New launcher... new Linux error?

Confirm I spent a good hour earlier derping around with this too - Solid broke using steam/proton; was able to finally get it working after rolling back to proton 5.0.10.
Fix action seems to be 5.0.10.

1 Like

The new launcher and game still works on Linux when you play using Steam just set compatibility mode to forced Proton 5.0-10.

1 Like

Im running the Lutris version with Proton… and after the launcher update, its no go ;( and thats the windows launcher…

I’ll never understand why the F we have windows user roaming around here, get back to your MFing section. If we cant get it working, we frankly dont need your help. CCP has made their call, now we make ours. Bye CCP (5 omegas)

1 Like

Spent a bit more time on the Lutris version.

Fix seems to be the same as those using Steam/Proton - Move back to a much older version. As Lutris users don’t have 5.0-10, the closest working one appears to be lutris-4.20-x86_64 - any other version hard crashes out

Thanks to the steam users who helped point this in the right direction.

With how the player count is falling you would think they would try and keep all the players they can. But this is CCP. Intentionally and without warning just wiping out the Linux players. It isn’t like we want support, just dont do what you just did and intentionally kill us off.

2 Likes

This is the nature of unsupported changes. Things break.

While disappointing - it doesn’t help to go at the messenger. They could easily have ignored this and left us to it.

1 Like

Also to touch on what i mentioned - submitted a patch to the Lutris installer, that uses this by default - hopefully someone will review it shortly, so those using a fresh install can get going straight away

2 Likes

linux native launcher at https://binaries.eveonline.com/evelauncher-1747682.tar.gz continues to work fine for me.

The launcher has something to do with the new eden store, plex and skill injectors. I remember for a while after the launcher was put in its current form you could get around it. If you did then you would get an error if you tried to use a skill injector. So all this launcher crap is probably just to support their ever increasing sales push money making schemes.

Same. Back when Elder Scrolls did their graphics change that made it not work on Linux I didn’t install Windows to play, I just cancelled Elder Scrolls. I think It may work again X years later but I never went back and have no desire to try it again.

Such will be the way of EVE. Pretty sad that the game works fine but we are hampered by a trash launcher that pretty much doesn’t provide any benefit to the game.

I am not installing winblowz just to play some game. I do however purchase games that actually support Linux.

2 Likes

Well I got it working by installing an ancient launcher from before they screwed up the launcher last time. All my saved logins, launch groups, etc were wiped. Back to hitting cancel on the launcher update every time I log in for fear that I will download a bad one again lol.

Thanks guys, I solved it by installing the previous version of the launcher, every time I have to cancel the update but for us geeks and just one more click.
I use the staging version of winehq 6.12 and I have no problem. I am not at a level to help you fix the problem on the new launcher but I will help as I can. I think it goes without saying but on the net there is a guide to save the game settings without redoing everything every time you delete everything. Thanks again for the support.

Downgrade to proton 5.0 worked

fully knowing that a not insignificant [stubborn] portion of the player-base is running it on Linux?

I want to pay a subscription to coders who maintain a open source launcher called: EVE Enterprise

1 Like

I feel a need to point out that the first line here is fundamentally false, though likely well-intentioned. It hasn’t been officially supported in years however for much of EVE’s existence it was in fact officially supported on Linux, with some specific conditions and disclaimers.

As others have noted, the support status changed primarily in preparation for the move away from using Cedega for MacOS support. At that time, one of the developers graciously took it upon themselves to continue maintaining a functioning launcher + WINE package in their spare time. Maybe someone else can expand with specifics if anyone cares, but EVE has always had a notably larger than average Linux user base and to some it was originally part of the draw to it.

(Also, I’ll point out that I have limited personal interest here. I “daily drive” Windows but dual-boot and experiment quite often, thus it’s always been nice to have the option available. I simply want to correct a notable misconception for context value.)

3 Likes

Gather around the fire kids, Karak will tell you the story about EVE Linux Support. @CCP_Cemetery you too, since you didn’t get this right.

There was at some point around the Trinity release an officially supported client for Linux from CCP. It was based on Cedega, an ancient proprietary fork of wine from back in the day when wine wasn’t GPL. The MacOS port came from the same company Transgaming, with a similar fork called Cider (Apple wine, you know… haha… anyway)

This official client wasn’t very good. I probably only used it for a couple of days and so did most of the people playing on Linux. It only supported the “classic client”, which was a version of EVE without the Trinity graphics updates. It was also slow and crashed a lot. Meanwhile upstream wine could run the full Trinity Windows client without much issue and with much better performance.

There was just no good reason to use this client. So after only a year or so of supporting Linux, CCP canceled the support again. When they where asked about it at the fanfest, their response was that no one was using the client and that they actually saw that people used other means to play on Linux and that they could detect it. This was the end of the short period of official Linux support.

Some years went by, and along came a dev named @CCP_Snorlax who was from what I could gather mainly looking for a way to get rid of the pretty unstable Cider based client for MacOS. So after years, he did the sensible thing of Just coding wine support into the launcher and used just regular wine (maybe with a couple patches) to get EVE running on Mac. As a personal side project, @CCP_Snorlax created a Launcher version for Linux from this work, but always with the remark that this wasn’t official support.

tl:dr

• There was official Linux support for a short while
  • There was an official Linux client, but it wasn’t native
  • The Linux launcher is a side project of @CCP_Snorlax
  • We always found ways to play this game on Linux without CCP support
6 Likes

On another note. Wine 5.0 seems to be not affected by the crash caused by DXVK, although there seems to be another problem as the launcher just hangs on startup. I’m currently trying to bisect the history to find the regression

For those wondering @CCP_Snorlax left in '18 sometime and went on to found a start up.

In June/July 2018 he was a speaker at WineConf. His talk was about how wine was being used for Eve Online. From what I remember his job at CCP at the time involved looking into the future of the Eve rendering engine together with platform support. From what I gathered talking to him, he was pushing for a switch to Vulkan for long term and cross-platform stability. Never said so directly or officially, but that’s what I gathered.

Then a few months after WineConf, September 2018, he leaves CCP. No reason given. What we do get however is the announcement in February of 2019 that CCP started work on upgrading their engine to DirectX 12. The push for open technology that works cross-platform obviously didn’t work and CCP decided to go all-in on proprietary Microsoft technology.

And then in December 2020 CCP starts work on a native MacOS client. One that uses the metal API. My sources say that CCP got a lot of engineering support from Apple to make the new client. And probably also a lot of money.

In reality all CCP needs to do for linux support is have a proper native launcher. Hell, make it open source and the community will help with the work. The game itself works fine with wine, and likely will keep working fine even with d3d12 features being used. Compared to the engineering effort required to create a whole new mac client, it should be a no-brainer to invest a tiny bit of time into the launcher.

Take out of this what you will, but from my perspective this thread has been coming for a long time. CCP is not yet at Epic Games level where they are actively opposing any way to use anything on linux, but it’s quickly going that way.

6 Likes