Mining Corp start-up help

Hello fellow Pilots,
A friend and I have been talking and we’ve been mining buddies for a while now, we want to pull together and create an industrial Corp. I have the skills to fly an orca, and my friend is a few days out. What the problem is we don’t know the first thing about running a Corp. I guess I’m asking what goes into it and what’s the best way to start up?

1 Like

This information will get you started: https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Corporations

If it’s just you and a trusted real life friend, the process is very easy.

• Pick a name and logo
  • Create corporation
  • Invite friend to join and make him/her a director
  • Rent an office so you have shared hangars
  • Name a division for each member so you can keep track of your stuff.

If you intend to invite other people to the corporation, it gets a lot more complicated. You need to secure corporate assets against theft and as you grow, you become a more attractive target for predators.

Thanks for the help

A lot of what goes into it depends entirely what your end goal is. If you just want to share a common logo, name, and hangar with a real life friend, what Do Little stated above is all you need. It can be very casual and you’re only real concern is a wardec.

If you want to make a business out of it where you have many members recruited from the general Eve Online population and you are trying to turn a profit for the corporation itself, then things get more complicated and serious. It will definitely be to your benefit to sit down and plan things out before ever accepting members beyond your real life friends.

Regardless of what your long term goals are, here are some recommendations:

• Have an alt in your corporation to use for testing corporate roles
  • Don’t give people more access than they need to do their job within the corporation
  • If you haven’t already, join another mining/industry corp for a couple months. You’ll learn a lot about what works and what doesn’t. And if you take on any leadership roles, just how much work being a leader can be.

Good luck. :slight_smile:

I would also advise not including “mining” in the corp name. Mining corps are constantly wardeced

Is this a partnership? One of you will be CEO, that’s game mechanics.
You should divide up your shares accordingly.

I would be cautious considering a partnership. Always consider the worst case scenario, especially in this game.
Don’t risk your friendship.

Thanks for the help and advice everyone
Fly safe o7

Alternately, if you are interested in joining an Indy corp in Null sec to learn the ins and outs of running a corp and setting up mining fleets for big belt runs you and your buddy are welcome to join us in Null sec for a while. Check out our ad in game for Vow of Vengeance or see our or full detail ad here: bit.ly/VoVInfo Please feel free to reach out to any of my recruiters to have a conversation should you wish to take the opportunity to learn.

Look forward to meeting you,

Nesca

Thanks for the invite. I want to join but account expired waithing on payday as soon as I can get back on I will join

We accept Omega, Alpha and returning players… reach out to us in game when you are ready. :slight_smile:

Oh look, another “industrial corp”.

Here’s a tip:

You will soon be war decced. Don’t take it personally. If you’re in high sec and certain people spot you mining for a while (or running missions for a while for that matter), you get war decced. Or it could be your fellow “industrial corp” friends have hired mercs to get rid of you. Or it could be purely at random.

Nothing makes people leave your corp faster than a war dec. Therefore if you’re running such a corp - have a contingency plan.

How would you respond to a war dec? Do you have any PvP experience? What about your corp members? Can you just pack up and move across New Eden to another location (this is a temporary solution as locator agents can easily be used to find your new location) ? Are your corp members willing to stay docked for a week or so, or move to low/nullsec?

I would HIGHLY recommend you get yourself some PvP experience and also encourage (ie force) your members to get some too. Fortunately nowadays this is easy - you can join any number of public roams/public fleets. While that’s not quite the same as organizing/leading a defense of your space and assets against experienced mercenaries - it’s a start.

From experience most “Industrial corps” dream of having a “PvP wing” or hiring a “PvP corp” to defend them. Not going to happen. The only one who is going to defend your stuff is you.

So this is my free advice to you, Industrial Corp CEO #86145179: Prepare for war, learn to PvP, and refuse to recruit players who will not PvP under any circumstances.

