Mining on the cheap (hauler / venture combo)

Okay, time for some “real talk”.

I’ve mentioned in other threads/posts about how I infiltrate carebear corporations as part of my activities. OP’s advice is exactly like the advice that new players get in those environments. You won’t believe what kind of rubbish I’ve seen get fed to new players. Anything from “stay docked if there are Goons in local” to “make sure to fit a few of each turret size so that you can engage enemies of all sizes.” And the worst part is that this advice comes from players who have been playing for years - the kind of players who have been around for a while, but see running high-sec mining/mission-running corporations as the pinnacle of achievement. Usually, they’re very power-hungry and controlling, but impotent. You know exactly the type of people I’m talking about.

The real reason why this game has such low retention isn’t because of ganking, or wars, or scamming, as the “anti-griefer” camp always claims; it’s because new players get fed a bunch of asinine ■■■■■■■■ from carebear corp executives that completely fucks up their gameplay. They get started off on this path that never leads to any rewards for their efforts, and results in no meaningful progression. So what happens? They get bored, burned out, and disenchanted with the game, which results in them quitting. Permanently quitting, because this isn’t the same thing as “taking a break” after having played for a while. The game leaves a bitter taste in their mouths, and they want nothing to do with it. This is a natural reaction, and one for which I don’t blame them. They started playing a new game, put their trust in people who advertised themselves as “helping new players” and running “newbie-friendly” corporations, and got set up for failure. Meanwhile, the new players I’ve convinced to join PvP “academy” groups, or at the very least major new-player training organizations such as Brave, are flying in fleets and doing anomalies and wormhole sites for income just weeks into the game.

If you want to help new players, steer them away from carebear rubbish. When you see some blowhard teaching newbies to mine in Ventures, call them out on the spot. Wardec them, or gank them, as quickly as possible. Drag them out of their homes, and publicly execute them right in front of their Athanors while the rest watch. Don’t relent until they’re beaten into the ground, and relegate themselves to semi-AFK, solo mining in NPC corporations. You will be doing EVE, and its new players, a massive favor.

7 Likes