Note from retired criminal

I noticed you conveniently forgot to quote a rather important part of my text… i did put the emphasis on there for a reason you know.

Even more irony?

Please point out the ‘sweet comedy’ part, i must have missed it somehow … son :stuck_out_tongue:

You saw it :wink:

I didn’t forget to quote it, I deemed it irrelevant to the point I was making.

Normal PvP is any PvP that occurs within the rules of the game, even those types of PvP that you find distasteful.

2 Likes

^ Not empty quoting.

+1

1 Like

Jonah is also a PvE pure player, if my memory serves.

He is also held in high regard here.

1 Like

There is a big difference between what the general crowd deems normal PvP and some of the ‘hardcore PvP’ that goes on in this game.

The way CCP is slowly adapting towards more enjoyable PvP/PvE and less ‘hardcore PvP’ indicates (to me at least) that they are moving away from their earlier idea’s.

One reason for that could possibly be the way some people tend to believe that the more you harass people the more ‘fun’ they have?

At some point people will have a belly full of this game and stop volunteering as victims for the ‘hardcore PvP’ crowd. A process that is likely already in motion.

2 Likes

No introductions needed. His particular ‘PvE’ is well known :roll_eyes:

“It’s easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths.” - Abrazzar

While CCP are certainly trying to appeal to a wider audience I seriously doubt that they’ll move away from the very core of Eve, that being the possibility of someone screwing up your day is one of the cornerstones of the game.

Dream on about a PvP free area of the game, it’ll never happen.

If CCP don’t consider it to be harassment but normal gameplay, is it actually harassment?

Oh you sweet summer child, that process has been happening since 2003.

Really? What’s that then?

2 Likes

Maybe he heard about the “Great Scrotumite Scandal” of 2015…

I was drunk, it’s not my fault that Angry Concord Guy took offence to my suggestion of a game involving his wife, my pants, several cans of squirty cream and some exotic dancers.

2 Likes

… knows Jonah doesn’t shoot ■■■■. He’s a confirmed bear and very up front about it.

1 Like

That’s really funny. You have zero clue what you’re talking about but you say it with such certainty maybe others with no clue will believe you?

Op… success…?

1 Like

Again with the chagrin… miner/ganker/potatofarmer, calm down already. :roll_eyes:

Isn’t this shaping up to be a jolly event. HOORAH

OP is missing the ‘other half’ of the picture from his rosy recollections of the can-flipping days. Cans existed because they were part of the process of ‘mining for profit’, given the ship stats of those days. Can-flippers were either out to steal the profit, or provoke a fight. Neither of which is beneficial to the people whose primary purpose was to ‘mine for profit’.

However, the risk/reward profile of can mining was enough to continue to lure people out to do it, which provided the ‘ecological basis’ for sufficient cans and sufficient people who valued those cans enough to get angry when provoked by flipping to occasionally fight about it. Those people were out in mining vessels and haulers, not combat vessels. There weren’t there to engage in ‘consensual PvP’. Every can that gets flipped is a loss to them, and directly damaging to their current play style.

The ‘can baiters’ were only part of the ‘ecology’ so long as a sufficient quantity of actual flipping / preying on miners occurred to support a population of anti-predator predators.

Effectively the OP says that he wants to return to a system where people with completely different goals than his are forced, through frustration, ignorance, or simple error; into a playstyle that they did not choose, that is tilted in his favor, and that they typically find annoying in the extreme.

That is the other half of the ‘sigh, I really miss that casual consensual high-sec PvP’ picture. Because it was only entertaining/interesting/voluntary on one side. That’s the reason CCP altered the balance so that miners no longer had to be at the mercy of people who found it amusing to use them as target practice / sources of free ore.

Any long-term gamer is aware the population of those who ‘really just want to PvP’ is a fraction of those who prefer to play in a more casual style… particularly since again and again, those who gaze fondly at their PvP victories seek out the weaker, unprepared targets to prey on, then convince themselves that they were ‘livening up the game for everyone’.

While the tone of my reply here appears negative, please be aware that it is simply observation based on being on both sides of that equation over literally decades of MMO’ing in most genres.

Games that are completely built around PVP (shooters and arenas, mostly) work because there is no one the PVPers can take advantage of. Everyone is in the same boat, with the same goals, using the same tools. Skill, experience, organization are the primary differentiators, not PvE setup vs PVP.

Mixed games (PvE and PvP) almost always tilt towards the PvE side because more people prefer to play that way, and because no matter how often a few players post about their ‘hard-core PvP playstyle’, what most of the PvPers end up doing is going for the easy marks and the low-hanging fruit. And since there are more of those ‘easy marks’, and they typically shell out (en masse) more money than the PvP crowd, the game gets tuned to them.

EVE is remarkable for bucking the trend for so long, and providing a niche for PvP and PvE both. That said, obviously at some point CCP has observed the trends and taken away some of the ‘easy prey’ because it made sense for them to do so.

If you honestly want to see a revival of the ‘casual common PvP’ days, then come up with a mechanism where it is rewarding to both the hunter and the prey, so they actively engage in it, and then you will really see ‘consensual, casual PvP’ happening. Not simply try to re-activate a bygone system where you got your jollies at the expense of someone else’s gaming time and goals.

3 Likes

That’s a lot of typing for something no one is ever gonna read pal!

Mobadder Thworst, the rebel alliance needs you, oh won’t you help great JEETEYE master. The meeting will be held in a remote location, discretion is mandatory.

I know we can’t all agree on this.

However, if NPC’s serviced the same roles I serviced, you would think it was brilliant PvE.

Because I’m a person, with all the swagger and personality that comes with it, I’m much more hateable. And then you start thinking that a person ought not be able to do such a thing.

Games need good and evil to prevent everything from just being the same tone of gray.

You can’t be good unless someone else is evil… and you need both sides to have a story. I provide all you law avoiders an occasion to rise-to.

If you look beyond your personal hatred, you’ll realize the game needs villains.

1 Like

Any examples?

Discretion was never my style.