New toy idea: Drone Control Unit. High Slot

So we have a Drone Computer in the mids. And also a Tracking Enhancer ( omni ) in the mids. In the Lows we have the Drone Damage Enhancer, and also an Omni Tracking Enhancer too.

In the highs? Nadah bar a Control Link.

So what toy could you put in a High Slot, with all of that power available, to take things up a notch for Drones?

The idea of the High Slot Drone control unit is to expand bandwidth by 10meg per unit, and apply a Target Painter to the target too. Add some power to bandwidth with a active control unit to compliment what the ship already has, and also Paint up the target to help said Drones.

That’s it, nothing more, but it would certainly open up the fun a bit more :slight_smile:

Drone bandwidth is limited on purpose. Drones are already a very strong weapon system and giving them a module like this would make them overpowered. No other weapon systems have a high slot module either.

Indeed, you’ve got control range mods in the high. Don’t need anything else. Least of all a mod that directly adds dps to every ship with a utility high.

…and then all subcaptial drone ships get a fighter hangar with even more fighters the mucherererer control units you fit - my Gila will want to make a lapdance on you <3

1 Like

Well, actually there is high-slot module already available in EVE, named Fighter Support Unit. It does not expand bandwidth but provide nice boost to fighters

because drone ships need more of a buff?

I mean i would be fine if all drone ships got their bandwidth cut so that they needed to fill all their highs with these to get back to normal.

:smiling_imp:

Yes, because allowing pvp ships to run more than 2 geckos ISNT considered OP.

That was my first thought.

Inb4 rattlesnakes with 4-5 geckos. And free target painters to boot!

Edit:
I totally support this idea. 4 geckos on a drone-focused rattle only do 3100 dps. No need to rat in a carrier anymore!

More seriously, this would be stupidly broken.

Better option would be a high slot module that increases Drone Bay size with weapon type fittings. You could do small (25m3)/medium(50m3)/large(125m3) size then. That way you can fit extra flights if you want but raw damage is unchanged. If you wanted you could add a Armor or Hull Hitpoint penalty to further balance.

How about a drone shield/armor rep module?. Can be cycled on and off. Could easily be balanced by adjusting the amount of cap required to cycle and also applying a fairly limited range? say 10km? just a thought

Yeah remove the only real drawback of the weapon system.

You mean any remote shield booster or remote armor repair

1 Like

well no. This idea of a module would happen passively and can only be used on drones - no targeting required. just be in range and turn it on. it might seam unbalanced but like i said… if you put a heavy cap cost on it and a tighter range it seams like a fair trade off to me. Please keep in mind these are only people putting forward ideas. try not to challenge people left right and centre just because you don’t like their idea.

That is literally the point of this forum. People post ideas then others tell them why it’s ■■■■. They then have a choice. Either fix the ■■■■ in their idea, drop the idea or whine about the people showing them the ■■■■ in their idea

2 Likes

That drawback is only minor, bigger drawback is delay in damage application. So having to use exchange a high slot to which reduces cap warfare, rep, or additional weapon damage to get an extra flight of drones is not going to break ship balance. Odds are with drone ships you either have something to counter his drones like a smartbomb in which case an extra flight is not going to matter, or you don’t which means the extra flight doesn’t matter.

Increasing Bandwidth has all sorts of issues. Increasing drone Bay size as long as it is not completely free is not as huge deal.

but its not just one flight… its one flight per ship… that has a much bigger effect

Increasing drone bay comes with the same problems, adding 125m3 to a rattler is retarded broken. You’re just letting ships spew more drones that honestly shouldn’t be allowed to.

Why do you think drones need a buff? Like at all?

1 Like

Better option would be a high slot module that increases Drone Bay size with weapon type fittings. You could do small (25m3)/medium(50m3)/large(125m3) size then. That way you can fit extra flights if you want but raw damage is unchanged. If you wanted you could add a Armor or Hull Hitpoint penalty to further balance.

If drone bay size were adjustable with modules, it should either be with rigs or low slots. Highs don’t really make any sense. If you were to use highs for altering drone capacity, I agree that it should alter drone bandwidth for added available damage. For doing this, you limit it to being able to equip 1 module per ship and you create a small medium and large for a 5/10/25 bandwidth increase. Naturally these modules will be heavy on the cpu, so good luck fitting a tank or any tackle if you oversize it.

There are very good reasons why the hardpoints are there, why both drone bandwidth and dronebay size are fixed. They are important in keeping the ships balanced.

Have you noticed all the nerfs Vexor and Ishtar have gotten lately? They would need much more if they could change the bandwidth or the size of the bay to keep the ships somehow balanced.

You should have seen the Domi(nator)nix with 15 heavy drones… muahahahhaa

Quiet you angry little internet warrior.