Mission Ship Suggestion Request

Recently came back to Eve after a long break and looking to get back into mission running again but so much has changed it seems. I fly Minmatar (all V’s) and Caldari (all IV’s) with full T2 projectile / missile skills. What I am looking for is a mission running ship that can do level 4’s preferably with little management from myself so I can basically warp in, kill everything and not worry about managing my tank and such (if that’s possible these days). I have been looking at the Vargur Maurauder and the Caldari Navy Raven but don’t know which would be more suited.

Also if you have any set-up’s that are reasonably priced that would be appreciated, I don’t mind spending money on a set-up but I am not willing to pimp out a ship to make it a gankers wet dream.

1 Like

Rattlesnake will serve you well

1 Like

Rattlesnake - EVE University Wiki , Guristas is Gallente Caldari .

https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Machariel Machariel , Angel Cartel is Gallente Minmatar .

Mordu’s Legion is Gallente Caldari.

SOE is Gallente Amarr.
Serpentis is Gallente Minmatar .
Blood Raider is Minmatar Amarr.
Sansha is Caldari Amarr.

CONCORD is Gallente Minmatar Caldari Amarr

1 Like

It’s not about the price. I have flown 2+B machs with no issue.
Two things make you a target : you are not moving and you are in a mission hub. Plus of course, you stay in a corp with wardecs on.

Then, the most important factor is the price. What is a correct price for you ?
To me a ship that cost less than 1B is “cheap”. The efficiency improvement from pimped modules is IMO totally worth the increase in price, because a “bit more” tank from a pimped tank module means more apply/DPS rigs and mods ; and better propmod usually means bettter cap . So don’t be afraid to pimp your ship, as long as you are not a sitting duck in a mission hub it should be fine.

So now, about the ship.
Depending on your agents, ships are more or less efficient. eg mach is not that good vs sansha/blood, while NM is.

If you just need to get back to basics, a temporary raven with MJD+AB should be enough to snipe any mission - though not very huge DPS.

raven 500M
[Raven, *Simulated Raven]
Ballistic Control System II
Signal Amplifier II
Damage Control II

Republic Fleet Large Cap Battery
Large Micro Jump Drive
100MN Afterburner II
Republic Fleet Target Painter
Pith C-Type X-Large Shield Booster
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Caldari Navy Kinetic Deflection Field

Cruise Missile Launcher II

Large Warhead Flare Catalyst II
Large Warhead Rigor Catalyst II
Large Core Defense Capacitor Safeguard II

Hornet II x5

Inferno Fury Cruise Missile x162

The pith gives the ability to survive big damage in case you just jumped in with your mjd on cooldown. You can swap it for a gist c-type large, and replace cap rig with a CCC II to be cap stable but at the price of lower shield boosting(more than twice less) - but then you have more fitting room to get a pith hardener.
You need to switch the hardener according to mission (here it is vs mordu/guristas/angel).

Other than that, you warp in, you mjd, then you paint and spread the pain.

If you add a auto-targeting in high (don’t activate it), you have 11 targets (instead of base 7) . you can target at 140 km, at which range your painter will do less effect BUT you can use it to aggro frigates, which then will rush towards you with mwd , while you switch to precision cruise to have better apply
DPS is 870 with cruise @140 km, 620 with precision @116 km
alpha is 6k with cruise, 4k with precision.

2 Likes

Thanks all for the replies, much appreciated. As for the Machariel & rattlesnake suggestions, I may train up the Gallente ship skills one day but I am not looking to go down that route for the foreseeable future as i am working on one skill-plan at a time and finishing the Caldari stuff has me going for another few months.

@Anderson_Geten Thanks for the detailed response, regarding the ganking though I am always on the move, I will be in a mission hub due to the corp I am running missions for (is that really an issue?) and as for war dec’s, I’d be too busy camping people to be flying my PVE ships so that’s not a problem. As for correct price, my budget is around two billion which leaves me with funds for replacements and other stuff but then again if ganking is a problem in mission hubs then I want to minimise my losses. The missions are going to be for Minmatar faction so iirc the enemys are usually Angel Cartel. I’ll fit out a Raven shortly and have a few test runs plus I guess they will get me back up to speed with L4 missions. Thanks again for the response.

1 Like

I think you misunderstood me.

When I say “mission hub”, I mean the few systems that have 10+ people in local doing missions.

