Nerf Ganking Megathread

I apologize and I feel that I should never ask for such.

1 Like

Yeah, cant really argue with that, tbh

1 Like

Sadly, the integrity of our poll was compromised my unnamed parties acting in bad faith cough @RGC_Godfather cough. As such, we were forced to reset the poll results and implement VPN and Proxy checking. Please resubmit your votes to Poll: Is Ganking Good For Eve?.

Also, if you can try a VPN, let me know what happens :slight_smile:

it would seem you have confused me with hana lol I only voted once

I know… but Hana doesn’t have a forum user and you encouraged it. So… still counts.

i believe the only answer to this problem would be ccp making an official poll with 1 vote per account and let it be settled. Only Omega accounts and nothing under 90 days so it doesnt get spammed with new accounts just trying to control the vote

Why would the majority who don’t believe that there is even a problem want to vote on the ‘solution’ to the non-existent problem ? To even have such a vote at all is to pre-bias that vote with the notion that a problem exists.

a large group of people perhaps even the majority believe the game does have a problem. putting it to a vote would determine if its a problem or not, thats the point of a vote. If the poll concludes its a problem then something would be done about it and vise versa if its concluded to not be a problem then its just dropped.

You dont actually politics much, do you?

1 Like

Hi RGCG, you clearly have access to data denied to we ordinary folk of New Eden!

Care to share?

2 Likes

lO0a1If
Apparently, not enough to win an internet poll without cheating.

A large group of people also don’t know what selection bias is. It’s why opinion polls have to be so careful. A self-selected group is never a fair sample, because people who have a gripe about an issue are much more likely to say so than people who don’t think there is a problem. Thus a small minority can have an impact much larger than their actual size simply by shouting loudly.

A professional analyst knows these effects and will do much more than just counting raw votes. Should CCP do such an official vote, they should of course hire a guy who is an expert in a) creating surveys b) analyzing the given votes by using interpretation algorithms and c) evaluate the knowledge that can be gained from the poll at all, based on additional goals or limits given by the company management/developers.
So even if an official poll would say that 90% of the accounts voted for the removal of ganking at all, it is in no way mandatory that CCP should or would even consider that.

Even if a statistician determined that players want ganking removed, this doesn’t mean CCP should remove ganking. What players want is often what they don’t need. When I play Monopoly, I want free hotels and endless isk - but that would destroy the game.

2 Likes

Man I wish youd been in charge of the Brexit Referendum.

Continuing the discussion from Highsec Ganking and Long Term for the Game:

Without ganking there’s no reason to buy ships and modules… and I say this as a mining/industrialist.

If you look at the MER the problem is the market is bloated and there’s no serious money to be made except by accepting the miniscule isk of underselling your competition.

I’m restructuring to give away fitted ships to the pilots i research on zkill that are doing the things I think are helping my region in FW and possibly miners that had a nasty gank… not sure on that yet.

Altruism as a gameplay style… subversive… I like it.

2 Likes

The trouble is that people who want such a thing don’t understand how the Eve economy actually works. ISK have to travel through Eve much like a current goes through a wire to operate a machine. There has to be a faucet and a sink. With no ganking there’d be less demand for mining ships, less demand for shields, less demand for all the ganker ships and weapons and ammo, and so on. So ironically there’d be less demand for the very stuff one was mining !

Miners would see prices fall, as huge stocks of ore that nobody wanted to buy built up at stations. With zero risk in highsec the effect would spread to hauling. The highsec mining and hauling industries would be decimated. Nobody would be buying new Orcas. haulers, or other such ships. And who on earth would want to go mine in lowsec when there’s a totally risk free highsec ?

Not only that, but as I could now travel all the way from Jita to Amarr totally risk free, there’d be zero need for any of my highsec combat ships to have weapons or shields. In fact with zero highsec risk there’d be no reason for me to even go to Amarr at all. The highsec weapons and ammo industries would collapse…there’d be no need for them !

The Eve economy needs destruction. Every time a miner mines ore, they depend on there being a ship destroyed for their ore to replace. Miners are quite literally mining destruction, and the more of it there is, the better it is for miners. To exclude miners themselves from that chain is to unravel the entire Eve economy.

1 Like

It’s okay, they don’t care. They would absolutely choose to mine for no gain whatsoever, as long as they can’t lose anything whole doing so. They just want to relax with a spaceship screensaver after a hard day of stamping requisitions or boxing up vacuum cleaners or whatever they do for a living, and not get griefed by children. Mining profits are a concern, but a distant second one at best.

5 Likes

When ‘stop ganking’ miners get large stocks of ore building up at stations because there is no demand locally, it simply never occurs to them that the only thing that is going to shift that ore is the destruction of ships. Someone has to lose their ship in order to create that demand for ore. Far from ganking being unfair…it is actually totally fair that those who make an entire living off the destruction of other people’s ships ought to face the risk of losing their own ship.

2 Likes