Neuroscientist makes amazing claims about Amarrian religious sects!

Sensational news reaches Gutter Press from Gallente space, where a neuroscientist engaged in research in association with the Federation Intelligence Office has claimed that several Amarr religions are caused by mutations in the brain structure !

Incredible !

According to research conducted by former University of Caille researcher Dr. A. Q. Rousseau, the brains of higher ranking Blood Raider operatives, have a malformation in a structure called the Supramarginal Gyrus, which is known to play a role in controlling empathy and egocentricism.

Mutations !

Dr. Rousseau had this to say:
“The brains of the higher ranking operatives that I studied, typically the supramarginal gyrus is distinctly different compared to normal brains. Now, in a normal person, when the neurons in the right supramarginal gyrus are disrupted, this causes the person to project their emotions onto others, as well as causing them to be more egocentric, severely limiting their ability to be empathetic. Which would fit well with the Blood Raiders known behaviours of being severely non empathetic, some might even say sociopathic.”

When questioned about whether the Sani Sabik religion may have been caused by this mutation, Dr. Rousseau said she was not sure. “Religion isn’t my field, but I would say it is possible that people with this mutation are drawn to particular religious interpretations. More research would be necessary.”

Dr. Rousseau was hesitant to reveal the sources of her experimental materials, though different Gutter Press investigations reveal that the FIO, and Federation Navy routinely gather combat debris from mercenary contracts issued to independent capsuleer pilots.

Suspicious !

Gutter Press agents approached members of the public in Amarr space, to see what they had to say about the issue.

“Mutations, eh ? Sounds like the Mark of Molok.”, said one Amarr starship captain.
“While vile mutants still draw breath, there can be no peace”, said an angry-looking Cyberknight.
“Blooder scum. Is there no depth to which they will not sink ?”, asked an Amarr priest.
“Hm, you said blooder officers, right ? what about the ordinary scum ?”, asked an Amarr Navy officer.
“:thinking:” commented an Amarr social media celebrity.

Disturbing !

Federation law enforcement officials were keen to point out that while some moderate Sani Sabik cults are permitted under Federal law, the Blood Raiders remain an outlaw organisation within Federation space.

Gutter Press. News.

12 Likes

Guess that confirms it! You CAN cure religion!

Or at least prune it out with eugenics.

4 Likes

People who willingly join death cults and engage in mass murder have deficient empathy centers, how entirely expected.

9 Likes

Okay, so, the thesis here seems to boil down to, “Psychopathy is an advantage for those seeking promotion in ruthless organizations.”

Which seems a little … obvious?

(Might be worth checking the brain structures of leaders in the Angels, Serpentis, Guristas, and maybe some empire-space military units with reputations for ruthlessness, see if the same thing crops up. Probably not so much Sansha’s Nation, but … hm. Could maybe use Sansha’s Nation as a control group of sorts?)

6 Likes

That’s not a very empathetic assessment.

4 Likes

psychopathic*

1 Like

Is the Mutation specific to Amarr People ?

Is the Mutation naturally Occurring ?

This information is Quite Perturbing.

3 Likes

(((Dr. Rousseau)))

1 Like

Gutter Press has it backwards.

The Chosen people of God are not supposed to have these supramarginal gyrus things. Molok the Deceiver gave these supramarginal gyrus to the Chosen at the close of the last Blood Age, causing them to have Pity on the Minmatar and ceasing their sacrifices, whereupon God became most angry, for the sacrifice of the Minmatar made a sweet scent unto his holy nostrils.

Henceforth, I shall be encouraging experimental supramarginal gyrus removal for the followers of Naupliusism and shall be conducting experimental surgeries upon the Homeless and Refugees and have been inducted into the Faith. I request the assistance of Ms. Yarosara Ruil with this scientific research, should she be willing to offer it.

1 Like

Wait so… because this Gutter Press tabloid happens to rub all the anti-blooders the right way, everyone in this thread is treating this as gospel truth?

I’m not defending Blood Raiders by any means… But couldn’t a similar thing be achieved with a good, solid bump to the frontal lobe?

So far we’ve got one study from one doctor in Gallente space… I think I’m going to go with perturbed on this one, too.

5 Likes

The accuracy of this particular report is certainly suspect. But genetic abnormalities causing a loss of function in the parts of the brain linked to empathy, and the corresponding development of psychopathic behaviors, is hardly a scientific breakthrough. And it’s pretty obvious that such people would be drawn to morally bankrupt organizations like the blood raiders.

8 Likes

Well, Napkins has got a thing for Muck Raker.

4 Likes

The real story here is the outrageous level of disrespect shown by Federal authorities to deceased individuals.
Instead of releasing the bodies to relatives for a proper respectful funeral ceremony, they conduct heinous scientific dissections on them ?
Such depravity and lack of moral righteousness is surely a mark of the fundamental moral corruption at the heart of the Federation.
Would they accept Zainou Biotech performing experiments on the Gallente fallen in the wars ? I think not.
Scandalous.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure rising to the top of most organisations requires ruthlessness, not simply piratical ones.

3 Likes

Yeah, but … maybe not in such a purified form?

It seems like in a lot of organizations a lack of empathy would result in doing something horrifying and getting demoted, if not prosecuted. Being able to be ruthless, or having a ruthless streak, is maybe more beneficial than not being able to switch it off.

(Speaking a little loosely but you get the idea.)

2 Likes

In my experience it is the perception of the act, and the perpetrator of the act, that matters more than the act itself. If anything I’d simply say that the pirate organisations are more honest. It’s not so much a question of them not switching it off as them not having to pretend or place a positive “spin” on their actions. I’m quite certain there are many thousands of things being done in perfectly honest upstanding and legal organisations which would cause us all to wince where they not portrayed in just the way to make them pass unremarked or even be applauded.

3 Likes

Yeah, but, you know what really helps with spin?

Empathy.

2 Likes

You don’t need to possess something to be able to observe its effects. You just have to be smart enough to manipulate it. For example you don’t have to be a cat lover to recognise many people respond favourably to cats.

3 Likes

True, but, it’s easier to act like you respond favorably to cats if you don’t have to fake it-- especially on a continuing basis.

People don’t function at 100% all the time, you know? Eventually you get tired, or hungry, and you have a moment’s flash of irritation or just a moment that falls terribly flat in a way that reveals all too much.

I used to be a little afraid I might be such a person-- that my capacity for being a little cold-blooded meant something deeper and more fundamental was wrong with me.

But … yeah. If there’s something wrong with me, it’s not that.

2 Likes

I can see your point, but I’m also aware people are prone to making excuses, especially if they are in some way dependent on those they’re making excuses for. Really you only have to be 100% around 90% at the most, the rest of the time people will cover for you either because they don’t wish to believe it, supporting you aids their own agenda or for darker reasons still.

3 Likes