New toy idea: Drone Control Unit. High Slot

Lugh, harvesting tears without even trying…

2 Likes

Yes, this. Plus smart-bombs.

Hence why a little extra zing could be fun.

Increasing Drone Bay I’m not sure about. It’s a turret after all. Hence painter & better transmitter in my idea.

But…

I like the ‘proximity repper unit’ idea. get them back orbiting you and the repper takes over etc. Makes sense for it to be in a High Slot too.

I agree that Drone Bay expansion should be by low-slot or Mids. I also don’t understand why the Drone Damage Amplifier is in the Lows, as the type of oomph needed to increase the blappage on a remote unit will require more than Low Power in reality. Maybe if the Drone Damage Amplifier was moved to a high, and consisted of a more powerful ‘painter & web all-in-one unit’ combi, then that would explain it well science-wise.

Practically how do you increase the damage of a drone whizzing around out there using just a Low Power slot? With a cannon the gyro-mount makes practical sense, plus it’s just springs & pneumatics. A Heat Sink does a laser well, and is just a chunk of special metal. But… A remote drone? Practically there has to be some kind of extra transmission of data, or a increase in the quality of the data transmitted; as well as the ship itself helping the drone apply it’s existing guns better in other ways. To simply put more chunk on the drones would turn a Hobgob into a Hammerhead etc, and that already exists.

And yes I do agree that it should be CPU heavy. It’s an auto-tracking & targeting system after all, and it will have to talk to the Drones A LOT to stay accurate.

So, based on what people have said.

High Power: Lose a turret to gain some drone deeps & accuracy? Better drone damage application etc. Move the ‘drone damage amp’ to a High Slot from low? Looks practical, and scientifically more realistic. In reality you’ll need to paint up & slow the target to get extra damage applied from the Drone, and that takes a fair old amount of power… An auto-turret that does that for you would be useful.

High Power: Extra drone range is already covered by this high power transmitter we already have. The Drone Link in the high slots.

High Power: Proximity repper unit. Switch it on, and when you recall your drones to orbit you they get reps. Fun for longer engagements.

Mids seem ok. Tracking & movement computers make sense here. They’ll need some juice to beef up the existing ship’s control systems.

Low Power: Lose the low slot Drone Damage Amp & shift it to a high slot? Maybe. Low Power can’t transmit much really, so makes no real sense science-wise. It’ll also free up low slots for the CPU boosts you’ll need. Tracking is covered by the Remote Tracking Enhancer, so is this really a passive ‘positioning’ system for drones ( a type of Nav Computer Enhancer )?

So you could keep this passive positioning system ( to help existing drone navigation, so help damage application a bit ) and still have the high slot version too ( doing more deeps than the low-slot version ).

Low Power: Drone Bay expansion by rigs & low-slots? That makes a lot of sense.

Low Power: Just to say: Needed CPU increase by Low Slots? Makes sense.

Extra drone bandwidth seems a bit of a no-no. Hey-ho.

An interesting discussion so far :slight_smile:

My slant is the Orca. A drone bay, needs huge tank to survive a ganking, can’t fire a smart-bomb in High Sec, can’t fit guns & launchers either; so a High Slot ‘Drone Damage Increase’ system would be pretty useful here.

From a role-playing perspective I think there will be market demand for it as a unit.

My understanding is that the Remote Tracking does the Drone-weapon tracking better; the mid-slot Nav Comp helps with speed & positioning, but I just don’t get how a low-slot can increase damage application on a remote system unless it’s a weak Combat Nav computer.

And if you have a weak Combat Nav computer why not have a strong one too? :wink:

That would be neither balanced nor needed. Every drone boat in the game has plenty of things they can do with their high slots, they’re just not directly drone related. Not every ship needs every slot to be able to be focused towards a single goal or module. Generally ships need to do more than one thing, and if you don’t need your high slots for guns or drone range you can fit EWar, smartbombs, or about half a dozen other things that are potentially useful.

Putting in a module that straight up increases damage on drone boats would be pretty hilariously OP. Doubly so if it also provides Ewar, and I don’t think I have a multiplier high enough for what this would do to the Guristas ships.

There’s no need for another Drone module that I can see and you’re not providing one, you’re basically just saying “give us another thing! We need more things!” which isn’t a reason, it’s a solution in search of a problem to solve to justify its existence.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.