Merlin Solo PVP

Hey guys,
I created this fit and don’t know if it’s good or not. It should be for FW Solo PVP. Also, I’m not good at creating fits at all so there’s probably a mistake in the fit. Thanks for any suggestions!

[Merlin, Merlin Solo FW PVP]
Magnetic Field Stabilizer II
Damage Control II

1MN Y-S8 Compact Afterburner
Fleeting Compact Stasis Webifier
Warp Scrambler I
Small Ancillary Shield Booster, Cap Booster 150

Light Neutron Blaster II, Void S

Small Hybrid Burst Aerator I
Small Hybrid Collision Accelerator I

1 Like

Small shield boosters and extenders are (almost) never worth using, try something like this

[Merlin, Merlin]
IFFA Compact Damage Control

1MN Monopropellant Enduring Afterburner
Fleeting Compact Stasis Webifier
Faint Epsilon Scoped Warp Scrambler
Medium Ancillary Shield Booster

Light Ion Blaster II
Light Ion Blaster II
Light Ion Blaster II

Small EM Shield Reinforcer II
Small Hybrid Burst Aerator I
Small Polycarbon Engine Housing I

Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge S x720
Void S x720
Null S x720
Navy Cap Booster 50 x18

3 Likes

That seems much better, thank you!

If you end up having not enough cpu for the ancillary shield booster, fit a medium shield extender, either one will do just fine.

I corrected that for you.

Fact is that since the module balance 2x small shield extenders = 1x medium shield extender ehp wise but with lesser fitting space required. That also goes for armor plates:

2x 200m plate = 400mm plate
2x 400mm plate = 800mm plate
2x800mm plate = 1600mm plate

2x small shield extender = 1x medium shield extender
2x medium shield extender = 1x large shield extender.

Not all the ships will have the slots for those but some do. And if you have an armor boat that wants a 800mm plate but has some fitting issues and the slots available, try fitting 2x 400mm plates instead.

4 Likes

I have enough CPU, the power grid is a bit problematic but it’s OK. Well, I rarely see Small Shield Boosters and Extenders and until now I didn’t know why. Thanks for your clarification!

The fit I use for FW Merlin frigate 1v1s is:
Merlin: “First” FW

3 High:
3x Light Neutron Blaster II, Void S

4 Mid:
1x 1MN Y-S8 Compact Afterburner
1x Republic Fleet Medium Shield Extender
2x Stasis Webifier II

3 Low:
2x Magnetic Field Stabilizer II
1x Vigor Compact Micro Auxiliary Power Core

3 Rig:
1x Small Hybrid Burst Aerator II
1x Small EM Shield Reinforcer I
1x Small Core Defense Field Extender I

Does 360 DPS heated with no implants, Pyrolancea II, and perfect skills. Alphas can get to about 288. Either way, this dude has CRUSHING damage man. With dual webs, this ship, though slow, can pull off range control on most single-web non-MWD frigates. My philosophy with solo PVP in FW is to fly no point fits first. When starting out, you don’t really care about winning, you care about learning. No point basically gives you a one-slot advantage over other ships that is pretty nice as a new player. With this ship especially, your opponent might not have enough tank to warp off in time. Also, there is only 4 buttons :wink:

o7 fly safe, Nujenif Talvenen (PISOR)
(btw first post… how’d i do?)

4 Likes

Forgot to mention: you can change the tank rigs around, or if your fitting skills are just not going the distance, you can downgrade webs for CPU, guns for PG, or rearrange the low slots to add a Damage Control or something based on skills and wallet.

Merlin is a great Fleet ship.. The resistance bonus are good for buffer tanks.  Problem is solo pvp against a incursus will lose brawler vs brawler.  So you need range, merlin has always been a solid rail ship.  So scram kite/buffer tank.  But then you have drones to deal with and rails dont do alot of damage.

Then don’t fight Incursuses?
Even if you do engage them, though, you have range control and can run away from the blaster one and nuke the rail one.

The main thing with that fit is don’t fight other blaster boats, like incursus. Comet you can try for, might be rails, Atron is fine, Merlin you should beat, either by scram kiting with Null or orbiting with Anti. Never try to Void a mirror matchup. Also do not fight things that can range control you, like Firetails and Hookbills. Slicers are basically always MWD so don’t try and fight them. (This is all for my fit that I posted earlier)

Thanks for the fit. Also your philosophy is certainly interesting and I might give it a try because I’ve never won with point anyway lol. (btw. nice surname lmao)

That reminds me that I forgot to share this awesome guide: http://evefrigates.blogspot.com/2014/01/blog-post.html?m=1

Otherwise PVP in Merlin isn’t that bad, it’s a really strong brawler, very good damage and tank but as you said it lacks control because it’s so slow. I haven’t tried rail scram kiting but that’s probably a bad idea, there are much better ships for that. I’m also planning to scram kite in rocket Hookbill and I’ve flown Blaster Cormorant (Destroyer) and it’s really fun but that’s off-topic :slight_smile:.

If you have further questions, you can pop on by to my thread “FW Frigate Hub”

Ye, Hookbills are totally the moo. They are my staple ship.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.