suggestion, less than 2 m ISK:

[Merlin, New Setup 3]
Vortex Compact Magnetic Field Stabilizer
Micro Auxiliary Power Core I

Medium Azeotropic Restrained Shield Extender
5MN Cold-Gas Enduring Microwarpdrive
Fleeting Compact Stasis Webifier
Fleeting Compact Stasis Webifier

125mm Prototype Gauss Gun, Antimatter Charge S

Small Ancillary Current Router I
Small Core Defense Field Extender I 

Antimatter Charge S x1000
Iridium Charge S x1000
Iron Charge S x500
Uranium Charge S x500
4 Likes

Fair enough!

Just because you can do the job with some unappropriate tool, it does not mean you should. You lose time. Any destroyer will be better in pve than a merlin. Almost any…

1 Like

Then… Destroyer or battlecruiser, or Cruiser? Im Caldary Pilot and prefer Hybrid Shoots

[Cormorant, PvE sniper]

Magnetic Field Stabilizer II

5MN Quad LiF Restrained Microwarpdrive
Small Shield Extender II
F-90 Compact Sensor Booster, Targeting Range Script

150mm Railgun II, Spike S
[Empty High slot]

Small Ancillary Current Router I
Small Capacitor Control Circuit I
Small Hybrid Collision Accelerator I

Zainou ‘Gypsy’ CPU Management EE-603
Zainou ‘Deadeye’ Trajectory Analysis TA-703
Zainou ‘Gypsy’ Long Range Targeting LT-803

Stay at any range from 0 to 72 km (range tank) and alpha paper thin NPC in L1 (L2 can be done too)

2 Likes

That’s right, a destroyer is even quicker in shooting rats. But not in travelling. So when I have to transfer to another station every third mission and have to mind a Newbie’s budget, I apprectiate the speed and cost of a cheap frig.
But when you already have skilled small hybrid turrets V, you are supposed to have skilled medium and large weapons as well and to have enough money for plugins and gadgets. But yor are still right, it’s nowhere stated it has to be Newbie friendly…
That Cormorant is a tiny bit more expensive than 2m ISK :wink:

1 Like

A Moa is a nice Caldari Railgun/Blaster Cruiser.

1 Like

Thank you for your help I Will try everything LoL

1 Like

Start out with the basics.

Look at the bonus the base hull gives
Fit weapons & modules that match those bonus

Hybrids are used by 2 factions, Gallente & Caldari
Blasters are short ranged but high damage (Gallente standard in Eve Lore)
Railguns are long range but low damage (Caldari standard in Eve Lore)

Frigates can be a lot of fun. And bigger Hulls (like cruiser, BC etc) does not necessarily mean a better option just a more expensive one.
Pirate faction & Tech 2 Hulls are also entertaining options that will only require a small amount of extra skill training. You can run L3 and most L4 missions in an AF.

1 Like

A Railgun/shield fitted Merlin will serve you well for three reasons. It’s cheap, will handle level 1 missions and teach you about range and speed control to reduce the incoming damage from your opponents (two key lessons).
The logical sequence from there is the Cormorant (destroyer) and the Moa (Cruiser). There is a temptation to race for bigger ships, but it’s worth taking the time to build some of the base fitting skills and learning the mechanics. Better fitting skills enable you to fit the better weapons and modules with less compromise and need for PG and CPU modules. Knowing mechanics enables you to tackle more difficult missions in smaller ships.
The other risk in going for an oversized ship is that you’ll get falsely confident of your abilities - which is a good way of getting welped later on in a ship that cost you a significant amount of your earnings. And that can be a little disheartening.
A nice mission frigate costs a few million ISK (hull plus modules), a destroyer maybe 8-10m ISK. A cruiser twice that.

Feel free to reach out to me in game if you need help/pointers.

7 Likes

Newbie asks on the newbie forum for a newbie fit so he can do newbie PVE. Clown reacts with “but it’s not overpowered!” and “it’s not up to standards of my own personal perspective, because I do things that require more than frigates!”. Forgetting that this isn’t about them, but about said newbie and other newbies who read this thread on the newbie forum, who thus get completely nonsense information.

Clown posts a fit that a newbie can’t EVER fit due to PG and skill issues, and is some fit used for a completely different purpose and scenario.

People who can’t use any perspective other than their own.

@OP: normal frigates aren’t too much use for basic PVE because it’s VERY easy to skill in to a destroyer which is much better for most forms of combat PVE, and you get one for free from the career tutorials so don’t invest too much into a pve frigate. Here’s a basic, cheapo (no newbie needs meta 4 on their frig) fit that will work just fine for basic PVE. I would urge you to upgrade to a destroyer ASAP.

[Merlin, Merlin]
Magnetic Field Stabilizer I

Upgraded EM Ward Amplifier I
Adaptive Invulnerability Field I
1MN Y-S8 Compact Afterburner
Medium Shield Extender I

125mm Carbide Railgun I
125mm Carbide Railgun I
125mm Carbide Railgun I

Iridium Charge S x2000
Antimatter Charge S x3000
Iron Charge S x2000

The destroyer that uses the same sort of of skills and play style is the Cormorant, here’s a simple but effective fit. This ship you’ll use a lot more more so it’s slightly less cheapo fit. Still, would you continue to do combat PVE then chances are the next step will be a cruiser, and since those aren’t cheap I’d not splash out too much on the destroyer (all meta 4 guns gets expensive quickly, with so many turrets).

[Cormorant, Cormorant]

Adaptive Invulnerability Field I
1MN Monopropellant Enduring Afterburner
Medium Shield Extender I

125mm ‘Scout’ Accelerator Cannon

Lead Charge S x3000
Antimatter Charge S x3000
Iron Charge S x3000

8 Likes

Scout cannons, my first metas :slight_smile: they do a good job.
To be honest, my first meta stuff was modules I looted, like afterburner or MWDs.

Really good information thank you friend information is ammunition :doughnut:4c637e8905c13aaa9582744e8db4400d

Two webs is that right? I can fit only one, maybe my Skills are not high enougth

I would propose another shield module instead of the second web, perhaps an Upgraded EM Ward Amplifier (passive, cap stable) or a Small Ancillary Shield Booster (active boost, needs much cap).

1 Like

There are good reasons for having two webs. But it’s not vital.

The web slows the target down enabling railguns, which have poor tracking, to get better hits on it. You only really need one web to do enough. But…

The web isn’t an “instant” slowdown, it takes a few seconds - five or so - for the targets speed to drop (much like when you turn off an afterburner - it’s slow to your new maximum speed, not “hit wall”). With a lot of close fast targets then a second web can be used to slow the next target down before you start firing on it.
Efficiency rather than effect.

If you can’t fit it then as has been suggested, replace it with a shield module - you’ll not suffer because of it. I fly my Merlin (when I do!) with a single web and a booster (I’m an Amarrian pilot - I’m used to active repair and habits die hard).
And two webs make target management and switching a lot busier.

1 Like

Excelent information :heart_eyes::doughnut: