New Pilot - need advice on Skill Planning Software

I just joined… veteran of many other online games, new to this one. I wanted to do skill planning so looked up Evemon downloaded from GitHub, latest version I think.

Evemon asks for API details from a site which I understand does not exist now but may use another system (ESI?) which you need to register an eve developer account but that link tells me my account (new, free) is not eligible for developer.

( for fitting, I tried also to run Pyfa, found the .exe but simply nothing happens when I try run on my computer Win 10)

I joined the Eve Skills Board here https://eveskillboard.com/pilot/Snakekiss_Noir
but not yet sure what I can do with this information as it looks just passive details

Is there something else to use or is skill planning software in Eve now not viable? What should I be doing?

There are 14 (or so) “Core Skills” that will help you no matter what ship you’ll be flying, these are:

Armor Skills

Hull Upgrades : 5% bonus to armor hit points per skill level.
Mechanics : 5% bonus to structure hit points per skill level.

Engineering Skills

Capacitor Systems Operation : 5% reduction in capacitor recharge time per skill level.
Capacitor Management : 5% bonus to capacitor capacity per skill level.
CPU Management : 5% Bonus to ship CPU output per skill level.
Power Grid Management : 5% Bonus to ship’s PowerGrid output per skill level.

Shield Skills

Shield Management : 5% bonus to shield capacity per skill level.
Shield Operation : 5% reduction in shield recharge time per skill level.

Targeting Skills

Long Range Targeting : 5% bonus to targeting range per skill level.
Signature Analysis : 5% improved targeting speed per skill level.

Navigation Skills

Evasive Maneuvering : 5% improved ship agility for all ships per skill level.
Navigation : 5% bonus to sub-warp ship velocity per skill level.
Warp Drive Operation : Each skill level reduces the capacitor need of initiating warp by 10%.

Spaceship Command Skills

Spaceship Command : The basic operation of spaceships. 2% improved ship agility for all ships per skill level.

Yes, in order to be eligible you need to have paid (with credit card) for at least 30 Days Omega-time.

Software-wise EVEMon is probably the best there is; I do not know if there are any other :thinking:

Are you asking how you should start training your character? or just asking in general what sort of activities you can or “should” do?

Well when it comes to training your character the “Magic 14” is a good place to start, keep in mind as a new (Alpha) player there are limits to how high and which skills you can train, the limit for Alphas are around 5 million Skill Points and the skills (and the levels of them) colored in grey are the ones that you can train, you may have to buy them on the market (shortcut is “ALT+R” in-game). Skills and the levels of them that are marked in yellow are locked until you upgrade to Omega-status and so long at you maintain that.

As for what activities you can do, if you haven’t already I would suggest that you complete the Tutorial (briefly shows how you navigate around the UI and get around in the universe), then once you’ve done that it should lead you towards the Career Agents, again,
I suggest that you complete each agent (until you stop being offered missions) they will reward you with ISK and a couple of ships, a few modules to fit on your ship(s), but above all else it will give you an introduction into some of the activities that are available in New Eden (EVE universe).

2 Likes

Thanks @ISD_Sakimura for all your helpful comments and info. I get what you say. I have already started missions, done Military Agents level 1, and 2 but lost my best ship (Slasher) and all my best kit and guns on the 10/10 last mission of level 2 which was a setback. Now started again with another ship on the Exploration Agent’s L1 missions. Doing as much training as I can. Domo arigatou

If you feel the need to do the Career Agents again, they are on 30 days “cooldown”, and each Empire Faction (Amarr, Caldari, Gallente and Minmatar) has their own set of agents (missions are the same though) and is a good way to earn some quick ISK and get a few ships along the way.

As for what to do after the Career Agents, as a brand new player I would recommend doing some PvE stuff, Agent missions, Exploration (Anomalies or Signatures), Mining, Trading etc. to get a better understanding of the basic game mechanics, yes you may lose a ship here and there but don’t let that discourage you, better yet try question yourself about what happened, could you have possibly prevented the loss and how (would a different fitting on your ship help). If you need help try ask in local or corp chat, ask in the Rookie Help chat, or as you have here on forums (slower response time).

1 Like

A couple of useful links:
https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Getting_Started_in_EVE_Online
https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Basic_skills

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.