Monthly Economic Report - March 2023

That is a complex system, and without more data about players its hard to say what is the situation.

If the velocity is smaller, but ISK supply is greater, then it must stay in wallets for future wars or something like that. Or people want to see the numbers go up. Number of players also have meaning in that. You dont need to get stuff for nonexistent alts for example, so you dont buy it.

I had 22B trade only ISK value for past month, it was like that for 3 last months. I bought PLEX for 12 months, but also I have seen many people dont doing much, just logging in once a week. They were happy with making 100 M ISK per week. The thing is, people can videly differ.

We need more statistical data.

Obviously.

Not really. We can see by the ISK supply that corporate ISK supply has remained relatively flat. That means you’re not seeing an acceleration of ISK production via means that can be taxed. If we were, then corporate wallets would be getting fatter.

Nor do PLEX factor into this in a meaningful way at all. PLEX aren’t created via an ISK sink, and they don’t function as a faucet. PLEX aren’t part of your ISK wallet. And as far as the ISK veloocity is concerned, PLEX are just another commodity, like Veldspar. So PLEX purchasing habits… aren’t relevant, except in terms of ‘did people move ISK around that way?’

And while we don’t have really detailed statistics on player numbers… you did bring up the numbers on EVE-Offline…

Which, for the last 3 months are… almost perfectly flat.

Then we’ve got Ye Olde Mining/Production/Destruction chart…

Mining’s flat. Destruction’s flat. Production’s… dropped.

The abundance and availability of raw materials hasn’t changed (mining). Destruction’s been flat (and actually ticked down even as a trio of keepstars died. Here’s the zoomed-in bit of the destruction numbers for the 15th of March (when 651b ISK in just 3 hulls died):

So… if those keepstars hadn’t died, would we have seen that number drop to under 700bn?

This all points to people maybe being logged in… but not being active. Not being out in space interacting. Because they don’t need to replace stuff. Or they’re just choosing to not replace stuff. Or… and this is something @Miran_Tereven touched on… a larger percentage of how they’re replacing stuff isn’t ISK.

I can buy a Tempest Fleet Issue in Jita for 631,000,000 ISK.
Or I can buy one in any TLF LP store for 250,000 LP, 0 ISK.

And LP’s gotten a lot easier to earn. See where this is going?

Firetail: 10,000,000 ISK…
or 10,000 LP and a Rifter

It’s entirely possible what we’re seeing in the low ISK velocity is, in effect, that ISK velocity is dropping because ISK is less useful as the default currency—that where replacing ships is concerned… the currency is shifting toward LP.

So we have a Monthly Economic Report… that’s not actually capturing the Economic activity of New Eden.

1 Like

Honest question to ccp and to the community. All those measures that were taken to “fix” the economy (scarcity, indy changes etc), do they have the desired effect, or is it still too early to tell ?

1 Like

Well, probably people got the memo finally. I knew that its better to buy those ships for LP years ago.

This also reminds me that people were bringing up lack of serious economy balancing from CCP, or it have some reason behind it. Like pushing people towards FW.

At the end of the day, depends how easy it is to get, LP or ISK. For me its now ISK, but was LP previously. Depends whats preferred gameplay and such.

Last year at Fanfest, CCP presented some numbers (Eve Data & Analytics about 14 min into YouTube video) that showed that there were 6542 accounts represented by Fanfest attenders. That made up 0.9% of Eve as a whole, which means there were about 727k account at that time. Doing more math from the same data shows 277k players and 1.24M characters.

It’s not that people finally got the memo, it’s that more people who are making LP are doing it to use the proceeds, and not just flip them for ISK via Shield Extenders etc.

Yup, but let’s remember that even that doesn’t really give us actionable numbers a few months later. For example, 1 player goes inactive. Is it a player with 1 account, or a player with (as I’ve known more than a few to have) 20+?

Yes and this is very risky, as some items just deplete and cause huge price pikes due to less selling. Specifically named, deadspace and dropped loot items. The less healthy market the worse it makes it because it becomes easier to monopolize on.

1 Like

Personally I believe it had the opposite effect of what CCP wanted.

CCP’s realization about the playerbase after they nerfed everything and buffed all the NPC’s =

Playerbase reaction after CCP nerfed everything and buffed all the NPC’s =

3 Likes

CCP, as is the wont of all developers, listened to people who told them what they wanted to hear. It didn’t start with the economic overhaul. It didn’t even start with the Blackout. It’s been going on since the game came out.

