New launcher... new Linux error?

Lutris eve client with dxvk stopped working after the launcher update, then tried to resurrect my existing steam instance that, but after the launcher update that also freezes and crashes while it’s still trying to download client updates (Proton 5.0-10).

Update: Lutris version still not working despite tinkering, re-installed eve in steam, was still configured to use proton 5.0-10, and now it works there.

I have no words for this. Cancelling support for one of three possible operating Systems just for the sake of
implementing pretty insignificant graphics effects.
Needles to point out, that this has not been announced in advance by CCP. I mean, customers do pay CCP in advance…

2 Likes

Looks like a lot of words, actually.

Linux is only a “possible” operating system because the community supports it. CCP does not officially support it.

You accepted liability by paying CCP while they officially do not support Linux.

1 Like

I will not be installing Windows just to play EVE, so that’s several accounts I won’t be renewing. Hopefully the savvy headed among the Linux community can find a work-around. I suppose running an older launcher could work, but there seems to be no way to stop it trying to update itself. Not sure I wanna click ‘cancel’ update every time I run the launcher.

Wouldn’t a new native launcher get around this? Seems like it’s always the launcher that’s the problem here.

4 Likes

For those catching up:

As long as you do not update the launcher to today’s version. The game will update and you should be able to continue to play.

If you let the launcher update - welcome to the madhouse. Your best bet is to try and re-install the older launcher or wait for someone to figure out why the launcher hard crashes on login

2 Likes

Wouldn’t a new native launcher get around this? Seems like it’s always the launcher that’s the problem here.

Honestly at this point - i’d take the old approach - The client updates itself and you just login by hand each time. Not pretty, but at least it would work.

Do not feed the trolls.

Yes, it does seem that the launcher seems to cause more problems that anything else. It does make me curious exactly what in the launcher development process that keeps leading to problems. I wonder if they have just as many development issues on Windows and MacOS but we don’t see it because QA comes to the rescue to prevent bad things shipping? I also wonder what the Front End Dev (HTML/JS) vs Back End Dev (C++) ratio is on the Launcher team (kind of assuming they have one)? And maybe some team dynamic / management issues? So many questions spawn from this one point. But not that we’d ever hear.

Support isn’t required, but it would have been nice if you had posted this before you deployed it if you already knew you broke it for the Linux users.

IMHO the MacOS Launcher uses wine as well so how did you get that running there? Custom patched wine? Can we please get this patches if that’s the case?

5 Likes

IMHO the MacOS Launcher uses wine as well so how did you get that running there? Custom patched wine? Can we please get this patches if that’s the case?

I think the launcher on MacOS is native, and hence uses QtKeychain and hence MacOS’s Keychain; but it’s just conjecture.

1 Like

Ah right, my mistake. Obviously it’s a change in the launcher so wine isn’t involved at that stage

Wait, you knew beforehand that it’d break it on Wine/Proton but went ahead anyways, fully knowing that a not insignificant portion of the player-base is running it on Linux? In the midst of an already unprecedented player drop-off ratio?

Supported or not, a bit of heads up and/or technical details on what you changed to break it in advance would have been helpful in starting the process of finding a solution in conjunction with Wine devs.

This is what, the third time you break it so far in 2021? Maybe it really is time to let my 7 accounts lapse fully and not look back…

7 Likes

For those using Steam I had the same problem and I fixed it by uninstalling the game and setting the Compatibility to forced Proton 5.0-10. It now works maybe uninstalling the game is not necessary so you could try to just change compatibility to forced Proton 5.0-10.

1 Like

This is how you lose customers. Great job, CCP. My subs expire this month and I will not be extending them.

1 Like

Does anyone know what version of wine proton 5.0.10 is based on? I was looking at the proton 5 branch on GH and couldn’t figure it out. Could be helpful to know if it was a regression in wine.

I think the version number always reflects the wine version it is based on plus the proton revision at the end. So 5.0 in that case

Thanks @senks !
I thankfully noticed this before updating my launcher. But I’m going to create a new prefix to help test out these new changes too. I don’t know how long the ‘old’ launcher will keep working for :confused:

I was using Lutris, but now Im using SteamPlay with proton 5.0-10 (Steam for Linux), to play the game, until the community finds a solution for wine/lutris users.

Oddly enough when looking at the wine source, the functions used by wine seem to be implemented. Maybe they broke something else, or even multiple things as the DXVK issues show.

I tried older DXVK versions back to 1.5, but no success

I’ve been running Eve under Steam on Ubuntu and it still works after today’s update.