New player starting goals

Hi all,

New player here.
Glad to play, and looking to establish myself.
For me personally, this means building up some wealth so I can experiment.

In order to get wealth, you need a plan.
Now I am aware of most things you can do: missions, minings, trading, exploration.

I think a good way to start out would be to invest some time in missions, get some ISK, some items, build up some rep with the NPCs as I develop my skillset and gain access to a wider array of ships.

What I am thinking of, as Gallente, is this:

Do some combat missions in a Tristan, train up to cruisers.
Get a Vexor as I develop drone skills.
Get a Myrmidon as i continue to develop drone skills.
End up in a Dominix as I round up my drone skills to an acceptable level.

The aim is to focus mostly on drones, and armor skills, get my fitting skills up to max, and work my way into T2 drones: light, medium, heavy - perhaps sentries.

Next to this:
Train social skills to increase my mission gains.
Train navigation skills.
Salvage?

Not sure if this is a decent track, and I am aware it will take a good time, but it sets a course for me.

Is this decent? And what kind of returns can i expect?
I am aware that for skills across the board for this plan, aiming at lvl 4 is a sweetspot, lvl 5 being the best and opens up T2 paths.

Any feedback is welcome.

NOTE: i chose to stick with Gallente for now, since drones appeal to me!

2 Likes

Welcome to EVE!

This is a solid plan, and kudos for planning things out in advance- that will serve you well as you progress. I have just a few things to add to what you have put down here.

First, make sure that you spend a lot of time at the beginning also focusing on “core skills” as these will help with any ship you fly for any purpose. These include skills related to power grid, CPU, shield (as all ships have shields), etc. Essentially, these are “universal” skills to any ship, so if you decide to train into another ship or do different activities (hauling, exploration, etc.) they will still be a benefit to you.

You are correct that L4 for most skills is the sweet spot, unless there are prerequisites for other skills you need to train (such as T2 modules).

Salvage is a great way to make some extra ISK off of missions, so getting some basic skills there is a good idea.

Lastly, I’d encourage you to explore at lease one or two other things to do in the game beyond missions. Having something else to do if you start to get bored with the missions is very valuable- taking a break to work on some industry or do some exploration can be a great thing.

Good luck, feel free to ask questions as you progress, and have fun!

5 Likes

From Gallente to Gallente: whatever you do, do it not for ISK but for fun. I know incursions would give me most ISK in high sec, but I still stick with L4 security missions and combat exploration because I do not need to wait till the fleet forms and like to be independent from other pilotes. Just an example.

Many players falls into the grind trap and quit the game… I like view of different unique scenario, missions pockets offer to me… angel cathedrals, drone superstructures, serpentis fortifications etc… I tryed out to make ISK from sleepers (WH stuff), but it is all the same repetitive grind action (though better ISK/time ratio). So I stay with missions and (combat) exploration to enjoy the view and loot table surprises. Maybe you are diferent, many players do piracy for living, for example - it is your game.

Now to get it right with missions, you need to shoot right kind of damage and tank right kind of damage - check eve-survival site to see the info. Drones is the gallente way to adapt damage type, just as missiles = caldari way or projectiles are minmatar way.

If you skill social skills, you can jump over L1 missions to L2 and skip tristan completely. For new, low skill, players, CCP implemented the correspondent tool: Gnosis. Passive shield tanked, all gank, Gnosis is OK for L2 missions, for L3 missions you will have to make it active tanked.

For L4 missions you will start with sniper Dominix and sentry drones
[Dominix, PvE cheap]

Drone Damage Amplifier II
IFFA Compact Damage Control
Shadow Serpentis Large Armor Repairer

Large Micro Jump Drive
Denny Enduring Omnidirectional Tracking Link, Optimal Range Script
F-90 Compact Sensor Booster, Targeting Range Script

Tachyon Modulated Energy Beam I, Imperial Navy Radio L
Drone Link Augmentor II
Drone Link Augmentor II
Drone Link Augmentor II

Large Drone Scope Chip I
Large Drone Control Range Augmentor I
Large Ionic Field Projector I

Warden II x5
Curator II x5
Bouncer II x5
Garde II x5

You next step will be Rattlesnake for whole room clean up
[Rattlesnake, Semi sniper light tank]

Ballistic Control System II
Ballistic Control System II
C3-X ‘Hivaa Saitsuo’ Ballistic Control System
C3-X ‘Hivaa Saitsuo’ Ballistic Control System
Federation Navy Drone Damage Amplifier

Missile Guidance Computer II, Missile Precision Script
Pith B-Type Large Shield Booster
Pith X-Type Explosive Deflection Field
Large Micro Jump Drive
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Republic Fleet Large Cap Battery
Alumel-Wired Enduring Sensor Booster, Targeting Range Script

