Missions through downtime

21st century and all that. We’ve had 15+ years of missions resetting themselves through downtime. Sometimes they don’t and thet means a stuck mission support ticket.

Please can we either have it consistently resetting through downtime, or not altering state at all so that whatever state the mission was in before downtime, it continues after downtime?

Either way would be an improvement…

I’m sure the person who just completed the mission but could not talk to the agent back would not appreciate if it was reset.
Also you can’t “not touch” them because the DT reset everything.
It MUST reset everything, otherwise the patches would be partially applied.

I’m sure the person who just completed the mission but could not talk to the agent back would not appreciate if it was reset.

And yet that is exactly what happens every DT.
Worse, is when you’re 90% of the way through a mission and it resets, but doesn’t actually respawn.

Also you can’t “not touch” them because the DT reset everything.

DT doesn’t reset everything. Stuff anchored in space still stays. No reason it couldn’t do the same thing for anything mission related while the mission is still active (e.g. 7 days).
If there was a concern about number of objects, allow wrecks to disappear quicker (like they do already), and/or limit the number of ‘active’ missions a player can start at any one time to a reasonable number.

It MUST reset everything, otherwise the patches would be partially applied.

And yet it doesn’t. otherwise MTUs etc would all just vanish.

Nope. The proof is, MTU are still present.
Just need to save them. Then to respawn them.

No. I can kill the final rat and talk to my agent after the DT.
Sometimes it’s stuck I agree with this. Most likely because the database did not save the state of the mission correctly.

Nope. The proof is, MTU are still present.
Just need to save them. Then to respawn them.

I totally agree, that was the point I was making. Stuff in-space is already saved if marked for saving, so no reason other stuff couldn’t also be similarly saved.

No. I can kill the final rat and talk to my agent after the DT.

Mostly, but it’s not guaranteed. Support are starting to ask me (nicely) to only start missions if I’m definitely going to finish them by DT, but that can mean for the last hour or so I can’t start any new ones for the risk that several jumps, do the mission, several back and oops.

This system has been broken forever, would be nice to get it fixed so that it was at least consistent.

1 Like

Precisely the issue that stuff not belonging to player are generated by complex scripts.
This becomes an issue when those scripts can be changed, on the sever, during DT.

Most likely though, it’s an issue of having too many items to store in a db. A sole mission can generate several tens of items to save in the DB, which may prevent the DB from performing the DT operations in time.

there is a clear definition of what is saved and reset.

• the player and thair Drones (drones are still counted as owned by the player)
  • structures, MTUs, DEPOs Ect are anchored in place creating a save state for that object
  • mission Pockets.
  • Anomiles/signatures (have a spawn point and respawn timescales if not completed)
  • Rats spawns will reset as they are dynamic and tied to a per system basis
  • Whecks, although “owned” are dynamic and spawned upon asset/NPC destruction thus have no defined grid (mission despawn around wrecks opening up previously locked pockets)
  • Cans (Jettisoned, not anchored) same instance as wrecks you create a jettison can through salvaging an un-looted wreck, destroying a structure or emptying your cargo in to space

The upshot of this is that a mission is considered a signature with a spawn location and a despawn timer. the NPCs and structures within dont. so a DT will reset the mission state because it could not resolve the status of the entities within the mission pocket

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.