Mining fighters

The Rorq is an industrial ship, not a carrier. I think 2 squadrons would be enough, with 3 excavators in each. If you need to fight, then you need to replace at least half of your miners this way.

Excavator drone is already classified as fighter drone.

LCARS /thread

Really? Aside from it’s size and cost, I don’t see any similarities. Sure, they are capital drones like fighters were, but as much as I know excavators need just as much active control as normal drones. This makes an afk Rorq way too efficient.
In my opinion capital ships should always require active gameplay, being afk should mean you do literally nothing.

This would make an AFK rorq as effective as an AFK carrier: zero.

I would honestly say one excavator per squadron… there’s no value to be gained by making the squadrons larger than that. Excavators have no pvp utility ergo no squad size balance is needed, only their yield need be balanced.

Instead of looking at the yield per excavator, you’d be looking at the yield per squadron (which in my suggestion they are 1:1).

This probably would work better but it’s weird for 2 reasons:

• 5 squadrons for the Rorq - super capital scale for a capital ship, even if it could only use 1 or 2 actual fighter squadrons for defense
  • a squad by definition has more than one unit in it

If we were talking about fighters, I’d agree with you. But then again, a Rorq presently uses 5 drones - a capital ship with the same capacity as a cruiser. I don’t think that looking purely at the number of controllable units is a good metric for anything.

It need not be called a squadron. I agree that “squadron” is a misnomer, but it need only be called “Excavator”.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.