Drone Link Augmentor II
Cruise Missile Launcher II, Scourge Fury Cruise Missile

Large Warhead Flare Catalyst I
Large Capacitor Control Circuit II
Large Capacitor Control Circuit II

Salvage Drone I x5
Berserker II x2
Valkyrie II x5
Bouncer II x2
Ogre II x2

or Machariel for mission blitz:
[Machariel, Blitz Machariel ]

Gyrostabilizer II
Republic Fleet Gyrostabilizer
Republic Fleet Gyrostabilizer
Corpus X-Type Large Armor Repairer
Armor Explosive Hardener II
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II

Tracking Computer II, Optimal Range Script
500MN Microwarpdrive II
Heavy Capacitor Booster II, Cap Booster 800
Republic Fleet Large Cap Battery

800mm Repeating Cannon II, Republic Fleet EMP L
Small Tractor Beam I

Large Hyperspatial Velocity Optimizer II

Hobgoblin II x5
Caldari Navy Warden x4

Just remember always swap hardeners, ammunition and drones accorfing to mission. Many people use maradeur class ships as top tier high sec mission running machine, but they are skill and isk intense, at the time you will need their fits you will be knowing them already :wink:

Good luck.

Free head start for new comers - 250 000 extra skill points

3 Likes

People say “Don’t fly what you can’t afford to lose” is the golden rule of EVE, but they are wrong. This is:

3 Likes

Thank you all!

Any other gallente ships to recommend? Or goals beyond dominix in the t2 range?

Depends on what you want to do, ships are tools with pros and cons. There is no simple linear progression. The Domi is a decent lvl4 runner and a good PvP ship in the right setup, but not so useful elsewhere.

For exploration you have to look for the scan frigates like Imicus and Helios or if you want to spend more ISK the Sisters of EvE line of ships, Astero, Stratios.

If you want to start looking into solo PvP, the Tristan is a good first pick. Check fittings at EvE university.

But to stress again, first chose what you want to do, and where, then chose your ship and fit based on what your endeavor needs.

1 Like

Later on i will delve into more but one needs funds to risk assests :slight_smile:

I might like to do pvp and try some small group stuff, maybe as a support.
Right now i feel missions will let me get the hang of fits, controls, mods and will help me understand better how to optimize my future ships and goals.

I understand pvp and support fits will be different beasts all together from mission fits, but you gotta start somewhere.

Exploration sounds fun too!

As soon as you can invest in+3 or +4 implants remap for higher perception and intelligence and grab a accelerator whenever there’s events this should cut down on your number of days spent training skills.

Don’t invest in charisma and train your social skills to around lvl3 focus alot and I mean alot on your drones try to get all drones support skills to 4 you can also work with just faction drones a long time just invest in the ship skill atleast to 4 asap

As far as other ships you can aim for down the line vexor navy issue is very good aswel as ishtar if you want to use a destroyer on your transition from frigate to cruiser look at the algos destroyer.

You may think about buying some PLEX to ease your start, if you can afford it. A couple hundred million ISK are not much in the grand scheme, but can make a difference in the first months.

Your initial plan sounds fine to me. Bare in mind there is no “best” route since everything depends on you and your preferences. Remember EvE is a game and don’t get too caught up in your losses. I appreciate how it is at first, but remember that focusing on your wallet like a score can make EvE seem like a chore. Your plan should allow you to build your combat skills while you get to grips with the basic mechanics, but remember these skills will also apply nicely to later PvP encounters if that’s what floats your boat. Armor tank is best tank too.

You seem like a good fit for EvE. If you have any queries or you get stuck drop me an EvE Mail.

1 Like

Beyond fitting your ship and training skills look for other players around you in local.
Don’t be shy to ask for advice from veteran players in the game.
Drop a message to anyone who looks decent, add the ones who reply you in a friendly manner to your contact list, drop a o7 in local to the ones you like, join their small chat channel if they have one, socialize, make friendships, even if you are in different corps, doing different activities. And who knows, maybe you’ll find a friendly corp that suits your needs and plans.
You’ll learn more from veterans in game than from any site and the in game communication brings more opportunity to build a stronger connection with others than forum communication. So good luck and be surprised how friendly the veterans are in the game!

2 Likes

Hi

I also started as Gallente back in the day, and continue to play 2 primarily Gallente characters, though I have made others since then ofcorse. And I can tell you things that I wish I had done differently due to the way the overall game works which I know now. Note that these are my personal experiences, and my opinions and conclusions, other peoples may and will vary.

