New launcher... new Linux error?

You can just install the game using steam and when you start the game the normal eve launcher starts, there you can add your account by using “Add Account”

I’ll add to the list of user and say -8 omega accounts. I’m not putting more time into a game that might just die on me at any point, where the staff know about this and, despite the well wishes, clearly don’t value Linux users.

I mean… EVE certainly isn’t a game played by geeks is it? Not the sort of social circle that favours Linux at all… muppets

Do you have Discord by chance? Find me in TiS, EN24, INN, TTT or NER server.

Thank you ! this is a perfect example for excelent communication with your customers.

Very well done, or poggers as the young ones already don’t say anymore.

Yesterday Valve sent the right message to all the PC game developers out there. I dearly hope the smart software houses were listening.

Linux totally dominates the embedded, device, mobile, virtualized, containers, microservice, webservices, cloud (even Azure’s!), academia, research and supercomputing markets.

Games are next. Steam Deck is just a stepping stone.

The wise developer starts supporting linux, even unofficially.

The fool developer includes libraries that are not available under linux.

What side is CCP on?

9 Likes

Like steam machines, where are they now btw?

Don’t be delusional, gaben pushes for the right thing (for him) - he needs a hardware/software platform to keep selling games and receive $$, because if he doesn’t get one, owners of other platforms (ms with windows store, google with play store, consoles with their respective stores etc) won’t let steam in or will push steam away from their platforms. So, he uses the only platform not controlled by companies competing with him.

It just happens that his interests are more or less aligned with some people from the linux community. And previous experiments showed that there is a high degree of risk involved, so you can’t say for sure that it’s a stepping stone for something big.

1 Like

This launcher fight is strange, why CCP just can’t enable login from screen as it was before - when you just put login and password … then only thing would needed to be solved is updating …

1 Like

I think it’s not really important what’s on the market today, but what foundations are put forth for the market of tomorrow.

Case in point: EGS, GOG, MSStore are providing some competition to Valve, but they have zero foothold on the hardware segment, while the fat guy already has machines, VR sets, controllers and streamers under is (very long) belt. Now a mobile device. Of course none of these are supposed to be the game changers (pun intended) for a company - as long as the company thrives into being the one-stop-shop for PC gaming delivery.

But on the long run, they are all bricks in the same wall. And as you aptly noticed, Valve didn’t settle for what would lock it in onto platforms it can’t fully control.

The progress that Proton did in two years is astounding. Titles that had zero chances to run under vanilla Wine now can be enjoyed without much hassle. Contributions to Vulkan, backports to Wine itself, going toward a single VR API set, and broadening the userbase of PC platform are just welcomed byproducts.

Even Microsoft themselves are jumping on the only sensible bandwagon. W11, WSL2, Core instead of .Net, the colossal revenue of (Ubuntu in) Azure. I wouldn’t be surprised the day kernel.dll will become kernel.so…

Anyway, this is not the first time linux users had hiccups. Who remembers T3 skins? Or when Snorlax broke the launcher? It happened, it happens, it will happen again. Storing credentials securely is as old as computing, and for every solution found in a native Windows library, there’s at least one workable version in X world.

@CCP_Bartender is there some way to DM you or get a hold of you somehow? I’ve found some things I’d like to discuss with you related to the patch. Thanks!

The Steam Deck looks great but sadly, I doubt it’s going to be popular enough to sway a lot of developers, especially CCP.

I really love how much Valve has invested in Proton, but their hardware track record is worse than Google’s at this point. Steam Controller, Link, Machine, all were abandoned and then discontinued. Even SteamOS was abandoned for quite some time before they rebased it on Arch for the Steam Deck.

I do hope the Steam Deck succeeds, for the sake of gaming on Linux. Hope CCP takes note.

Edit: Also, apparently you can just install Windows on the Deck as well - which doesn’t incentivize developers either.

The vast majority of gamers aren’t going to work out how to sideload an OS onto the tool they buy. They’re just going to use it as is.

During the long testing period of the beta launcher, CCP was very active in verifying and exchanging information in the Linux environment.
Even though it was not a supported environment as it is now
So I felt comfortable playing in a Linux environment.

Now things have changed, and stable play is not expected.
Even if we can clear this update, which we don’t know if the Linux environment can handle, if CCP’s response is the same, it will be repeated again

It’s a good time to talk to Valve, it’s a good time to take the topic elsewhere, it’s a good time for something different than the passive solutions we’ve been using.
I don’t know if the fundamental barrier is technical, financial, or internal politics.
This is not a wall that one person can face alone.
This is a wall that we have to face together.

If we can’t, one day we won’t be able to log in, and that will be the end.

This is a pretty crummy response from the CCP Dev team. They’re about to be enjoying “Scarcity” themselves.

I can confirm that changing your Proton version to 5.0 in Steam will let the game launch. Who knows if this will continue to work.

Removed some off topic posts.

2 Likes

Linux launcher is working for me, for the moment. I gotta copy the overviews and profiles but should work… that untill CCP puts the final nail in the coffin.

Ugh, the ALT being stuck when alt tabbing is the nightmare again ;( having to press multiple times ALT to make sure is not ‘stuck’ is horrid.

I know this might be off-topic, but I can’t resist:
When looking at the issues with the launcher posted by windows users in this forum, I am wondering if CCP has also silently dropped Windows support too :wink:

I guess we (Linux) will see you back coming this fall, “the last windows you never needed” or the windows that forced you to think different.

Don’t tell anyone but more that 40% of mankind uses Linux more than 50 times an hour, when you look at your insta-tic tac account and try to “explain” to me that Android™ is manny, manny different from Linux or something.

I interpreted this statement as a reply to the complaint, that the problem was not communicated beforehand. The link seems to refer to the post by CCP Cemetery in this very thread, which came after people had encountered the problem. Hence I’m not seeing its relevance.

I knew that Linux was not officially supported but the Linux launcher and this forum gave the impression that we are at least wanted and unofficially looked after.

While I can understand that the account security of Win / Mac is a higher priority by a long shot, I can’t help but wonder if there wasn’t a solution that would have also preserved the fortunate - if unofficial - linux compatibility.

A heads-up would have been nice. I updated the launcher and after reading this thread I’m feeling a bit sad and not in the mood of trying to fix this.

As if on cue I received my “your omega is expiring” reminder today. I only ever subscribed for a month and immediately cancelled subscription because there was no linux support (a pre-selectable reason for cancellation, which seems to have been removed a while ago as well). I guess this means there aren’t even enough linux users to warrant that anymore. :worried:

I’m hoping wine will introduce support for this at some point. Until then, fly safe everyone. :cry:

2 Likes