PS: You might look at joining a low/nullsec alliance. It’s paradoxically safer in low/nullsec while at the same time being the absolute most dangerous place in EVE.

Feel free to send me a msg ingame I would love to alliance you and have a mining alliance

Thanks for the advice.

having been in quite a few corps, and seen many industrial corps fail. a few key things that you will need in order to be successful. (I am assuming you are starting out in HS, since if you are jumping straight into low-null then you probably would have a better idea of where to start)

1. good location, counter-intuitively this location should NOT be near any of the trade hubs, they are over-populated and there is too much competition for resources. if you can find a quiet area you will have less competition for ores, which will help to attract miners. if you have easy access to a quiet area in low-sec even better. it will give your miners access to better ores. and will start getting them comfortable operating in more dangerous areas of space, which will facilitate an eventual move to null.
    has the secondary effect of making it MUCH less likely that you will be wardecced to death.

2. logistics, make sure you have a strong logistics chain set up for moving product to market and bringing ships back. if you cannot already fly a freighter, get into one asap. make sure that you have a good stockpile of any ships and modules that your pilots are likely to need (and create shopping lists to pick up items for them when you transport goods to market)

3. ore and mineral buyback. this will require having a decently sized bankroll, but by providing a buyback program it will help attract miners to the more remote and quiet areas. it can also help fund a basic srp program. even if you are not losing mining ships on a regular basis, spend it on cheap frigates and go on some pvp roams, it will help build comraderie more than mining fleets will. (the best friendships are forged in combat), will help break up the monotony of constant mining fleets. and will help build some pvp experience which will make the inevitable wardecs, or move to null easier.

Almost all of them fail! Except 3 R Corporation of course! :stuck_out_tongue:

This is very good advice Bjorn is giving you. Notice the parallel with my advice: PvP. Don’t discount it. EVE is a PvP game and PvP is going to happen to you whether you like it or not. I started off as a miner in 2005. I was intrigued by EVE, especially the manufacturing side of it. I used to strip asteroid belts dry before exhumers even existed and build just about everything.

Then ice happened - oh yeah, I started playing before ice even existed. I fell in love with ice! Ice, ice, beautiful ice! I made so much isk mining ice…

So I know industry a little bit. This is solid advice we’re giving you. You need to learn PvP. It sounds counter-intuitive I know - I didn’t even like PvP. But ganks started happening, and EVE started getting nastier and nastier, and now ganks are going to happen it’s just a matter of time. If you think you can just ignore the PvP aspect of EVE you’re wrong. There is no going back to the old days.

And who knows - you may even get to like it. Oh before you give me the old lecture about how miners are so much better than PvPers because after all PvP is just pressing F1, F2, F3 whereas industry is hard - spare me. I’ve given that lecture myself.

Mining/industry types have:

• No idea how to fit a ship - even a mining ship

• No idea how to even detect a threat situation is about to happen, let alone how to deal with it

• No idea of how easy it is to turn a win into a loss or a loss into a win.

How do I know this? Because I’ve been where you’ve been, but you haven’t been where I’ve been. The mistake almost all industry people make is to assume that PvPers know nothing about industry. On the contrary, most of us came from industry!

I’m not trying to turn you to the dark side - merely letting you know that industry is on one end of the learning curve that is EVE and inevitably, PvP is on the other end. They are not exclusive. And chances are you’re going to end up on the other side anyway. Might as well start down that path today. You have nothing to lose (except a few ships - much better to lose ships you plan on losing than ships you didn’t want to lose because they are the ones you made money with) and a lot to gain. It’s all about growth.

Heck - I’m not the best PvPer. Some would say I’m not even a good PvPer (yeah, this is only one of my alts buddy). But I’m better than you, that’s for sure. Growth :slight_smile:

One of my favorites was always to keep the market in the system I mined well stocked with gank ships and fittings at a hefty (but not extortionist or they would just bring their own in) price.

If they are going to try and gank me. They might as well pay me for the privilige

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.