Most of it has to do with training and skill optimization, because lets face it, without ceirtain skills at a decent level you just can’t use ceirtain ships, fits, and have to bypass quite a lot of content making the game not fun.

So, overall you have a right idea if you stay combat oriented, however, I would like to make a few suggestions, this is based on my experience. So here goes:

Don’t worry about ISK, worry about skills and training time. Isk will come by itself following the former. My advice to you is as follows:

Invest a bit. That means, get a few skill injectors. not too many, but just some. It will make things infinetly easier on you as a starter.

Remap your stats. As a combat pilot, in general you want to go for Perception, Willpower, Memory, in that order. Ignore intelligence and charisma.

The 1st skills you should train are Cybernetics to level 5 and Biology to 5 or at least 4. Why ? Because Cybernetics skill lets you use learning implants, and Biology lets you use boosters up to twice their duration at lvl 5, and the learnign implants and boosters give you a gigantic boost in how fast you train.

Next, get the skill called Infomorph Psychology, it lets you have 1 extra jump clone per level. Trust me, you will want jump clones, afterall you don’t want to be trying out PvP in those +5 implants, you’ll lose them. So have different jump clones with different implants, or for starter PvP, no implants at all.

Then work on your capacitor and tank skills. You need things like Mechanics and Hull upgrades at level 5s.Also Capacitor Systems, CPU management, powergrid, Navigation, Evasive manuevering etc. you will want them at 5s ASAP.

Those are the ones I would use injectors on

Then you do your ships and weapons. In general, going up to cruisers and getting your frigate and cruiser to 5s is a good idea. Don’t spread yourself too thin. Go for Gallente frigate 5, and Gallenta cruiser 5. The frigate skills will let you branch out for many different purposses for example NS travel in interceptors, doing some explo, etc.

If you want to run missions, concentrate on getting a nice Vexor Navy Issue (VNI) something like this:

With this you can actually run most L4 missions fairly well, there are only 2 or 3 that will give you issues. Sure there are higher DPS / Tank ships and fits, but this is Gallente and a very nice intemediate ship you can fly while you train into those other ones.

Personal advice, stay away from Proteus. CCP really screwed the pooch on Proteus and Legion. It kinda sucks now and you’ll regret not going for a Loki or even a Tengu down the line if you go for T3Cs. Instead, just go for a VNI for PvE. I also advice to stay away from sentries. Concentrate on flying with medium and heavy T2 drones 1st. Sentries and lights, not so much. Medium drones can hit small targets just as fine as small drones once you get your skills up and can fit stuff correctly, and heavies surpass sentries in DPS output and flexibility. Sentries are only situationally better. Do get salvage drones to level 3 or 4, you’ll love the extra loot.

Drone skills are very good to have in the game because drones have most flexibility and utility out of all the weapon systems.

Turrets … Thats a bit hard to say, originally I went for hybrids to go with Gallente, but now I wish I had picked missles to with Gurista ships, or Minnatar. Also, missles and artillery don’t use cap, which is extremely important for new characters. Hybrids and lasers do. Artillery uses most powergrid though, really a lot, and missles require additional training, they are ineffective with just their partial support skills, have damage application issues until you train those skills up much more then turrets do.

If you plan to do PvE, then train up for Gurista ships, Worm, Gila, Rattlesnake mainly, if PvP, then I highly, highly recommend Arazu and Lachesis :slight_smile: they’re sick ships.

4 Likes

^ Good post.

1 Like

Well, I don’t know how far you actually are - I started Gallente summer 2017, and my first real droneboat was the Algos. A wonderful ship, quick, versatile, decent drone bonus, and a nice drone hold.
Vexor was of course cool, but I lost them quite fast overestimating my power. 10m ISK for a newbro is kinda painful, but no catastrophe. So after you had some training with a Vexor, I highly recommend a VNI as all did above :-).
My next step was the Myrmidon of course, and well, lost some, too :slight_smile:
In a CCP event I got a Megathron - that was blown as I was peeping at a incursion site (hey, it’s a battleship!), it took half a minute to align, that was its doom. I’m not a battleship fan, they are too slow.
At the moment most fun I have with a Talos: Much boom for the buck, love it. Watch out for tank, but 2000 hp volleys are fun :slight_smile:
Another very nice ship is a Federation Navy Comet - an augmented Frigate you can still afford and have fun with.
And of course other races have nice ships, too: Most kills in PvP I have done with a simple Coercer - Lasers are fun.

After some months you can think about bigger ships or T2 ships. I just skilled Interceptors and Assault frigs, but all because of hints and/or roams with friends. So the best ship in EvE is of course friendship :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.