New launcher... new Linux error?

If only wine were free & open source software, and CCP could contribute that compatibility layer to wine to support their players in continuing to use it without causing a temporary and potentially long-term loss in service to a proportion of the paying player base…

If only wine were free & open source software, and CCP could contribute that compatibility layer to wine to support their players in continuing to use it without causing a temporary and potentially long-term loss in service to a proportion of the paying player base…

Alternatively ( as CCP doesn’t support Linux, so has no real incentive to ), we could sponsor a bug bounty / dev time, to help push it across the line.

CCP would need to explicitly specify which syscalls are not implemented in wine for this to work, I think. Otherwise there will be a significant time period between the release of the completely unnecessary breaking patch and being able to play again.

A better question imho is why CCP has kept up the nonsense of refusing to support an OS that it knows a sizeable minority of its player base uses (because it has this forum).

1 Like

IMHO that is just the access token which has a very limited life time.

When they created the new launcher there was some efforts by some to recreate an open source launcher. From what I gathered, the auth seems to be a standard Oauth2. So when you login your character for the first time it will retrieve a refresh token which is valid much longer and is probably what they store somewhere. This can then be used to get a new access token which is what you see on the command line.

So theoretically it should be pretty straight forward to create an open source launcher for starting the game. Updating on the other hand is another topic. I’m not sure if that mechanism is known.

Because it is propitiatory and should focus its development on EVE Anywhere.

Open Collaberation as Marcin expouses is superior inho but EVEs black box developments is empowered by the Kaput System.

The method you mention with the linux launcher doesnt work for me, never worked. Only thing that worked for the past year is playing it through steam.

1 Like

I did not say a word about linux launcher. I am using windows launcher under wine (the one which is linked in my 2nd message in this thread).

So, using an old version of the launcher and cancelling the auto update (30 seconds countdown) is the solution in your opinion? For how long will that work, you think?

Player count all-times-low since 2008 btw and they do this, lmao.

1 Like

It will work until either of 3 things happen:

1. they remove the countdown and instantly install the update so you can’t refuse it.

2. they charge what “credentials” are being transferred from the launcher or the format of them and so the old launcher is no longer compatible with the new client.

3. they charge the mechanism of how the launcher gives credentials to the client, causing a change in where the client looks for the information which it what CCP seems to be working on now.

So who knows how long it will work? It’s a roll of the dice at this point. And then it’s a race between if wine will implement something before CCP finishes their work getting rid of the old way.

1 Like

Implementing would be a lot easier if CCP would let us know exactly what needs implementing.

They pretty much did:

So Wine has to mimic the OS credential storage mechanism.

If that’s the Windows Credential Manager, it’s definitely not a secure store, so I’m assuming it isn’t…

So Wine has to mimic the OS credential storage mechanism.

I’m pretty sure it does, at least partially. If there are particular syscalls that are only stubbed out or missing then it would be helpful to know which ones. IF they are using QtKeyChain for this (which looked likely but it’s hard to tell without direct confirmation), that could make tracking them down easier because we can review what Windows APIs it’s trying to use.

1 Like

Yes. It works for me, so why wouldn’t it be a solution?

As for how long will it work - I can’t speculate. Last 3-4 times it worked long enough for Wine to implement needed APIs on their side.

It seems that bug report do not related to EVE Online Launcher, maybe need to clarify that bug report with affected AppDB application.

And then linux nerds like me can cross their fingers and wait for wine patches that will solve this porblem.

This means that my 2 omega accounts, paid up for a year, now have no way to login. Can I get a refund for the accounts?

You can still use steam + proton 5.0-10, works fine for me

You can also use an old windows launcher.I highly doubt you they will give you a refund as it isn’t their fault you chose to use an obviously unsupported OS. They broke the launcher but they also aren’t promising it would work or continue to work if it did. Use at your own risk.

At least they don’t outright ban Linux players like some games do so be happy for that lol.

1 Like

Can I convert my non steam accounts to using steam?

Also you can simply use proton from steam within lutris