Hopefully, they’re starting to pay more attention to the people whose advice has been regularly borne out by the data, instead. Some of them are. How high that goes… that’ll be what matters.

3 Likes

If there’s ever gonna be a vote for a new monument in EvE then you have my backing @Arrendis

Singularly, you do more for the community, and in an UN-BIASED way in the monthly reports than ANY OTHER poster.

As a player who made her/his/them fortune from Industry I applaud your valued opinion.

If CCP can, in some way, re-iterate Citadels to be as flexible as the the Small POS used to be but WITHOUT all the issues the POS Code had I would gladly re-sub my accounts…

The WORST thing about EvE currently is the 7 day issue to Structures…

IT.

Eh, Noizy does more than me, by a lot. :wink:
https://nosygamer.blogspot.com/

Mostly at this point, I just poke at things with a stick. And, you know, call out ‘industry’ CSMs who get every question they’re asked about industry wrong. :confused:

1 Like

they did, but then they undid all the work.

I learned a long time ago that it was not so wise to call some of the bigger players out… Silence can be the biggest payout at times…

That said - It’s - Read - (WAS) SUPER EASY to work with said Corps/Alliances when they move around and need “Stuff”…

As someone heavily invested in industry from the start I do miss working with local players “As the Bigger ones moved”…

That element died with the onset of the Citadel for me.

Anyhow - I still think that the work you do for the few that comment in here should be rewarded by CCP.

For me, personally, bringing back an industry that was able to move around WITHIN A DAYS GAME TIME with the small POS was the BEST thing EvE offered… I totally understand that BOTS’s ruined that but by the same token I feel CCP has addressed many of the BOT issues and now it’s time to give some love back to industry…

I have played EvE for about 12 years now but this 7 day timer Citadel thing needs to go if CCP want to attract new “Viable” Corp CEO’s. IMHO.

2 Likes

The ‘7 day’ thing is to ensure people have time to interrupt it, but yeah, I agree that the ‘small POS’ equivalent Medium Upwells should probably go to a 24hr unanchor timer.

2 Likes

Less competition. Unfortunately we have started seeing it aready. Some things get monopolized in a timespan of one day.

A step in the right direction Arrendis but I DO FEEL CCP intentionally left out “Small Upwells” for a reason…

Anyhow, were heading right off topic here with stuff that’s redundant/non-existent …

I wonder how many Capital ships have died in the past, say, 12 to 18 months compared to a similar time-frame BEFORE the changes to CAP ship build requirements…
I ask this because for anyone that does pay to play, I’d imagine it’s a costly hit to a wallet to buy a Cap these days…

Given all the changes in capital production, at this point it’s not even a valid comparison. :person_shrugging: They starved capital production for years, and now they’ve flipped things about so dreads are cheaper than carriers (Which is a good thing). Dreads at this point are set up to be basically disposable, like super-Tornados.

For clarification, this has to do with the changes that were made to Factional Warfare during the Uprising patch.

There were some positive changes in it, like:

• the introduction of the Frontline system, which successfully hamstrung the annoying farmer bots in t1 fitted Tristans to the point where they just stopped.
  • LP payout for defensive plexers increased about twenty-fold. This was kinda nice after supporting my faction without being paid for about 3 years.
  • Some variety in the shape of Battlefield sites.

There were also some negative changes to it, like:

• the addition of the Advantage bar, which you push up or down by doing PVE. Presumably this was done to torture the core playerbase.
  • Changing the plexes from Frigates being the most effective ship type to Cruisers being the most effective ship type, instead of balancing the sites properly for once.
  • Introducing plexes that pay out the full amount of LP to 5 players. Presumably intended to make it so you can share it with friends without screwing LP income. In actuality used by the plague of awoxing multiboxers as a LP faucet.

That last bit has economic implications. The amount of LP in circulation has increased drastically. If I want a Faction ship from a non-Caldari faction, I don’t go to Jita to buy it. I just speak to a contact in the other warzone and go like “Me want 12 Noercers. I give 25 Hookbills. Good, yes?” in Common Lowsec Caveman Speak.

So if people are willing to literally DST to Amarr to pick up a dozen dessies from a friend instead of going to Jita, make of that what you will. That said, I’m no economic boffin. I sustain myself by looting the wrecks of hostile players, and by not dying. I just think that they knew what they were doing when they added 5 man sites. At least, I hope they do.

Nah, they buy 'em in Jita and courier contract them out to where you’ll pick 'em up.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.