Some mission agents are way better than the other, the best mission agents have more people. eg the garoun agent in Aclan, I kow of friends who got their mtu killed there, so while this is one of the best L4 places with Gelfiven(thukker), Villore(fed), Teonusude(thukker), Myyhera(amarr), Vaajaita(cald), this is also a place where you need to be warry of your environment (and please avoid using mtu for “full clear” this is a call to be ganked as well as a loss in isk).
Of course don’t go to lanngisi, there are even people on the undock to scan you…

2 Likes

Ahh gotchya, my mission running location is high - highsec and probably not the most profitable. Used to be really popular but not many people there now which must be down to the profitability. That’s fine with me though, I have a Noctis ready for clearing up the wrecks too so my main ship doesn’t have to hang around once the rats are dealt with. Thanks again.

1 Like

Don’t use a noctis, it’s useless. Unless you have an alt for this.

For the most interesting missions, I gave you a few systems that have good agents. I can’t find an interesting minmatar agent today, the best one in Adrallezoen is less than half the worth of Aclan/Villore.

If I may suggest, go for thukker agents, if you have high matari standing you should also have good thukker standing. Just don’t do storyline for them, it screws almost all other factions. Instead, do matari storyline here and there. thukker in Molden heath are 50% better than matar .

1 Like

If you do the anti amarr thukker missions you’ll make quite a bit on amarr navy tags alone as long as you can suffer the standing loss

1 Like

The one with several BS popping around the structure to destroy ? Or the one where you have to finish a BC ?

1 Like

The first one with the waves of rats poping near a control tower.I used to always do it

1 Like

I’m gonna have to disagree with this. I use a Noctis all the time to salvage and loot Lv 4 missions, with high skills and T2 equipment, the Noctis will clear the field rather quickly.

2 Likes

The Noctis is great for what it does.

What it does isn’t really worth doing in many situations.

1 Like

I agree, the Noctis is a great Salvage ship.

As for it not being worth using, that’s a matter of opinion.

1 Like

Its a matter of definition.

It has good insurance, but there can be more to consider for its worth.

I agree as well. I fit 8 salvagers on it, and it clears the field rather quickly after setting an MTU up to pull everything in.

2 Likes

I don’t use an MTU but it’s definitely something I’m considering on using.

Anyway, with max skills this is my fit:

Noctis
High slots
5x Small Tractor Beam II (96km range)
3x Salvager II (6km range)

Medium slots
1x Large Shield Extender II
1x 50MN Microwarpdrive II

Low slots
3x Power Diagnostic System II (3x Expanded Cargohold II)

Rig slots
1x Medium Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer II
2x Medium Salvage Tackle II

Drone Bay
5x Salvage Drone I

The Salvager modules are extremely quick and usually complete in one cycle. I rarely ever launch the Salvage Drones. Basically I’ll target lock 10 wrecks and activate the 5 tractors. They drag in wrecks real quick so when the wrecks get within looting range, I deselect the tractors and then reactivate them on the rest of the wrecks. Meanwhile I’ll loot all wrecks and then start salvaging.

It’s a bit of a click fest but the whole process is done quickly with no time wasted on waiting.

2 Likes

When I left fountain and came back to high, I started taking mtus with the raven and set them up soon as I enter a room, that way I can go back with the noctis and just vacuum everything up. Your fit is similar to mine. I think I have an AB on mine. It gets up to 600m/s I think

1 Like

Here is the Noctis I use.

[Noctis, Noctis]
Inertial Stabilizers II
Inertial Stabilizers II
Inertial Stabilizers II

50MN Microwarpdrive II
Sensor Booster II, Scan Resolution Script

Small Tractor Beam II
Small Tractor Beam II
Small Tractor Beam II
Small Tractor Beam II
Small Tractor Beam II
Small Tractor Beam II
Salvager II
Salvager II

Medium Hyperspatial Velocity Optimizer II
Medium Cargohold Optimization II
Medium Salvage Tackle II

Salvage Drone I x5

I don’t usually carry a MTU in my mission ships, so the wrecks can be far apart when I come back to salvage/loot, hence the 6 tractor beams. I also find the Hyperspatial rig and Inertial stabs save a lot of align and travel time. My salvage process upon arriving where the wrecks are is to drop an MTU, launch Salvage drones, order the drones to salvage wrecks automatically, and start locking and tractoring in the wrecks farthest away first.

I start with the farthest stuff first because the MTU will pull stuff closest, and I don’t want to compete with it. I find two salvagers to be sufficient along with salvage drones to clear wrecks faster than I can pull them, even with six tractors, especially when the wrecks are 50km+. The MTU also saves the trouble of having to open each wreck/can and loot them individually, which saves a lot of time.

3 Likes